Your Favorite Backup Goalies

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was pissed that Ray Emery wasn't a starter more than the one season in which he backstopped his team to the Stanley Cup Finals.

He impressed me in Ottawa, and then later in Chicago he shared the Jennings trophy as backup with a 17-1 record and stellar 0.922 save percentage.

goaltender-ray-emery-of-the-ottawa-senators-prepares-to-play-in-game-picture-id74351488

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Does Ken Wregget count? I also always had a soft spot for Jamie McLennan.

For the Rangers, it will be hard for me to love a backup as much as I loved both Glen Healy and Cam Talbot.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I really like Kevin Weekes as a broadcaster and thought him alright as a backup goalie. But I say the same thing about Panger.

weekes.png

9382752823b06f46293f1881885991c3.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
^^^ My God. Hows that for a yesterday/today type comparison? :amazed:
Well, my childhood hero Ken Dryden (the best goalie on the planet 40 years ago) was 6'4 and I at 6'1 thought him much taller when I eventually shook his hand when I was an adult at my full height. (Roy, Hasek and Brodeur are all over 6'0 tall. Panger was a backup and compares sizewise with... Vezina, Brimsek, Broda, except for the fact that they were all-time great starters more than a half century before Panger ever played!).

That said, the Beezer at 5'8 had to back up Richter in New York for a while and it was a travesty.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I really like Kevin Weekes as a broadcaster and thought him alright as a backup goalie. But I say the same thing about Panger.

I was a pretty big Weekes fan when he was with the Canucks. Always felt he was never given the chance to prove how good a goalie he really was.

Is definitely very articulate as a broadcaster. Definitely understands the game both in and out of the crease.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I have quite a few..

To me, when Craig Anderson was the backup in Florida, he should've been the starter, and every game he played looked like it. He was indeed a backup in his time down here.

Glenn Healy will always be a sentimental fav from the 94 Cup team, nice guy from the couple times I've met him too.

In 97, at the NYR fan club luncheon where everyone from Gretzky to Dan Cloutier was there, and Dan and Niklas Sundstrom as the team's fresh faces ended up joining the only kid who didn't have a player preassigned to their table (ME!). Not only was he a damn good goalie and total badass on the ice, and just as nice of a guy off it, but the amount of phone numbers I was given to pass to them...it was like The Scout with Brendan Frasier. It really did happen that way! I really wanted the kid that had Kovalev at his table to die a bloody tortured skin ripping death, but I lived and the 2 of them more than made up for it LOL

Cam filling in for the King, and his Ghostbusters thing, deserves a slot in my heart too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad