Proposal: Your draft picks to Vancouver

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The cap has been set at $79.5 million per season. I'm restarting this idea with a final number we can quantify. The Canucks have $52,811,179 tied up in contracts, retention and the like, leaving $26,688,821 free. After the season starts with also have another $2.65 million on the IR in Dorsett as well.

Outside of a few select players, possibly Tavares, possibly Carlsson, we don't have a lot of players that fit what we could make use of. We have 5 RFAs, Baertschi, Granlund, Virtanen, Stetcher and Pouliot (most of whom I'd be willing to move the other way if needed) we would be interested in resigning, and any other free agents are either entirely expendable, or are going to be AHL fodder.

I would rather take on bad contracts, even horrible contracts, from teams looking to free up cap space who either have players they want to resign and can't due to cap restrictions, cap floor teams looking to move salary and/or cap, or those that have identified one of the upcoming free agents as a better fit then a high cost player on their roster.

We have players, outside of Horvat and Boeser, from the roster to even things out, or even to be bought outright for picks. Prospects like Demko, Pettersson, Gaudette and Juolevi (for example) not withstanding.

We are looking for picks (hence the title) in this draft or next (in Vancouver), prospects, or even another roster player to eat that salary, and quality over quantity is preferred. The player attached to the contract is inconsequential to me, and if this scenario is a realistic for the Canucks to follow, I'd hope our management too.

Finally, Canucks fans, I'm curious what other fan bases are willing to surrender. I don't want a pissing match. I don't want us using all caps trying to convince Edmonton fans that Lucic and their 10th overall for futures is the only trade we are interested in. Play nice everyone.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Perfect trade for
Both sides
I think that deal is an easy win for TO. I understand the Tanev injury concerns, but in a free market price is driven by supply and demand. Supply of #2/#3 RHD available for multiple years at less than 4.5 per year? As far as I can tell 1 - Tanev. Demand for a #2/#3 RHD signed to multiple years at less than 4.5 - 20ish

In free agency there are maybe 2 Dmen better or equal to Tanev Carlson and Green. Both will cost significantly more than CT and will want term. I know they don’t cost assets, but the cap space they will eat up is definitely an asset in a cap world.

Finally if the Canucks move Tanev it’s to gain future assets for when the team is back in contention, so no player 25 or older is of any use to the Nucks. Low first round draft picks seem great, but look at the success rate of players drafted after #10 in the first round, it is a total crap shoot. From 2005-2015 players drafted in the first round between 20-30 have a 50% chance of a good NHL career. By round 2 that drops to 25-30%. I know this board values picks and prospects above all else but I don’t think the canucks should move one of their better assets for a coin flip.

I don’t think he’s worth a Nylander type player either but a 1st and a good prospect with a couple years of successful pro hockey is the least I would accept for Tanev right now.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Canucks need a team desperately in need of middle 6 depth. Or I’d even look at a slightly overpaid but still productive forward in exchange for 2 lesser paid guys like Granlund Baertchi.
A guy like Jason Spezza makes sense to me if Dallas is happy with their Centre depth without him and need some wing depth? Could probably get both Granny and Bae signed for 5m or less combined.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
4.6 million, but only 1 year though.
Got defenceman prospect? Someone with at least 1 full season of waiver exemption would be much better I’d think. Canucks have like 3 defenceman prospects and 1 just had back surgery and he’s suppose to be one of the better ones.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Got defenceman prospect? Someone with at least 1 full season of waiver exemption would be much better I’d think. Canucks have like 3 defenceman prospects and 1 just had back surgery and he’s suppose to be one of the better ones.

Sure. Gus Olofsson might be your guy, though I don’t know his waiver situation.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
It’s pretty important. Canucks are kinda stuck with MDZ until at the very least the trade deadline as no one is gonna pay the 4m he’s owed let alone any real value until they know they’re making the playoffs. So that leaves the Canucks with like 7 NHL defenceman contracts above the salary threshold for buried salary. That limits incoming contracts imho as the Canucks really need to see OJ develop in the nhl at this point

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Matt Martin 2nd and a 5th for troy stetcher.

Sure, if we didn't just agree to accept a second from LiferLeafer. Next years?

Ennis + our middle 3rd for a 6th or 7th.

Ennis + Olofsson? Or is a pick still in play?

Lucic + 40 for Baertschi

I'm not huge on Lucic. I'd do 40 for Baertschi if it was offered, but Lucic's contract would need something else coming our way. My OP forbids me from asking for something specific I really want, but who do you have in the way of some D prospects? Roster players?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
@Cogburn
We have a good amount of d prospects. Our best one, Bear is not getting moved. Projects to be a Faulk type guy. Caleb Jones (Seths younger brother) could be moved. Dmitri samurukov is another, also since I know you love your Swedes we have Laggeson and Berglund 2 guys in the SHL. No one else really worth noting except Niemalainen.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Guys lets stop with the Lucic fantasy. He isnt getting moved without adding the 10th OA or Puljujarvi.

What is NYIs needs?

Would they be interested in

Tanev , 37OA

For 12th OA

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Guys
What is NYIs needs?

Would they be interested in

Tanev , 37OA

For 12th OA
NYI need a durable , top 4 LHD.

Not moving a top 12 pick for 60 games of Tanev.
Canuck and Isles fans have had this pissing contest over Tanev at least a half dozen times. Let's not have another.
Shop him elsewhere.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
@Cogburn
We have a good amount of d prospects. Our best one, Bear is not getting moved. Projects to be a Faulk type guy. Caleb Jones (Seths younger brother) could be moved. Dmitri samurukov is another, also since I know you love your Swedes we have Laggeson and Berglund 2 guys in the SHL. No one else really worth noting except Niemalainen.

That is a big contract though. Would adding Jones or Samurukov or any of the others, or rather an equivalent from the Canucks, make Edmonton want to take on Eriksson?

I like the Baertschi for a 2nd part of the deal, but I'd be pushing to see what kind of package Edmonton would come up with (for a low return) for Lucic. Are there roster players you'd be looking to surrender (guys of value that are making a set amount...think Chicago's sell off after their first cup win)?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
NYI need a durable , top 4 LHD.

Not moving a top 12 pick for 60 games of Tanev.
Canuck and Isles fans have had this pissing contest over Tanev at least a half dozen times. Let's not have another.
Shop him elsewhere.

I'm still a fan of Hutton going to New York.

Not for a first obviously, but potential top four LHD not getting a shot here in Vancouver (due to coaching choices concerning his old buddy Pouliot).

Del Zotto is more of a top six guy. All yours though.

Edler has an NMC. Durable is relative, he puts up with a lot...but does end up missing some games.

Please take Pouliot away from Green. Please please please please. He's not a bad player, he just soaks up protected minutes like....a sponge? Like a piece of bread in soup? Like a cat in the sun on a warm day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad