Your Countries ALL-TIME Olympic Team...1980 and above

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what I really wanted to see is holding true... so very few players from 2000 and above on most peoples rosters.

it seems that players from the 80's and early 90's are getting put over players from the past 12 years because scoring was higher and their numbers were better??

I think it is hard to justify leaving a player with 100 plus point seasons off of your squad in favor of a player who barely hits 70-80 points in the 2000's..am I wrong on this or were players from the 80's and 90's that much better????

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
what I really wanted to see is holding true... so very few players from 2000 and above on most peoples rosters.

it seems that players from the 80's and early 90's are getting put over players from the past 12 years because scoring was higher and their numbers were better??

I think it is hard to justify leaving a player with 100 plus point seasons off of your squad in favor of a player who barely hits 70-80 points in the 2000's..am I wrong on this or were players from the 80's and 90's that much better????

Relatively to the scoring done, a lot of 80-ties early 90-ties midtier guys get overrated.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009

Well, since you asked for an olympic roster, perhaps some people are, you know, picking their players based on how they have made in major tournaments?

And in that sense, the guys from earlier decades have the advantage, because most of them have played in four to five olympics or world cups, whereas the guys from the current millennium have maybe one or two on their name.

And even if they have no notable major tournament experience, a guy who has 20 seasons on his belt is a legend - something someone with five or so is not.

To put it extremely simply - they're not comparable. It will take another decade or so to compare the current breed to the old one, and for as long as that can't be done, the old ones are considered better. Because, you know, they actually have something to show for it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well, since you asked for an olympic roster, perhaps some people are, you know, picking their players based on how they have made in major tournaments?

And in that sense, the guys from earlier decades have the advantage, because most of them have played in four to five olympics or world cups, whereas the guys from the current millennium have maybe one or two on their name.

And even if they have no notable major tournament experience, a guy who has 20 seasons on his belt is a legend - something someone with five or so is not.

To put it extremely simply - they're not comparable. It will take another decade or so to compare the current breed to the old one, and for as long as that can't be done, the old ones are considered better. Because, you know, they actually have something to show for it.

that's not true at all. Pro players didn't even start playing until 1998, some players on their lists never played in an Olympics.

There are few players who started their career from 2000 and above on most peoples North American lists...I am not positive it has much to do with what you stated as some of todays players have represented their country more than some of those guys in the 80's who likely were only on the 98 team...

Canada Cup/World Cup teams could play into it, but it really looks like there were very few players in 13 years (2000-2013) that are making team Canada..and even team USA...again were the players better in the 80's or 90's, or is it going by stats??

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know when people see ALL-TIME, they start thinking back to many years ago, even though it also can include current as well..

I guess I am in shock a bit as to just how few stars there has been that has come into the league in the past 12-14 years...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
that's not true at all. Pro players didn't even start playing until 1998, some players on their lists never played in an Olympics.
Note that I also said that it could simply be the length of their careers. A guy who has played 20 seasons on a high level is a certified legend. Someone who has only played five or so is not - at least yet.

But some of them might start showing up in these legacy squads in a decade or so. By then it has become far easier to compare their mettle with the past legends.

Burner99

Sep 9, 2011
Austria

Brandner Christoph - Kalt jun. Dieter - Vanek Thomas
Puschnik Gerhard - Koch Thomas - Grabner Michael
Ressmann Gerald - Muehr Manfred - Nödl Andreas
Setzinger Oliver - Kaspitz Roland - Cijan Thomas

Herbert Hohenberger - Martin Ulrich
Unterluggauer Gerhard - Pöck Thomas
Robert Lukas - Trattnig Matthias

Divis Reinhard
Dalpiaz Claus
Stankiewicz Brian

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
USSR/Russia

Krutov - Larionov - Makarov
Mogilny - Fedorov - Bure
Kamenskiy - Bykov - Khomutov
Kovalchuk - Datsuk - Malkin
Yashin

Fetisov - Kasatonov
Zubov - Konstantinov
Markov - Malakhov
Kasparaytis

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Varlamov

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Germany, missing out great talents like Erich Kühnkackl, Trunschtka, Kießling etc.

Not really sure about the forwards, something including Sturm, Goc, Hecht, Felski, and Wolf. ;)

Krupp - Ehrhoff
Seidenberg - Hiemer
Schubert - Lüdemann

Kolzig
"Peppi" Heiß

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
USSR/Russia

Mogilny - Fedorov - Bure
Yashin

Fetisov - Kasatonov
Zubov - Konstantinov
Markov - Malakhov
Kasparaytis

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Varlamov

This would be unreal, except for goaltending!

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
For the sake of keeping things somewhat recent and modern, if you make a team consisting of your all-time greatest players (obviously can include current players), you cannot include any player who played prior to 1979 in the NHL and Europe...I will allow any player who started off in the WHA....wink wink Gretzky..

So basically if they played professional hockey NHL/European pro league prior to the 1979-1980 season please do not use them no matter how great they were..I want to keep this pretty much from 1980 to current as most members can comment from that timeline.

I will put together an all-time 1980 and beyond USA Olympic hockey team!

23 man rosters total!!

Define professional hockey. At that time Swedish hockey players had regular jobs.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This lineup is made in that mind that everyone of them are in prime, not thinking about do they have constantity. Active players are bolded. Italic player is active but not in NHL.

Really had to put Skriko there on 2nd line. Just because he doesn't get mentioned too often, even thought he was solid scoring forward in NHL and a goal scorer (183 goals, 405 points and 540 GP). He played starting in Finland at season 1980-81, was drafted in 1981 and went into NA 1984. He also were impact player not just in NHL, but in National team too. Like in 1984 olympics, Canada cup 1991 or 1992 olympics and many World Championships, with WJC silver and WJC bronze from '81 and '82. One of the builders of Finnish constant national team succes that has going on since then. He definedly deserves to be mentioned in some of these topics.

Team Finland

Kurri - S. Koivu - Selänne
Tikkanen - Helminen - Skriko
Lehtinen - O. Jokinen - T. Ruutu
Filppula - M. Koivu - S. Kapanen

Numminen - Timonen
Salo - Ruotsalainen
Pitkänen - Lumme
Lydman

Kiprusoff
Rinne
Rask/Niemi/Lehtonen

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This lineup is made in that mind that everyone of them are in prime, not thinking about do they have constantity. Active players are bolded. Italic player is active but not in NHL.
Good call on Skriko, but I'd say that leaving Peltonen out still robs you of all credibility. Whatever the legacy squad, whatever the criteria, that man belongs in one.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
USSR/Russia

Mogilny - Fedorov - Bure
Yashin

Fetisov - Kasatonov
Zubov - Konstantinov
Markov - Malakhov
Kasparaytis

Khabibulin
Nabokov
Varlamov

As much as I can't stomach Ovechkin, i would think he'd have to be on the roster, even if it is over Yashin.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Team Finland

Numminen - Timonen
Salo - Ruotsalainen
Pitkänen - Lumme
Lydman

Kiprusoff
Rinne
Rask/Niemi/Lehtonen

Kurri and Ruotsalainen were pro's in Finland before 79-80 season so they don't count... i think they could be replaced with Christian Ruuttu & Janne Niinimaa.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Really had to put Skriko there on 2nd line. Just because he doesn't get mentioned too often, even thought he was solid scoring forward in NHL and a goal scorer (183 goals, 405 points and 540 GP). He played starting in Finland at season 1980-81, was drafted in 1981 and went into NA 1984. He also were impact player not just in NHL, but in National team too. Like in 1984 olympics, Canada cup 1991 or 1992 olympics and many World Championships, with WJC silver and WJC bronze from '81 and '82. One of the builders of Finnish constant national team succes that has going on since then. He definedly deserves to be mentioned in some of these topics.

Team Finland

Numminen - Timonen
Salo - Ruotsalainen
Pitkänen - Lumme
Lydman

Kiprusoff
Rinne
Rask/Niemi/Lehtonen

Kurri, Selänne and Tikkanen

Probably my favorit finnish players all time, true legends. :yo:

I also respect Finland for their world class goalies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's my U.S. team:

Goaltenders (x3):

Mike Richter
Ryan Miller
Tim Thomas

Defensemen (x8):

Brian Leetch-Chris Chelios
Gary Suter-Ryan Suter
Brian Rafalski-Derian Hatcher
Phil Housley-Mark Howe

Forwards (x12):

Keith Tkachuk-Mike Modano-Brett Hull
Patrick Kane-Pat Lafontaine-John LeClair
Bill Guerin-Doug Weight-Tony Amonte
Adam Deadmarsh-Ryan Kesler-Jeremy Roenick

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
ds246pit
As much as I can't stomach Ovechkin, i would think he'd have to be on the roster, even if it is over Yashin.
I couldn't find a place for him:)
Look: KLM - it's classic. Kamenskiy-Bykov-Khomutov - proved line, which strength is synergy and coherence. They cannot be splitted.
Kovy-Dats-Malkin - Bykov's invention, which proved its highly effeciency. And,btw, I don't think Ovi > Kovy, tbh. Kovy now is really two-dimension F, Ovy is not.
So, there is the only guy to be replaced - Mogilny. Against him is that his natural position is right, and the fact, that Fedorov played with Ovy more, than with him. But as soon, as Tikhonov tryed line MFB in juniors and probably considered them as a replacement for KLM made my decision.
As for 13th player I didn't ever consider Ovy. 10th player should be center, that's it.
Probably, if I knew the Olimpics would take place at small rinks, I'd take line Ovechkin - Zhamnov - Kovalev instead of KBKh, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Good call on Skriko, but I'd say that leaving Peltonen out still robs you of all credibility. Whatever the legacy squad, whatever the criteria, that man belongs in one.

Mybe that's true on Peltonen, but I preferred Kapanen over him because at he's best, he was a good producing forward and for years NHL's fastest skater (youtube), or at least in top 3 fastest with Bure ect (won the competition couple of times thought). Having that kind of "World's best" level quality is pretty rare in Finnish team.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Mybe that's true on Peltonen, but I preferred Kapanen over him because at he's best, he was a good producing forward and for years NHL's fastest skater (youtube), or at least in top 3 fastest with Bure ect (won the competition couple of times thought). Having that kind of "World's best" level quality is pretty rare in Finnish team.
I'd say that when building an "olympic" team, you have to take their NT achievements to account if you can. And with those, Peltonen sweeps the floor with Kapanen. While many think the man earned a seasonal ticket to the Lions after the -95 hat trick, he has shown his value far more times after. He is, simply put, the best clutch scorer we've ever had. While many a championship was ultimately lost even with Ville on the squad, not too many Team Finlands would have gotten even as far as they got without the man coming up with a big one exactly when the occasion called for it.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
For Sweden:
Henrik Lundqvist
Pekka Lindmark
Pelle Lindbergh

Nicklas Lidström - Kenny Jönsson
Erik Karlsson - Anders Eldebrink
Ulf Samuelsson - Mattias Öhlund
Kronwall

Markus Näslund - Peter Forsberg - Daniel Alfredsson
Henrik Zetterberg - Mats Sundin - HÃ¥kan Loob
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Loui Eriksson
Anders "Masken" Carlsson* - Nicklas Bäckström - Mikael Renberg
Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafson
*) Centre but it is ok w. him.

I could live with that, with my bolded changes.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Germany, missing out great talents like Erich Kühnkackl, Trunschtka, Kießling etc.

Not really sure about the forwards, something including Sturm, Goc, Hecht, Felski, and Wolf. ;)

Krupp - Ehrhoff
Seidenberg - Hiemer
Schubert - Lüdemann

Kolzig
"Peppi" Heiß

The cut off is really bad for Germany Kühnhackl, Kießling, Truntschka, Hegen, Kreis, or Steiger. I think Karl Friesen would be eligible so I would consider him as well as Helmut de Raaf as goalies instead of Heiß, but that is really close

With all that said I will give it a try including the forwards.

Marco Sturm - Marcel Goc - Manfred Wolf
Jochen Hecht - Peter Draisaitl - Michael Rumrich
Stefan Ustorf - Jan Benda - Raimond Hilger
Georg Holzmann - Thomas Brandl - Sven Felski

Uwe Krupp - Christian Ehrhoff
Dennis Seidenberg - Ulrich Hiemer
Christoph Schubert - Mirko Lüdemann
Andreas Niederberger - Rick Amann

Olaf Kölzig
Karl Friesen
Helmut de Raaf

I am sure, that I have overlooked or over- / undervalued some players, but it's the best I could come up with.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'd say that when building an "olympic" team, you have to take their NT achievements to account if you can. And with those, Peltonen sweeps the floor with Kapanen. While many think the man earned a seasonal ticket to the Lions after the -95 hat trick, he has shown his value far more times after. He is, simply put, the best clutch scorer we've ever had. While many a championship was ultimately lost even with Ville on the squad, not too many Team Finlands would have gotten even as far as they got without the man coming up with a big one exactly when the occasion called for it.

Agreed. Kapanen may have been a world-class skater, but Ville Peltonen is Ville Peltonen and his achievements in the NT are something you can't ignore if you're building an all-time best Finnish Olympic team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad