Your expectations of this team going for foward

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are just huge. Still. If we're talking about the playoffs, it will depend on their health. I think we'll be a top 3-6 seed as long as they don't each miss more than 15-20 games. Right now, I think they're personally responsible for our success more so than anyone, even Nyquist or Howard.

I mean, they're both on pace for over 100 points this season. It's ridiculous. They're so damn good. I fear for this team when they retire. Where are we going to find PPG+ Selke caliber centers? Two of them no less?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I see us finishing 3rd in the division, with between 97-103 points.

Boston- Having a slow start, but are also injury riddled. I expect them to get better as the year goes on, and once they get healthy, will be in competition for first in the division.

Buffalo- Terrible team, will obviously win some games throughout the long season (last night), but ultimately a bad team in the league.

Florida- Are actually playing some good hockey right now, and are more competitive than I expected. In the end, they do not have enough offensive production to win in this league, and surely their strong defensive play so far will come back to where it should be. Improving, but not there yet.

Montreal- Despite their hot start, I am not convinced they are anything special. They are still a playoff team, but are not really scaring anybody when they see them on the schedule.

Ottawa- They are surprisingly playing well. They are a young, fast team, who are playing well as a unit. Still, like Florida, not enough offence to be real competitive yet.

Tampa Bay- One of the deepest teams in the NHL offensively. They were already good at scoring goals, throw in Kucherov, Drouin, Namestnikov, and this team could be scary.

Toronto- Similar to last year, extremely inconsistent. They will win some games, and stay in the playoff hunt all year, but I don't really think they are a huge threat.

The way I see the division shaping up:
1- Tampa or Boston
2- Tampa or Boston
3- Detroit
4- Montreal
5- Ottawa or Toronto
6- Ottawa or Toronto
7- Florida
8- Buffalo

If this is the case, we will be in tough with a first round matchup with Boston or Tampa. They are not miles ahead of us, but are definitely better teams. The Atlantic is a far better division than the Metro from top to bottom, so expect some great first round matchups in the division in April.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Going forward? I expect Holland to find the fountain of youth for Datsyuk and Zetterberg because once they're done they might be a lottery team. Sorry.

Until then, though, if Howard catches fire they have a legit shot at the conference finals.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I expect if we don't land a strong Dman come the playoffs or find a way to use Smith more offensively than we are going to be a Round 1 out. I'd also expect the administration to make a move for a center or at the least talk about it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The chemistry between Datsyuk and Zetterberg is back in full force. I think Tampa Bay is the team to beat in the East and after that, this team is right there with Montreal and Pittsburgh.

If the defence holds up and the 3rd line gets running again, the sky's the limit.

Pretty much this. And I'm not so sold for Tampa Bay's overall defensive system. Too many unproven and inexperienced kids there. Lots of offensive power but... defensive teams roll at playoff time. Also Bishop's excellence hasn't seen a long-term test yet.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Pretty much this. And I'm not so sold for Tampa Bay's overall defensive system. Too many unproven and inexperienced kids there. Lots of offensive power but... defensive teams roll at playoff time. Also Bishop's excellence hasn't seen a long-term test yet.
While I agree Bishop hasn't seen long-term success but he's too big, quick and technically sound to not be a good goaltender. At the same token you can argue that Nyquist hasn't seen a long-term test yet either. Or Tatar. Or Smith. Or Sheahan. Or a lot of this Red Wings team.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Going forward? I expect Holland to find the fountain of youth for Datsyuk and Zetterberg because once they're done they might be a lottery team. Sorry.

Until then, though, if Howard catches fire they have a legit shot at the conference finals.

But D and Z missed half the year last year and we were certainly not a lottery team....

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
But D and Z missed half the year last year and we were certainly not a lottery team....

They played more than half the games and we barely snuck into the playoffs.

If we don't have them the whole year, we would have been in the bottom half of the league. Probably bottom third. The production you lose with them, the leadership, the consistency, the defensive responsibility. It's all too much.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
And Nyquist was, and still is, riding a ridiculous hot streak which was basically the reason why that team kept afloat. I hope he continues to ride it but I doubt he's going to keep scoring at a 30% clip.

Andersson was their #2C at one point. Do you really feel confident as Andersson being your #2C? Weiss is arguably a complete loss at this point. Helm doesn't belong anywhere near the top 6. Sheahan, while capable of being a #2, is the perfect #3C IMO. So, you're left with Larkin and that's about it. You hope Larkin is your future #1, at the worst #2, which is why Holland is justifiably reluctant to trade him. But let's say he doesn't pan out. Who's your #1C and #2C? Please don't say going through FA. They rarely hit the free market and even if they did Holland is worse in FA than he is at trading.

All I'm saying is there aren't too many teams that go far in the playoffs that aren't deep in the center position.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
And Nyquist was, and still is, riding a ridiculous hot streak which was basically the reason why that team kept afloat. I hope he continues to ride it but I doubt he's going to keep scoring at a 30% clip.

Andersson was their #2C at one point. Do you really feel confident as Andersson being your #2C? Weiss is arguably a complete loss at this point. Helm doesn't belong anywhere near the top 6. Sheahan, while capable of being a #2, is the perfect #3C IMO. So, you're left with Larkin and that's about it. You hope Larkin is your future #1, at the worst #2, which is why Holland is justifiably reluctant to trade him. But let's say he doesn't pan out. Who's your #1C and #2C? Please don't say going through FA. They rarely hit the free market and even if they did Holland is worse in FA than he is at trading.

All I'm saying is there aren't too many teams that go far in the playoffs that aren't deep in the center position.

My thoughts exactly, while the D is a huge issue I think our 2 way forward game is strong enough to mitigate many of the effects of having an average-ish D core. Our Fs are having issues putting the puck in the net though and I worry that playing Helm/Sheahan at 2C is giving them matchups that they can't handle. Obviously, we can fix our scoring issues with more help from the D but as far as a future C goes, I think we're missing one with the loss of Weiss.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

It happens... Spezza, Kesler, Stastny, Seguin, Carter, Richards, J. Staal, Filppula, Weiss, Turris, Richards, Roy, Jokinen, Ribeiro, Cogliano, Grabovski, and Umberger have all changed teams over the past few seasons.

It's going to be nearly impossible to replace Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but there's time. If Mantha becomes anything close to what we hope he'll be, centers will want to play with him.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It happens... Spezza, Kesler, Stastny, Seguin, Carter, Richards, J. Staal, Filppula, Turris, Richards, Roy, Jokinen, Ribeiro, Cogliano, Grabovski, and Umberger have all changed teams over the past few seasons.
FTFY. All I did was take out Weiss :laugh:

Servicable centerman definitely hit the market, my point was more or less saying getting a Datsyuk or Zetterberg through FA rarely happens. Seguin would really be the only name I'd pluck out of that list. Spezza too.

It's going to be nearly impossible to replace Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but there's time. If Mantha becomes anything close to what we hope he'll be, centers will want to play with him.
I agree

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
My thoughts exactly, while the D is a huge issue I think our 2 way forward game is strong enough to mitigate many of the effects of having an average-ish D core. Our Fs are having issues putting the puck in the net though and I worry that playing Helm/Sheahan at 2C is giving them matchups that they can't handle. Obviously, we can fix our scoring issues with more help from the D but as far as a future C goes, I think we're missing one with the loss of Weiss.
Yep. They aren't going to have a true #1D but I think they'll be perfectly fine in the hands of DK, XO, Smith, Marchenko, Sproul, etc. They aren't going to set the world on fire but they'll be deep enough to get the job done and then some.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
without an improved defence the answer is simply nowehere

sure we wil make the playoffs but thats not success when more than 50% of the league also does so

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Does anyone think Det will make moves before the deadline to aquire anyone? Or will they stay the same-let's assume no major injuries a la last season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does anyone think Det will make moves before the deadline to aquire anyone? Or will they stay the same-let's assume no major injuries a la last season.

I think we will do a big move ot at least have a great probability for that. There's huge capspace growing for trade deadline deals which is really exceptional compared to previous seasons.

We could easily be on the run for Brian Campbell, Byfuglien or Mike Green if their teams will drop out of the playoff race.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

If we finish top 4 in the conference I think the probability of making a move sky-rockets. Considering Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall aren't getting any younger, it would be incredibly stupid not to try to go for a Cup and try and obtain one or two missing pieces while all three are clearly still at a very elite level.

If we're a bubble team, not sure if we'll try anything.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I don't know what the OP is talking about. There is only one reason the Wings are looking good now, and he is wearing #13. Take him out and that team may possibly make playoffs on the final day of the season. With him having a Hart season as he is now, they can make it to the second round.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't know what the OP is talking about. There is only one reason the Wings are looking good now, and he is wearing #13. Take him out and that team may possibly make playoffs on the final day of the season. With him having a Hart season as he is now, they can make it to the second round.

That's not at all true. Z is having a phenomenal season. Nyquist already has 7 goals. Howard has had a bounce back year. Kronwall has been huge. Glendenning has played a part, freeing up Datsyuk and Z from the tough defensive assignments. I think taking out Z or Kronwall, probably Howard too, would have the same effect on the team.

Although I won't argue the fact that Datsyuk has been the team's best player since he debuted. But that's what every team needs to succeed, their best players playing like their best players. Take Crosby, or Tavares, or Stamkos, or Toews off their respective teams and I think they would struggle this year as well.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think defence is ok. servicable. Even Lashoff wasn't too bad.

I think the problem is the offence. At this point, I think we need to penetrate the middle of the ice, often called 'the house', more somehow. It is clear we arent going to score much from perimeter. Shots launched from the middle is usually the one that creates juicy rebound as well. Now that I think about it, I think our PP need to focus more on getting into the house as well.

Getting back into the topic, if our scoring improves, I'm not too concerned about making a trade right now. I think this team has more potential than what currently meets the eyes. I wouldnt mind taking a wait and see approach.

Perhaps we can get a more solid Backup goalie that we wont hesitate to start.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think defence is ok. servicable. Even Lashoff wasn't too bad.

I think the problem is the offence. At this point, I think we need to penetrate the middle of the ice, often called 'the house', more somehow. It is clear we arent going to score much from perimeter. Shots launched from the middle is usually the one that creates juicy rebound as well. Now that I think about it, I think our PP need to focus more on getting into the house as well.

Getting back into the topic, if our scoring improves, I'm not too concerned about making a trade right now. I think this team has more potential than what currently meets the eyes. I wouldnt mind taking a wait and see approach.

Perhaps we can get a more solid Backup goalie that we wont hesitate to start.

I think we were (probably still are) leaning on Alfredsson coming back. Wouldn't have hurt if Mantha had shown to be ready, either. Or if Weiss could get his game together. To have all of three of those guys either out or not live up to expectations is a bit of ugly luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad