your choice for new assistant coach ?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Some of the best coaches in all of sports were some of the worst players though. All it takes is a sharp mind to understand why certain things work or identify gaps in the opposition.
That only works with an established team with talent, like how Disco won the Cup with Malkin and Sid or Trotz in DC. Meanwhile, the players on this team struggle with basic hockey skills like shooting and passing. We know Seider needs some work with his slapper, the team needs someone that can demonstrate and teach. Zadina and Raz need some work as well.

One of the (obvious) things I've noticed about this team is they don't have good puck skills. Watch any other team and players will kick the puck to their stick if a pass winds up at their feet instead of the stick. With this team, the play dies right there. You can't fix stuff like that without some skill. If I was coaching, I think I'd make the whole team play in practice without sticks.

I kind of hope Houda is gone as well. The PK wasn't as bad as our PP but it still was far from good.

I'd like to get a defense/PK coach that is a little less "when in doubt chip it off the glass!" than Houda is. We have some prospects coming up with good wheels and good offensive instincts. I'd love the kind of coach that could come in and help improve that aspect of their games to activate the attack better for us. Someone that's better at structuring breakouts, as well.

PK was actually near the top of the league latter in the season starting around late March.
2020-21 Detroit Red Wings Team Gamelog | Hockey-Reference.com
Houda changed the PK strategy, there was way too much puck chasing the first half of the season leading to a lot of back door goals. The thing that bothers me is there's too much puck chasing ES, there needs to be more structure to the defense, but PK isn't really an issue any more.

Agree that the transition game still needs work. It was improving mid-season until everyone got injured. The problem is that there's nobody to pass to when the team plays in a shell. I think it's a strategy issue, and Blash is probably more to blame than Houda.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That only works with an established team with talent, like how Disco won the Cup with Malkin and Sid or Trotz in DC. Meanwhile, the players on this team struggle with basic hockey skills like shooting and passing. We know Seider needs some work with his slapper, the team needs someone that can demonstrate and teach. Zadina and Raz need some work as well.

One of the (obvious) things I've noticed about this team is they don't have good puck skills. Watch any other team and players will kick the puck to their stick if a pass winds up at their feet instead of the stick. With this team, the play dies right there. You can't fix stuff like that without some skill. If I was coaching, I think I'd make the whole team play in practice without sticks.

PK was actually near the top of the league latter in the season starting around late March.
2020-21 Detroit Red Wings Team Gamelog | Hockey-Reference.com
Houda changed the PK strategy, there was way too much puck chasing the first half of the season leading to a lot of back door goals. The thing that bothers me is there's too much puck chasing ES, there needs to be more structure to the defense, but PK isn't really an issue any more.

Agree that the transition game still needs work. It was improving mid-season until everyone got injured. The problem is that there's nobody to pass to when the team plays in a shell. I think it's a strategy issue, and Blash is probably more to blame than Houda.

I'll agree that our PK looked good at the end of the season. Our goaltending also played a part in that as well with Greiss turning his year around.

Early in the year we looked good at passing the puck from D to D in our zone to weather the opponent's forecheck but as the season went on they did this less and less, and losing Merrill definitely hurt that part of our game. That's the type of D-zone play we need an assistant coach to reinforce. If we can get back to that then the team hopefully doesn't turtle as much next season. Adding Seider + another PMD are huge steps in the right direction.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
It's gonna be Dan Cleary just to piss everyone off, lol.
That would definitely do the trick. Thankfully, Yzerman doesn't "owe" him anything and Holland is still (for the moment) gainfully employed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That would definitely do the trick. Thankfully, Yzerman doesn't "owe" him anything and Holland is still (for the moment) gainfully employed.

Struggling player career, thanks to knee injuries, usually is a non-factor for coaching abilities. Wayne Gretzky was a horrible coach, should I discredit him as player because of that, or bash Rangers GM that he signed him as too old? :shakehead

These personal agendas against Cleary are ridiculous in here. He is helping our kids to develop and you guys dare to post this shit in here.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
My number one guy would be Kirk Muller. Captain Kirk is a very good coach who got caught up in the Montreal BS during the coaching change there. He has been mentioned on several up and coming HC candidate listings. I would entice him in here and quite possibly he could become our next head coach.

David Quinn, if he doesn't land a top college or NHL HC gig. This guy could see an opportunity here to go from assistant to HC.

Ben Groulx, from the Syracuse Crunch (AAA TB) is another "winner" that I wouldn't mind behind the bench. Seen as a high end hockey mind.

Team Canada guys in Andre Tourigny and Louis Robitaille- I am sure Steve is familiar with from his involvement with Team Canada in the past. Both seem to be headed up on the coaching lists.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to see Rikard Grönborg + Jukka Jalonen as assistants.

European way to play. Best things from Swedish systems (offence, puck control in defence) and best things from Finnish systems (defensive teamwork, multi-level forecheking). Blashill as an American will look for the big picture + NHL adjustments.

Can't find any more perfect system than that.

Reactions: SantosHalper

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
My number one guy would be Kirk Muller. Captain Kirk is a very good coach who got caught up in the Montreal BS during the coaching change there. He has been mentioned on several up and coming HC candidate listings. I would entice him in here and quite possibly he could become our next head coach.

David Quinn, if he doesn't land a top college or NHL HC gig. This guy could see an opportunity here to go from assistant to HC.

Ben Groulx, from the Syracuse Crunch (AAA TB) is another "winner" that I wouldn't mind behind the bench. Seen as a high end hockey mind.

Team Canada guys in Andre Tourigny and Louis Robitaille- I am sure Steve is familiar with from his involvement with Team Canada in the past. Both seem to be headed up on the coaching lists.

And Yzerman is the one that hired him in Syracuse. He just signed an extension though, but have to wonder if Yzerman is keeping an eye on him. I also wonder about Rogle's coach...can't remember his name, but I know he's north american and has really turned things around in that organization. Would be interesting to see what he can do as an AHL coach for a couple years and maybe he could be the young coach of the future for the Wings.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I'd like to see Rikard Grönborg + Jukka Jalonen as assistants.

European way to play. Best things from Swedish systems (offence, puck control in defence) and best things from Finnish systems (defensive teamwork, multi-level forecheking). Blashill as an American will look for the big picture + NHL adjustments.

Can't find any more perfect system than that.

I'm very fine with the Euro guys and quite surprised the Wings haven't gone this route yet with all their connections over there. I also love the way the Finnish teams play and it would be great to snare Jalonen.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Assistant to Blashill? That's a big "I don't give a f***" for me. Bring back Screwi Lewi for all I care.
All of that Stevie Y hope is gone.
Same old, Same old, around these parts.
Complacency. Country Club Loyalty.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The only thing I have to contribute to the thread is this will be the first net new coaching hire that will have to have Yzerman's blessing. I mean I don't expect him to force Blashill's hand, but I'd imagine with his experience with both Tampa and team Canada he's got to have some really good options. I'd be shocked if he brought in a retread like Bylsma. Given that is the case I would expect him to at least offer up some suggestions to Blashill.

I know many of us are not happy with Blashill which is totally understandable. For me what I want to see is who ends up getting hired and how the power play ends up looking. It could give us some insight into Yzerman's approach to coaching. Based on Tampa it is safe to say we are going to be drafting and developing skill at forward in particular and will have an offensive focus generally speaking. We are not going to be playing low event hockey once we have the talent to play a more open system. So the person they hire to run the power play is going to give us good insight into how Yzerman wants to transition us from boring, crappy, lifeless hockey into entertaining, high skill, high scoring hockey.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The only thing I have to contribute to the thread is this will be the first net new coaching hire that will have to have Yzerman's blessing. I mean I don't expect him to force Blashill's hand, but I'd imagine with his experience with both Tampa and team Canada he's got to have some really good options. I'd be shocked if he brought in a retread like Bylsma. Given that is the case I would expect him to at least offer up some suggestions to Blashill.

I know many of us are not happy with Blashill which is totally understandable. For me what I want to see is who ends up getting hired and how the power play ends up looking. It could give us some insight into Yzerman's approach to coaching. Based on Tampa it is safe to say we are going to be drafting and developing skill at forward in particular and will have an offensive focus generally speaking. We are not going to be playing low event hockey once we have the talent to play a more open system. So the person they hire to run the power play is going to give us good insight into how Yzerman wants to transition us from boring, crappy, lifeless hockey into entertaining, high skill, high scoring hockey.

What if...

Lane Lambert comes over from NYI as our new assistant coach? Maybe he comes in, works with our forwards and transforms our offense and gives our guys a boost like he did with Kuznetsov, Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie in Washington?

Then in 2 years time we can FINALLY say sayonara to Blashill who becomes a consultant and we hire Lambert from within?

We have our stability, we also have our head coaching heir, and we finally have a forward strategist who can help the kids take the next step.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lambert is fine, but I don't believe he would leave assistant job to another assistant job.

Think there should be Head Coach spot opening.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What if...

Lane Lambert comes over from NYI as our new assistant coach? Maybe he comes in, works with our forwards and transforms our offense and gives our guys a boost like he did with Kuznetsov, Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie in Washington?

Then in 2 years time we can FINALLY say sayonara to Blashill who becomes a consultant and we hire Lambert from within?

We have our stability, we also have our head coaching heir, and we finally have a forward strategist who can help the kids take the next step.

Lambert is definitely an interesting one. I think I have read somewhere that he and Yzerman are friendly. He is already an assistant and has been interviewed for head coaching jobs so I'd imagine he is looking for a HC gig, not an assistant gig. I also wonder if there is a reason Yzerman is being so coy about Blashill's new deal. I have nothing on this I just wouldn't be surprised if there is something there he doesn't want to divulge right now.

So is Lambert in play? My inclination is to say no, he's likely getting a head coaching gig this offseason. But if he keeps getting interviewed and isn't getting hired then is there a move for him or does he stay in New York? I have no idea.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
maxresdefault.jpg

Since Zetterberg retired, there is nobody to wear a Cleary hockey school baseball cap during pressers.

Reactions: Mlotek

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Struggling player career, thanks to knee injuries, usually is a non-factor for coaching abilities. Wayne Gretzky was a horrible coach, should I discredit him as player because of that, or bash Rangers GM that he signed him as too old? :shakehead

These personal agendas against Cleary are ridiculous in here. He is helping our kids to develop and you guys dare to post this shit in here.
I don't have an agenda other than a sense of humor.

I just see it as the kind of thing Chris would do to save money, have Cleary as player, coach, and director of player development, all under one salary, lol.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Jukka Jalonen - Mastermind from Finnish national team.
Igor Larionov - The professor
Rickard Grönborg - Swedish Top guy

Europe knows it better.

Yzerman will know it.

Yeah, Ralph Krueger was amazing! Buffalo will win at least 5 Cups in the next 8 years with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad