Your biggest stuff-ups/embarassing moments

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
filling in for the regular goalie in a local mens league game. Having not been on hte ice for 2 years I was a bit reluctant but they managed to twist my arm. My team consisted of guys in a mish mash of old ragedy gear. One guy even had his number spray painted on the jersey. Honestly, they looked like they all just threw the gear in a pile in hte middle of the locker room and just started putting on what ever fit..

The other team skates out and I know I had been had. What was supposed to be a senior mens game had our opponents stacked with half the roster for the Fredonia state U team. I can live with getting lit up for double digit goals but the one that got me.....A 185 foot goal. The only way the guy could have scored from further would have been to shoot from the bleachers.....lol

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
filling in for the regular goalie in a local mens league game. Having not been on hte ice for 2 years I was a bit reluctant but they managed to twist my arm. My team consisted of guys in a mish mash of old ragedy gear. One guy even had his number spray painted on the jersey. Honestly, they looked like they all just threw the gear in a pile in hte middle of the locker room and just started putting on what ever fit..

The other team skates out and I know I had been had. What was supposed to be a senior mens game had our opponents stacked with half the roster for the Fredonia state U team. I can live with getting lit up for double digit goals but the one that got me.....A 185 foot goal. The only way the guy could have scored from further would have been to shoot from the bleachers.....lol

When did this happen? I knew a couple of the FSU guys; the captain a few years back was a little guy, maybe 5'5", but man was he tough. Real gamer.

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
last game of the season last year. as the goalie i was the first one on the ice, to a standing ovation from nearly all of the 250 people there (we were playing our rivals, so it was a big turnout for us) I was feeling great. the crowd was into it, the adrenaline was pumping, and i was just coming off a 32 save shutout. i start skating around, turn the corner to circle the net and the next thing i know i'm on my side, face planted against the boards. it hurt my pride more than anything. but everything was cool when we mercied them with 5 minutes left in the third, and outshot them 57 to 16. so it was only a 16 save shutout, but a shutout nonetheless. made up for the intro :D

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Ok well we were in practise and we were doing laps. ANd I was infront and I just kept skating as fast as I could (to impress the coach, you know how it is) and I just kept picking up speed. And around the blue line going into the zone I lost and edge and fell at a weird angle and I couldn't stop myself and at the last second I got myself up on my knees sliding a billion million facing the boards. And yeah there was a big crash of me going face first, on my knees into the boards and I had to pick myself up as all my team mates skated by.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I played my whole hockey career on the point, and I went through the last three games of competitive hockey and three incidences convinced me that my luck was used up.

In my first game I managed to bounce the puck off of the boards while I was killing a penalty and went around and got in alone on the goalie. I took my time and calmly faked to the backhand and went to the forehand and had the ******* beaten and decided to get cocky and top shelf the puck (Hey my girlfriend, her family and mine were in the stands), did I mention that there was 2 minutes left in the game and the we were down by one. Anyways I turned my wrists to roof it and put the puck over the back glass and off a seat in row 7.

The next game, I had a trash talking battle with a yappy forward from the other team and decided that the next time I got a hit on him, it was going to be spectacular. So I'm on the right side of the ice and this little ***** is coming down on me with this little grin on his face, so I took a step to the inside to give him the outside and he took it, I slid back over and lined him up for the hip check, but he shoved the puck ahead and dipped his hip and I went head first into the players bench ( the oppositions bench, where they proceeded to steal my stick and one guy grabbed my leg so I couldn't get off of the bench.

The last game, I was killing a penalty and I was standing by the side of the net as the play was going behind the net. He put the pass back to the point and I stepped into the shooting lane, and he took this lame fluttering head high shot that was probably going to go wide by 5 or 6 feet. So of course on instinct I did a perfect mid air tip into the top corner of our net. Thank god the game wasn't close at that point. But I buried myself behind the backup goalie for the rest of the game.

As far as baseball goes I always played shortstop and in a championship game, a player hit a grounder that I scooted over and fielded, I had a ton of time to make the throw to first, so I took the ball out of my glove, reared back and fired . . . .the ball right into the turf two feet in front of it and watched in horror as it did this slow roll to first . . . after that everyone called me Less Nessman for the rest of the year.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
When did this happen? I knew a couple of the FSU guys; the captain a few years back was a little guy, maybe 5'5", but man was he tough. Real gamer.

3 seasons back and the FSU guys were playing for a Bar in the OMHL in Olean NY. There was one guy on the team that was pretty small but had serious wheels and solid skills. Nota rocket of a shot but he seemed to be able to snipe the corners at will.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
3 seasons back and the FSU guys were playing for a Bar in the OMHL in Olean NY. There was one guy on the team that was pretty small but had serious wheels and solid skills. Nota rocket of a shot but he seemed to be able to snipe the corners at will.

yeah he would've been there still. he was built, too. did they have a huge chara on d, too. i did some weight training with that guy; he was scary

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
to be honest, after the first 15 minutes w/ shot count at that point being over 20 it all became a blurr. My son tallied the game at 76 scoring chances so I felt well enough keeping them to 16 goals, minus the 185 footer with a few seconds left in the 2nd. They completed the season undefeated. I heard that 4 of them went on to win the local Darts league for the same bar.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
My worst? Getting dressed for a high school game, and realizing....I forgot my skates at the sharpening place! I had to drive there IN FULL PADS and get them! The skate sharpener knew me, and had them sitting there. He goes "I figured you'd be in here sooner or later!" Made it back for warmups by about 30 seconds!

Of course, I manage to score into my own net about twice a season, too (playing D I deflect a lot of shots), which is kinda embarrassing, but I usually make up for it with an assist or two, so...

:D

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Heres some good ones.

during a shootout, wasn't gonna try anything fancy just try to pick a corner, do a little fake deke and completely wiff on the shot, didn't even get a piece of it.

Clearing out the front of the net during a PK, their point man takes a shot misses by a mile hits me square in the ass and right behind our goalie into the net.

Blocked a shot with my skate and unknown to me at the time it broke the skate blade. Proceed to fall on my ass about 3 times before making it to the bench.

Then there was the time i blocked a shot with my skate and the puck got stuck between the skate blade and the boot. Took some hacks to get it out.

Was caught up ice on a 2 on 1 and was backchecking hard, got close enough when they tried to pass it across i laid out to knock the puck away. Sure enough i end up putting it top corner, our goalie never had a chance.

and my favourite

Leagues allstar game, opening faceoff puck comes back to me and i try to go D to D. End up putting it on the tape of one of the opposition players and he goes in on a breakaway and its 1-0 10 seconds in, some allstar play that was fourtunately there was only about 1000 in attendance.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
Throwing up during Nashville Predators' training camp in 2003. I was in the U-Haul truck taking the gear from the plane to the rink. No room in the cab so I had to sit in the back, on equipment bags. They had just played a game against Atlanta so the gear was nice and moist.

When we got back to the rink, I got out and tossed my cookies.

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
I had a couple:

- a few years back I played goalie, but then went out to forward. One game our goalie no showed, so they put me in nets. I hadn't played goalie for several months at this point in time. We lost 8-4...the worst part was one of the goals. A guy dumped it in from the blue line, I went down to block it but I went down late and it went right through the five goal.

- earlier this year, I fell for the oldest trick in the book. Coming down the wing on a 2-on-1, I hear a stick slapping the ice behind me, and I drop the puck back right to the other team. I just skated around the net with my head back, the ref was laughing and as I skated by he says 'he got you, he got you bad.' He continued to laugh as he skated down the ice.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Made another one - its probably something a lot of people have done at some stage (I hope), but in the second period we changed goal ends, and as we were changing lines, I had a momentary loss of memory where I couldn't remember which end I should be skaing towards. And...uh...yep that cost me the puck because I slowed down to try and remember. Yikes, never done that before. I don't think anyone realised - which is probably worser.

BigBearnier

Jun 9, 2007
Illinois
I was out on the pk, and the other team was cycling in our zone. I manage to steal the puck off the boards and go to shoot it out of the zone, and ended up hitting the other teams pointman directly in the back of the helmet. it bounced, back into our zone and they scored.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
After losing the puck twice already cause of choppy ice and rolling pucks...

We're up 2-0 in the third. They pull their goalie. We're playing good D but we can only clear to center ice once in the minute. They get 2-3 really good chances that our goalie stuffs. It's been a minute. We're tired but about 25 seconds left. I'm playing LW and at the right point. Their L Dman winds up but his shot is blocked by our RW and the puck flys up and out of the zone. I have the momentum skating forward so I'm gone... tired legs and all but theirs a puck, a net, and noone in between.

I bolt down the ice, grab the puck just short of the redline using the onehanded-backhand push as I KNOW I'm being chased. I can 'HEAR' them gaining. My legs are tired so I can feel I have no strength and I'm chopping my way down the ice. At the blue line I bring the puck to my forehand and it goes on the edge, again, rolling along the ice. I try to knock it over once. Nothing. I hit it again as I get to the top of the circles... accidentally pushing it too far!!! It rolls along on edge about 5 feet in front of me. It seems like it's about to roll wide of the right post. I go down on one knee hoping I can reach it and knock it left. As I'm about to hit it, the puck veers left and into the net... and then so do I.

After sliding into the net backwards, the closest person I see is the ref, laughing his A off. No one put up a real chase and I could have easily skated half speed and pushed it in.

Oh well. I took a good ribbing from the team, my wife, my wife's team, and I'm sure others. But we won 3-0 and I was +3 with 1G and 1A. I'll take it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Come on, we are the weekend warriors......

How about being this guy....

Or the absolute worst.....

The last guy is blamed by some for singlehandedly killing a dynasty.;)

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I think mine takes the cake...This was 4 or 5 years ago, last game before the playoffs, we win and as I exited the bench, my stick gets jammed in the door. I pull and pull until finally it comes unstuck, I whirl around and trip off the bench, and sprain my ankle. Out for the 5 of the 7 game playoffs and I think cost our team a run at the finals.

On that note, we had to win the last game by 9 goals to make the finals, if we won by less, then team B would make it and if we lost, the team we were playing (Team C) would advance. So to attempt this feet, we pull our goalie most of the game. Only lost 9-4, pissed off team B mind you hahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad