(Your)Dorion's Priority List

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What are the most important priorities you feel Dorion MUST address this summer.

You can create categories like "MUST" and "Important to address". Must: means something you feel he has to do. Important to address: is something he needs to look into but isn't imperative to get done and you wouldnt be too upset. You can also create clauses to your list i.e. He MUST trade Burrows(but if he cant he has to at least trade him for same caphit but different player).

My list:

MUST:

1) Re-sign EK (If he can't he must acquire at least one bonafide star piece coming back i.e. Drai or 3/4 pieces minimum from Vegas like Suzuki, Brannstrom, Tuch)
2) Re-sign Stone
3) Sign a top 4 defender (if Karlsson does or does not get traded, this is still an absolute necessity unless we get Dahlin)
4) Trade/Move Ryan (though i understand Seattle arguments, I still want him gone next year no matter what
5) Let Ceci go to arbitration

Important:

1) Trade Burrows
2) Look into trading Hoffman

Reactions: Heady Topper

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Haven't followed tge UFA market. Which UFA top 4 defenseman is available this year? Will be hard to convince them to come here though. Might have to trade for one.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Re-sign Karlsson obviously. If we win Dahlin I'd look to trade Ceci for a young RFA forward like Domi or Athanasiou (preferably Domi).

Fire Boucher and please hire the right guy to develop youth.

Gotta extend Stone and Duchene to around 7.5AAV.

Trade Hoffman to STL for Fabbri/Kyrou and a pick.

Keep Bobby for another year, buyout Gaborik, offer Burrows a job to entice him to retire.

Trade Smith and Condon's contracts using guys like Claesson and Paul.

Let Hogberg or Taylor be the backup while Gustavsson starts in Belleville.

Roster could look like this.
FORWARDS
Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Domi-Fabbri-Stone
Chlapik-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-Pyatt-McCormick

With Brown, Formenton, Batherson in the near future, plus whoever we take with Pitts 1st.
DEFENCE
Boro (crazy I know)-Karlsson
Chabot-Dahlin
Wolanin-Jaros
Harpur
GOALIES
Anderson
Hogberg

Gustavsson coming.

It's amazing how much landing Dahlin would do for this franchise.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As of now, we have two big holes, which are #2 C and a top 4 D. That's not counting our goaltending situation, which we can't do much about but pray for a bounceback.

Hoff - Duchene - Dzingel
Ryan - ??? - Stone
Smith - Pageau - White
McCormick - Paul - Pyatt
(Paajarvi), Burrows, Gaborik

depth in AHL: Chlapik, Brown, Batherson, Gagne

??? - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Boro - (Wideman)
Harpur, Claesson

depth in AH: Wolanin, Jaros

Anderson
Condon

depth in AHL: Gustavsson, Hogberg

I'm going to assume conservatively that whoever we draft is not going to be ready to contribute right away.

We basically have a 1-yr window of contention left with Karlsson and Duchene. Even if we can't re-sign them, I'd give this team one more shot, and so I would definitely try to address the above holes. If we're not in contention at the trade deadline, that's when it's time for a massive firesale: Hoff, Smith, Pageau, Ceci, Boro, and whoever is a free agent by the end of the year (potentially Karlsson and/or Duchene) should be traded.

My feeling is that with a healthy Karlsson, a proper #2C (i.e. someone better that Brassard), a proper #2 D (i.e. someone like Methot, definitely someone much better than Oduya), we're back in playoff contention.

If we manage to keep Duchene, Karlsson and Stone for the long haul, and if we don't make any more dumb trades, I'm more optimistic for 2019 and beyond.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Top priorities:

1- Karlsson extension
2-Re-Sign Stone and extend Duchene
3-Trade for or sign UFA top-4 dman
4-Buyouts for Gaborik and Burrows

Secondary priorities:

1- Fire Boucher
2- Sign #2 C UFA and/or trade for one(RNH?)
3- Sign top-6 winger

Obviously having a good draft is essential but that's happening one way or another.

Our lines should look something like this:

Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan/UFA/Trade
Dzingel-UFA/Trade-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Pyatt(ideally Smith is traded as part of a package for upgrade at other spots)
Kid 1-Kid 2-Kid 3 (Insert Brown, White, Chlapik, Paul, Formenton, McCormick, Gagné, Batherson)

EK-Chabot
Dahlin(and/or UFA or trade)-Ceci
Boro-Wideman/Wolanin
(Claesson, Harpur possible trade bait)

Condon-Andy

This to me is realistic and should be what our team looks like going into next year. Of course if we end up drafting a forward he could slot in at some point as well. We could be quite competitive with this roster. Unfortunately it's not looking like our management thinks the same and will likely cheap out on a lot of those positions.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Re-sign Big-3.

Get rid of money tied to Ryan, Gaborik, Burrows, Smyth, and/or Condon. As much of it as possible. This is a season long process (not just off season) as the Big-3 cap hits are not in effect until 2019-2020.

Extend Dzingel.

Don't f*** up the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
On the roster:

1) Sign Karlsson/Trade him for a great package
- Draisaitl or Vegas prospects & picks
2) Sign Duchene
3) Sign Stone
4) Unload one or all of Ryan/Gaborik/Burrows
5) Draft the right guy
6) trade for/Sign top 4 D and/or top 6 forward depending on pick - be willing to move Pitts 1st
- UFA De Haan, Carlson, Neal, Trade: Domi, Kreider, Simmonds, Klefbom
7) Take Ceci to arbitration

Off the roster:

1) fire Boucher
2) hire more pro scouts
3) take a public speaking course

Keep:

Duchene Stone Hoffman Pageau Dzingel (Brown, White..ect)
Karlsson (if possible) Chabot Boro

A lot banks on Karlsson future and who we draft.

Reactions: coladin and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
1. On April 27th, go to St, Anthony's Church on Booth. Talk to Padre Gino, great guy. Repent. Pray.

2. On April 28th, hope for the best in the draft. Hmm. Don't be mad at God. Look at this as another crossroad and have faith . He is testing you.

3. Draft Tkachuk and a Russian, Alex Khonvanov, just to mess with people's minds.

4. Happy Canada Day! Sign the Big 3.

5. Drink a bottle of fine scotch, I am currently liking Glen Deveron 2oyr Single Malt. It is ok to cry.

6. Take a short holiday.

7. Purchase a bomb suit such as worn in the Hurt Locker movie. It is a local company. Allen Vanguard Company.

5. Then go see Melnyk and give him the buyout numbers.

6. Crouch and breathe deeply to lower impact. With continuous treatment, you will be able to sit again eventually.

7. Buy out Gaborik, Burrows.

8. Pencil in Pageau as your 2nd line center. I know, blurp.

9. Go to a synagogue this time. Pray some more with Rabbi Reuven Bulka

10. Dreams are answered this time, Logan Brown is a Calder candidate.

11. Craig Anderson is back in form, Duchene, Karlsson and Stone are in a dogfight for scoring lead on the team. All three are Top 25 in the NHL.

12. Pierre From Orleans on the line at TSN1050, ready to gloat.

13. You hang up. You call TSN1200 instead and Terry Marcotte is guesting.

14. You hang up again.

Voila!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Must

-Sign Karlsson, Duchene & Stone to long term deals
-Fire Boucher
-Ride Burrows and Gaborik out for this season and buyout Gaborik next summer when it makes more financial sense
-Sign Ceci if there's money left, but only short term, otherwise trade him or wait for arbitration
-Fill out roster with cheap elc's and cheap short term ufa's
-Trade Smith
-Keep Hoffman
-Have a solid draft haul

Important

-Buy out or trade (probably not possible) Condon and try someone else even if we don't save money in the end
-Sign Wideman if reasonable demands

Wishful Thinking

-Trade any of Ryan, Gaborik and Anderson
-Solid UFA signing of Top 4 D or Top 6 forward

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Must Do::
1) Re-sign Karlsson
2) Re-sign Stone
3) Re-sign Duchene
4) Hire an experienced coaching staff with a record of success

Nice To Do :
1) Obtain a top 4 defender (difficult and expensive)

2) Obtain a Second Line Center (difficult and expensive)
3) Trade/Move/Buyout Gaborik
4) Trade/Move/Buyout Burrows
5) sign some veterans who are good in the room (just kidding)

Reactions: DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO we just can't afford to go into next season without a top 4 defender added to this team. whether we keep ek or not.

We cannot afford to have a carousel around EK for yet another season. And we absolutely cannot afford to not obtain an additional top 4 d if we do trade EK(even if he nets one back himself)

We cannot finish low in the standings next year. We don't even have our number 1 pick. We have to do well regardless of the situation.

The only answer is Dahlin, if we want to be lucky, but otherwise we gotta maybe look at dishing off Hoffman or a top prospect.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion needs a vocabulary coach. Nothing says he doesn’t have control of the situation more then using 5 different verb tenses in 1 sentence.

That may sound mean, but presentation is important. Erik Karlsson speaks better English then Dorion, and Dorion’s French isn’t great either.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Dorion needs a vocabulary coach. Nothing says he doesn’t have control of the situation more then using 5 different verb tenses in 1 sentence.

That may sound mean, but presentation is important. Erik Karlsson speaks better English then Dorion, and Dorion’s French isn’t great either.
To be fair, it’s Dorion’s second language, just as it is EK’s.

No his French isn’t great. I feel it’s worse than his English. Boucher’s French is pretty good, and it should be. I feel the problem with Dorion is that his conversations don’t flow smoothly. He always seems to be looking for words. So his message often ends up not being delivered with the right level of credibility attached to it.

Reactions: Tuna99

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
What are the most important priorities you feel Dorion MUST address this summer.

You can create categories like "MUST" and "Important to address". Must: means something you feel he has to do. Important to address: is something he needs to look into but isn't imperative to get done and you wouldnt be too upset. You can also create clauses to your list i.e. He MUST trade Burrows(but if he cant he has to at least trade him for same caphit but different player).

My list:

MUST:

1) Re-sign EK (If he can't he must acquire at least one bonafide star piece coming back i.e. Drai or 3/4 pieces minimum from Vegas like Suzuki, Brannstrom, Tuch)
2) Re-sign Stone
3) Sign a top 4 defender (if Karlsson does or does not get traded, this is still an absolute necessity unless we get Dahlin)
4) Trade/Move Ryan (though i understand Seattle arguments, I still want him gone next year no matter what
5) Let Ceci go to arbitration

Important:

1) Trade Burrows
2) Look into trading Hoffman

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Must:

1- trade Hoffman at draft for a 1st and whatever else he can get
2- trade EK asap (probably early July) in order to reset the rebuild.....those thinking he will be re-signed are delusional imo
3- sign Duchene to long term contract (6 years)
4- sign Stone to similar contract
5- buy out Gaborik and Burrows
6- attempt to trade Ryan with some salary retention but if more
than a 3rd round pick or equivalent prospect is required, keep Ryan as he can be useful on 2nd line and a better deal might present itself by waiting

-not yet sure what to do with Ceci, probably one year deal but I would be listening to offers

- unsure on coaching...at this time not as high as priority as moves above

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
-Re-sign EK or Trade him for an undeniable positive haul
-Rectify goaltending ( Trade Condon for anything OR buyout Andy, id like to give them another chance but im not willing to throw away an entire year with no fallback plan on yet another gamble)

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
-Re-sign EK or Trade him for an undeniable positive haul
-Rectify goaltending ( Trade Condon for anything OR buyout Andy, id like to give them another chance but im not willing to throw away an entire year with no fallback plan on yet another gamble)
Dorion has stated that there will be no change in goaltending.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't make any trades that's my must. Dorions been taken to the cleaners over and over again. Just stop, stay the course re-sign the key free agents draft well.

1. Re-sign/extend Karlsson, Duchene and Stone.
2. Hire a real president. Who then hires a new marketing team and does an overhaul review of in game entertainment and advertising.
3. Fire the coaching staff. Hire a progressive coach that works well with younger players. My choices in order. A. Joel Bouchard
B. Sheldon Keefe
C. Dominik Ducharme
4. Hire more scouts (specifically pro scouts), player development skill development and a live replay team to review in game plays.
5. Let Ceci go to arbitration no way he wins.
6. Buy out Gaborik.

I know from a financial perspective this is not realistic but it's what they should do if the organization was run properly and is truly honest with itself.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Dorion has stated that there will be no change in goaltending.

What he says and does are separate things, this is what i think he should do, I can understand it if it is because of our owner imposed budget, frankly there's not much he can really do because he gave Andy an early extension, both guys played league worst last season and are virtually unmoveable, if this is an unforced choice well it will be yet another thing him and I disagree on completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad