your choice for new assistant coach ?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure if Tampa let’s him go, but I would love Jeff Halpern. He’s TB’s third assistant, so he’s not running any special teams, but he’s been their on ice developmental coach. He’s earned rave reviews for his work, and Yzerman was the one that originally hired him, so there is a connection.

Why would Halpern a career checking forward be a good coach for the offense/PP? I get lower tier players are usually better coaches than the high end players turn out to be, but for offence I think you bring in a coach or former player who was good at the offensive part of the game for that role. Bringing in checkers to coach the PP, is like bringing in Adam Oates to coach the blueline.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why would Halpern a career checking forward be a good coach for the offense/PP? I get lower tier players are usually better coaches than the high end players turn out to be, but for offence I think you bring in a coach or former player who was good at the offensive part of the game for that role. Bringing in checkers to coach the PP, is like bringing in Adam Oates to coach the blueline.
He was actually a 2C playing for the Caps (mostly because they sucked), oddly enough Oates was 1C during that time. 28 career PP goals, which is 22 more than Helm, lol.

Funny you bring Oates up because he was a micromanager as a head coach, even told the goaltenders what to do (and really screwed them up obviously). Anyways, there's a reason why he never got another head coaching gig. He's good as a consultant though, the Wings have hired him in the past.

Personally I prefer someone that can teach these kids some skills, not just tactics.

Reactions: David D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He was actually a 2C playing for the Caps (mostly because they sucked), oddly enough Oates was 1C during that time. 28 career PP goals, which is 22 more than Helm, lol.

Funny you bring Oates up because he was a micromanager as a head coach, even told the goaltenders what to do (and really screwed them up obviously). Anyways, there's a reason why he never got another head coaching gig. He's good as a consultant though, the Wings have hired him in the past.

Personally I prefer someone that can teach these kids some skills, not just tactics.

Yeah, I brought Oates up cause of his previous short gig and he would be more offensive minded which would be terrible for a defensive coach. Yeah, they need to learn when and where to shoot and pass. Of course our PP would greatly benefit from at least one defenceman that can walk the line confidently on the PP. I think Cholo could work there, but who knows.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I brought Oates up cause of his previous short gig and he would be more offensive minded which would be terrible for a defensive coach. Yeah, they need to learn when and where to shoot and pass. Of course our PP would greatly benefit from at least one defenceman that can walk the line confidently on the PP. I think Cholo could work there, but who knows.
I'd like to know what the hell happened to Hronek this season....

You'd think they could put Kronwall on the ice and coach him a bit. Houda never had a scoring touch.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'd like to know what the hell happened to Hronek this season....

You'd think they could put Kronwall on the ice and coach him a bit. Houda never had a scoring touch.

Yeah, hard to know if Houda should be kept or not. We were still pretty bad this year in our own end, although our PK was better. I honestly think with Hronek, it is similar to Larkin, they both know they are the best and few guys who can play a lot and are trying to do too much themselves which messes them up and they play worse. Also, Hronek is playing 2-4 minutes a game more than he should be and I think he is overwhelmed by it. Would be nice to have an actual NHL vet to play with and not a good AHL defenders as his partner. Maybe Martinez would be a good partner if he is willing to sign with us that is.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

Because being good at something isn’t the same as being good at teaching something?

Brett Hull has the third most PPG ever, and I promise you no one would want that guy running our power play.

Meanwhile Jim Hiller is considered one of the best PP coaches in the league and he had 20 points in the NHL.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Struggling player career, thanks to knee injuries, usually is a non-factor for coaching abilities. Wayne Gretzky was a horrible coach, should I discredit him as player because of that, or bash Rangers GM that he signed him as too old? :shakehead

These personal agendas against Cleary are ridiculous in here. He is helping our kids to develop and you guys dare to post this shit in here.

But was Gretzky really that terrible as a coach?

Compare rosters of Phoenix under the Greek One and Detroit under Blash.

Detroit had the better roster.
Blashill peaked at 3 more wins in a season, and averaged far worse.

Oh shit, is Larkin our Shane Doan? :(

Larkin couldn't even out-produce Athanasiou this season :(

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Fun seeing all the Jim Hiller talk. He was one of the players at Northern Michigan University when I was a kid. I used to go to the events where you'd skate around with the team and get autographs. Pretty sure I had a stick of his at one point.

Him and Dallas Drake were legends to all us young kids as they went on to the NHL. Definitely uncommon for that college program, unlike say Michigan State or U of M.

Reactions: SoupNazi and Henkka

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Assistant to Blashill? That's a big "I don't give a f***" for me. Bring back Screwi Lewi for all I care.
All of that Stevie Y hope is gone.
Same old, Same old, around these parts.
Complacency. Country Club Loyalty.
Let's go for the loyalty and bring in Mike Babcock. Would certainly be a newsyworthy event if it happened.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
  • One name that continues to come up in regards to coaching searches is Lane Lambert of the New York Islanders, including for the Arizona Coyotes according to Friedman. Lambert is off-limits for as long as the Islanders continue to battle in the postseason, meaning if a team is really interested in interviewing him they’ll have to put their search on hold.
  • Per Prohockeyrumors website
So, I think Lambert isn't even a choice to be an assistant here but if this is a guy Steve wanted as a head coach the Blashill extension might have just screwed him if he is hired by another team "this" off season. Still think there are going to be some good candidates out there that would have been really nice to have behind our bench for these young up and coming players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad