Your expectations of this team going for foward

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Since the 2009-2010 season, this team has started it's decline. It took a HUGE dip in the 2010-2011, and did not stop.

Last season we were at rock bottom. Our goalie was having his worst season in his career (sophomore year doesn't count, as I think he, and most pro get a pass their sophomore year). Our offense sucked. Our defense was worse. Not only that, but the Wings were decimated by injuries to key players.

In come the kids. They carry the (Nyquist makes himself known) team. They squeak into the playoffs.

Season 2014/2015 rolls around. We're 10 games in; around .700. We haven't looked this good since 2009-2010 (still had flaws that season, but a dangerous team nonetheless).

Watching the team, and it doesn't look fluky. They out played the Ducks. Hung with the Habs. I don't want to mention the Flyers game, and they lost in a shoot out to Boston (?). They look legit. Howard is back in form. Actually looks better than his all-star year (his rebound control is better now than it was back then). The defense is on point....for the most part. Howard bails them out 92-93% of the time.

Most importantly...the offense is starting to click. You can tell. They look more and more comfortable in the offensive zone.

Going into this season, I was thinking bubble team. I'm not quite so sure now. Tampa and Montreal look like they may duke it out for division lead... but I'm call it now: Detroit will be a dark horse to take the Atlantic Division. Depending on the match ups, possibly a conference final appearance!

I don't think they will be good enough for the Presidents trophy. But I'm convinced that the team is no longer on the decline, and the torches are now properly being passed over. 3-5 years from now...Dats and Zets will have to be replaced. But that's a whole different can of worms. Hopefully this team can get them another cup.

What's this boards expectations now that we have seen the team play. Forget sample sizes. Records and all that jazz. What's does your gut tell you when you watch them. Curious.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Same thing I said entering the season, this team is good enough to have home ice for the opening round of the playoffs. That is my expectation, it won't be easy but that should be the goal in the room in terms of the regular season. Once in I like the way they will matchup with either Tampa or Montreal, I don't really want Boston. The Bruins aren't what they have been recently, but they are starting to turn a corner in my opinion and will be there at the end to deal with, those are the four horses in our division and I expect Ottawa will fade.

On the playoffs Columbus' issues have opened up a spot I had kind of penciled in, I think their injuries are too much. Either way we should at worst lock down the 7th spot or first wild card in my opinion.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I've probably been a bit more optimistic than most around here from the start, but if we stay relatively healthy? I don't see a reason why we won't be top 3 in the East, top 2 in the Atlantic...

I'm expecting us to get to the 2nd round, and I'm expecting that to be a hard fought series that could go either way.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are just huge. Still. If we're talking about the playoffs, it will depend on their health. I think we'll be a top 3-6 seed as long as they don't each miss more than 15-20 games. Right now, I think they're personally responsible for our success more so than anyone, even Nyquist or Howard.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
i can see a conference finals appearance.

first round, say we play montreal. confident we can beat them in a 7-game series. second round, a tired tampa team that's beaten up by boston. yeah, we squeeze by them. and then conference finals? the east is wide open, let's say new york pulls another upset or philly squeaks by one of these teams...hell even pittsburgh. we can beat any of those teams.

we're a much, much better team this year than last. everyone seems to have bought into the system, and most importantly, howard is back to form.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
i can see a conference finals appearance.

first round, say we play montreal. confident we can beat them in a 7-game series. second round, a tired tampa team that's beaten up by boston. yeah, we squeeze by them. and then conference finals? the east is wide open, let's say new york pulls another upset or philly squeaks by one of these teams...hell even pittsburgh. we can beat any of those teams.

we're a much, much better team this year than last. everyone seems to have bought into the system, and most importantly, howard is back to form.

That's the thing. I don't think we're necessarily that much of a better team in terms of talent and growth. But I do think we're a hell of a lot better team in terms of functionality. We're so much more cohesive than last year. Thats part of the reason why I worry about injuries. Too many injuries, even to non-key players, and we could get out of sync. That's our biggest enemy, IMO - constantly having to juggle the roster like we did last year could really bring us down.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Playoffs for sure. Winning our division is possible.

If we can get a RHD in the lineup I think we could go far as long as D and Z stay healthy.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
OK. So I wasn't thinking like a madman then.

Most likely 3rd in the division. But the team is more than capable of take first. Just have to contend with two tough teams in Tampa and Montreal.

Realistically, I think a 2nd round exit it most likely. But I can see this team pushing to a conference finals.

But as already mentioned: Health is key.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
That's the thing. I don't think we're necessarily that much of a better team in terms of talent and growth. But I do think we're a hell of a lot better team in terms of functionality. We're so much more cohesive than last year. Thats part of the reason why I worry about injuries. Too many injuries, even to non-key players, and we could get out of sync. That's our biggest enemy, IMO - constantly having to juggle the roster like we did last year could really bring us down.

well yeah, i think less injuries is a given. last year was ridiculous - here's hoping we dont have to deal with that again.

if we can stay relatively healthy, i think we can challenge for a cup finals appearance. the thing is, tatar and sheahan haven't started finding the scoresheet yet, and it's only a matter of time before they do (they're buzzing on nearly every shift). once that picks up, our secondary scoring will finally be there, and that should make us that much harder to deal with.

also, if we can pick up one of byfuglien/green at the deadline, our chance of being cup contenders goes up exponentially.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I was a little confused when everyone flipped out that Holland didn't do anything this summer. I mean, getting a stable defenseman that can chip in on offense would be nice, sure.

We're not a bottom of the barrel team. We've got talent, we've got the best coach in the league, and we've got one of the best organizations in the league. There's no reason to be pessimistic for the season.

The kids have more experience. They're finding their roles on the team. The defense has really settled down and can take care of things in their own zone. We'll have our good stretches and bad stretches. Players will be up and down. Franzen will be cold for a while then be hot for a while. The tides will rise and fall. I think we can hope for home ice advantage in the playoffs.

That said, if we go through the injury thing again, all bets are off. I'll be interested to see how the team accommodates Quincey's injury.

Actual Thought*

I think the team has played well thus far. They are well coached and structured. They play fast and it is only the first 10 games. Given some health they will be clicking by the end of the year. I expect them to win their division and possibly be #1 in the east. I suspect a trade deadline deal will happen as they prepare to make a run. Cup Final.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Same thing I said entering the season, this team is good enough to have home ice for the opening round of the playoffs. That is my expectation, it won't be easy but that should be the goal in the room in terms of the regular season. Once in I like the way they will matchup with either Tampa or Montreal, I don't really want Boston. The Bruins aren't what they have been recently, but they are starting to turn a corner in my opinion and will be there at the end to deal with, those are the four horses in our division and I expect Ottawa will fade.

On the playoffs Columbus' issues have opened up a spot I had kind of penciled in, I think their injuries are too much. Either way we should at worst lock down the 7th spot or first wild card in my opinion.

This is the realistic expectation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was a little confused when everyone flipped out that Holland didn't do anything this summer. I mean, getting a stable defenseman that can chip in on offense would be nice, sure.

We're not a bottom of the barrel team. We've got talent, we've got the best coach in the league, and we've got one of the best organizations in the league. There's no reason to be pessimistic for the season.

The kids have more experience. They're finding their roles on the team. The defense has really settled down and can take care of things in their own zone. We'll have our good stretches and bad stretches. Players will be up and down. Franzen will be cold for a while then be hot for a while. The tides will rise and fall. I think we can hope for home ice advantage in the playoffs.

That said, if we go through the injury thing again, all bets are off. I'll be interested to see how the team accommodates Quincey's injury.

We have one defenseman that creates offense. It was a very legitimate concern.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I think the team has played well thus far. They are well coached and structured. They play fast and it is only the first 10 games. Given some health they will be clicking by the end of the year. I expect them to win their division and possibly be #1 in the east. I suspect a trade deadline deal will happen as they prepare to make a run. Cup Final.

Same but I expect a 2nd round loss. The kids aren't ready yet.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Largely depends on the health of Datsyuk and Zetterberg; however, currently they both look phenomenal and are playing as good as I've seen them play since 2009. Datsyuk has 5 goals, 5 assists in 6 games :amazed:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Largely depends on the health of Datsyuk and Zetterberg; however, currently they both look phenomenal and are playing as good as I've seen them play since 2009. Datsyuk has 5 goals, 5 assists in 6 games :amazed:

and has had multiple goals called off already on top of that :laugh:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
The chemistry between Datsyuk and Zetterberg is back in full force. I think Tampa Bay is the team to beat in the East and after that, this team is right there with Montreal and Pittsburgh.

If the defence holds up and the 3rd line gets running again, the sky's the limit.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
We should be competing for 2nd place in the Atlantic and into the EC Semis, at least. Zero reason we should miss the playoffs.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm thinking 3rd or 4th overall in the east with the possibility of a deep playoff run. That was essentially the Griffs that made the playoffs last year, this year should see improvement with a less depleted roster. There is still a chance to upgrade via trade as well. This is essentially the same team that took the eventual Cup champs to 7 games 2 years ago but with some upgrades IMO. And, where there's Dats & Z, there's hope:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad