Your fav NHL Moments, in person

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So I'm old now -- but have been lucky enough to capture a number of great memories in person. Curious as to hear everyone elses.....

In no particular order --

2003 Stanley Cup, Game 7 -- Saw the Devs hoist the Cup in NJ -- even though GIguere won the Conn Smyth. NJ fans were booing when announced..

2003 Heritage Hockey Classic - in Edmonton, just before Thanksgiving. Still frozen. Saw two outdoor games, retired Habs vs Oil and then the regular season game afterwards.

1983 Isles Stanley Cup Parade- Just a 13 year old Bones, hanging on Merrick Ave, watching the Champs go by.

2002 - Isles vs Leafs, Game 4, -- took mom to the game, and we all know how Mr. Bates went top shelf. Replay still gives me goosebumps

2003 - Isles game in Toronto -- first battle since hit on Peca by Tucker in P/O. Almost got tossed out of arena by security after debating about the legality of the hit with same security team. Was told to "move away" from one officer before he kicked me out of arena. (This was before the players even came out for pregame practice). Not one of my finer moments. We lost game.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Brian Trottier's rookie season . . . I was at the game he broke the rookie scoring record for the NHL in 1976

Not sure if it counts, but I attended the NHL draft down here when we traded for the pick for Barzal . . . was sitting next to Lawson Crouse's uncle, who drove down from Western Canada.

Reactions: crashthenet

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
My dad is a Rangers fan so I didn't get to experience any of the cups in person as I was born in 73.
Trottier's 500th goal.
87 huge 3rd period comeback against the Devils I think it was Bossy's last year playing because he had a goal in that game.
93 playoffs against the Caps in OT.
Banner ceremonies for Potvin, Bossy, Smitty, and Gillies.
Just a few that popped into my head at the moment.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
As a child of the 90's, there isn't a whole lot of good to remember. Then of course I moved away once the team got good and had a bunch of playoff runs.

- Billy Smith going into the rafters
- First Hat Trick: Robert Reichel (11/26/97 vs NYR)
- "Last" NYI-NYR at the Coliseum 3/10/15
- Bates Penalty Shot

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The 2nd and 4th Stanley Cup wins at the Coliseum.
All 4 parades down Hempstead Tpk.
Pat LaFontaine’s 4OT goal at Capital Centre
My first trip to the Montreal Forum (and Chez Paree)
My first trip to Chicago Stadium
The John Tonelli goal against Chico Resch for 15 straight wins.
The playoff comeback win against Michel Dion and the Penguins.

And so many more….

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
So I'm old now -- but have been lucky enough to capture a number of great memories in person. Curious as to hear everyone elses.....

2002 - Isles vs Leafs, Game 4, -- took mom to the game, and we all know how Mr. Bates went top shelf. Replay still gives me goosebumps
My ears are still ringing. Loudest sound I ever experienced. And I have stood behind a 747 taking off.

Reactions: periferal

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Devils beat penguins in OT, playoffs at Brendan Byrne arena, circa 95. Final score 3-2 I believe.

With my son saw Islanders beat Pitt and close out the series a few years ago at Nassau.

Also saw isles beat Washington with my son at the allegedly last game at NVMC

Not a favorite but memorable- the Hunter hit on Turgeon

Vancouver at Colorado and the anthem singer screwed up the Canadian anthem

Isles at Hartford where Brett Lindros ran the goalie and Hartford scored 3 on the ensuing major. Isles lose badly

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Too many, even though there wasn't a lot to cheer for when I was a kid.

No particular order:

All of the first games. My first game, sat up in the 300s at center ice. Back when they had the crappy televisions up there. Saw Palffy score a goal and was hooked. Took my brother to his first Islanders Rags game when Dubie won the game in a shootout to keep the playoff hopes alive in the spring of '07. My first playoff games, game 3 against Buffalo in '07. Took my sister to her first game where we saw Ovechkin torch the Isles back when he was wearing that dumb visor. Took my wife to her first game and she never experienced anything quite like the roar of the crowd after a goal, it scared the shit out of her. Took my daughter to her first game last February against Buffalo. They got blanked so there wasn't much to cheer for but the experience was great nonetheless.

Got to go to some pre-season/rookie scrimmage thing back when Chara was a youngster on the team. Very cool experience for a little kid.

Hickey's OT goal against Florida at the Barclays Center.

The last regular season game at the Coliseum (the first time). My brother and I took our dad so it was nice despite the loss.

All of the away games at different venues.

Reactions: leeroggy

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Saw the Isles win Beat he Sabres in 80 to make the cup finals. Was a ripe 9 year old rug rat. Was upset Dad decided to take mom to the cup finals

Was at the Eater Epic game in person. Had family near Landover MD

Witnessed numerous stupid draft parties as well LGI

Reactions: MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I was fortunate that my family had season tix from '75-'84 and I went to almost every game. Maybe forgetting something, but highlights were:

1st Cup - always and forever the greatest sports moment
Bossy's 50 in 50 vs Quebec (he scored both goals late in the game and the crowd went nuts)
The comeback game vs PIT when JT scored in OT (and no dynasty without Mike McEwen!)
The double chili game (just a regular season game, but the NYR abuse was beautiful)
Tonelli's late goal for the 15th straight win to set a record
Trottier's 5 point home debut (we have a scorer?!)
Morrow's OT goal vs NYR

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Dave Scatchard hat trick around Valentine's day with my daughter. Still have pink pucks.

2002 game 6 with my son. Cairns delivers a beat down and the place was out of control the whole night. Driving through the lot before the game was wild. Misty, foggy, burning flags, chaos. I always liked Jim Cummins.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
And honestly, every time going to the Coliseum as a kid.

The hot pretzel and cigarette smells walking in
My feet sticking to floor in the bathroom lol (didn't know why back then)
Sitting in those gross ass seats - even then I knew
Stale beer stench
Racing to get the game notes booklet
Never had a better bucket of popcorn than at the NVMC
Being able to say "The Rangers Suck" and getting away with cursing

I didn't know that they sucked, those guys were hockey gods

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I was fortunate that my family had season tix from '75-'84 and I went to almost every game. Maybe forgetting something, but highlights were:

Bossy's 50 in 50 vs Quebec (he scored both goals late in the game and the crowd went nuts)
The comeback game vs PIT when JT scored in OT (and no dynasty without Mike McEwen!)
The double chili game (just a regular season game, but the NYR abuse was beautiful)
Morrow's OT goal vs NYR

You're very lucky!

Reactions: doublechili

Jethro

Another relic...
Oct 9, 2015
S. Florida

Morrow's OT goal vs NYR
As mentioned in other threads I was extremely lucky enough to be present at three of these (1st Cup, Bossy's 50 in 50, and the Double Chili game). Had an uncle with season tix, although the Cup win and the chili game came through other means.

I have fond memories of spending hours cutting newspaper confetti strips with my brother, walking into the Coli with them in a brown paper bag, and covering my uncle's section (318) with handfuls after each goal, much to the dismay of his friends.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Some of the most fun I’ve ever had at a game was Game 4 against Boston in 2021. It felt like a literal party in the Coliseum, such an unreal atmosphere and a great win.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Game 3 1993 Patrick Division Final against Pittsburgh. Tom Fitzgerald with 2 SHG and my first playoff game.

Game 6 2016 Eastern Conference First Round against Florida. Tavares 2OT winner to clinch the Isles first playoff series win in a LONG time.

Game 6 2021 Eastern Conference Second Round. Series clinching win against the Bruins. I'll never forget how the Isles just toyed with the Bruins while on the PP late in the 3rd; just possessing the puck and killing the clock.

Game 6 2021 Eastern Conference Final. Pulock playing goalie in the games final seconds to preserve the tie and send the game to OT. Beau ripping it home in the early part of the OT, sending them to Game 7 amidst a hail storm of beer bottles. Normally that type of display would really piss me off, but it was years and years and years of frustrations being released by a still-traumatized fanbase. Pity they couldn't get it done in Game 7.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hamonic ragdolling Malkin after the Isles beat the Penguins in a PO game at the colisseum… forget the date, but it was the game Cizikas scored that super-flukey goal along the ice on a wide-angle backhand

someone mentioned popcorn at the coli. I miss the pretzels they had.

Pretzel and a mongo size beer, 2x.
But where did you put the beers? In THOSE cupholders? Fat chance

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Born in '95. A lot of memories.

Bates Penalty Shot

Frans Nielsen's first goal against MTL

Lee's first Goal vs Winnipeg

Fight Night vs the Pens

Every game against PIT in 2013 playoffs (Fleuuuury, Fleuuuury)

Game 3 vs WSH in 2015 (Tavares OT winner)

Game 1 to the Island vs PIT 2019

Game 4 vs PIT 2021

Game 4 vs BOS 2021

Game 4 vs Tampa (Pulock Save)

Game 6 v Tampa (Beau OT Winner)

Game 3 vs Carolina last year

Scott Gomez ending his insane goalless streak against us when he was with MTL (fitting)

Jose Theodore scored a goal at a game in the early 2000's I went to. Pretty memorable.

And so much more

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
2021 game 6 vs PIT is the easy winner for me, first time they ever won a playoff game I had gone to and it was an elimination game. The environment was especially electric because of the COVID situation, where ~9000 live sports-starved fans managed to sound like 9 million.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
1983 nhl all star game at our house. Even back then the roof leaked.
Gretzky hat trick in the third period

1987 game 7 at the Spectrum in Philly . Tough MF fans down there.
We went out drinking Friday night on Long Island . 6am for some reason we decided to go to Saturday game 7. Drove the Camaro down to Philly now what do we do that early in the morning . Well across the street the Eagles had training camp. We watched them until whatever the time was that we could check into the Marriott. Keith Byers messed up his foot that morning during practice he had broken it in college I think. Anyway got some sleep and a shower we went to the Spectrum and scalped tickets . The freaken seats were behind a concrete column so we sat on the stairs for the game.
bad ass fans no little kids like at our house. So anyway they kicked our ass 5-1.
after we went to the Marriott bar and many Eagles were in there . We hung out with Mike Quick and some others I can’t remember .super nice guys.
i remember someone popped in to announce curfew for the players so we had to say goodbye but Quick put money on the bar and told the bartender my friends from Long Island are covered for the night . Sunday at some point we must have made it home since I’m here today. LGI

i got some more but that’s a classic for me ….. LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad