Your best attribute(?) - Ice Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

UserName

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site
5'11 150

pretty small guy, but i only play roller hockey.

skating - very very smooth, effortless

shot - not consistantly hard, consistantly accurate

passing - long stretch passes, o so easy to me

hockey sense - i know where everybody on the rink is, easy for me to spot open ice

when playing with friends, i rack up 5 points in up to 5(goal) games

CH Wizard

felixd said:
If you're 15, 6'2 and 175, I strongly suggest you bulk up. I think I was 200 and 6'3 by the time I was 16, and I was told I needed to get bigger to be better.

Yep, I'm thin. I bulked up alot, beleive it or not, I was 6'2 155-160 some months ago.

Size is an advantage but it doesn't mean ****, if you've skills and speed, you will do just fine. The best player of my team is 5'8 and the kid is skilled like **** and he intimidates defencemans that are WAY bigger then him. Size is overrated these days.

I just don't think, I'll make midget espoirs, this year I went to their training camp and they weren't impressed...maybe next year.

phillyphan

Oct 12, 2005
philly-temple
im a roller hockey player turned ice hockey player just because i love the phyiscal aspect of them. i am good board player and good hitter. dispite my smallish size i like to play with an edge.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Jon Prescription said:
One of the better moments was when I absolutely destroyed some south-west Jersey kid in a tourny game in Medford, NJ and the whole arena nearly got into a fight over it. I had people throwing things at me and everything.

Next play I skated in on a break away and scored and threw the puck into the stands as a "souvenir".

Taunting American spectators, huh? Ovechkin must have gotten it from you :)

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Leadership, passing, shooting.

I make a pretty good first pass coming out of the zone and I have a pretty dangerous shot from the point. I'm always one of the first to speak up in the room and get the team going.

When I'm in net, my asset would be positioning. I'm square to the shooter most of the time and as a big goalie (6'2, 195) I get a lot of pucks hitting me in the crest.

[/tooting own horn]

Transported Upstater

chum said:
they all suck

but my vision sucks the least (on ice, that is. my eyes, ironically, are terrible)

next suckiest is my skating, but i have been insecure about it recently, so after i've been ice skating for 12 years i bought laura stamm's power skating book last week.

my worst attributes are my slap shooting power and upper body strength. oh, my hands are terrible too.

LOL! :bow:

Transported Upstater

The Great One said:
Yep, I'm thin. I bulked up alot, beleive it or not, I was 6'2 155-160 some months ago.

Size is an advantage but it doesn't mean ****, if you've skills and speed, you will do just fine. The best player of my team is 5'8 and the kid is skilled like **** and he intimidates defencemans that are WAY bigger then him. Size is overrated these days.

I just don't think, I'll make midget espoirs, this year I went to their training camp and they weren't impressed...maybe next year.

6'2' 160? WOW....You're actually thinner than I am...

(But you're 15 or so, so you're supposed to be thin, while I'm supposed to not be a bean pole)

Transported Upstater

Habsfan 32 said:
Deking and Shot. Alot of people say I have Kovalev hands and a Sakic Wrister.

If you have Kovalev hands and a Sakic wrister, you are a multi-millionaire, not a hfboards.com poster :D

Transported Upstater

I'm skinny, untalented, easily intimidated and have the worst hockey sense of anyone alive.

I have a nasty habit of taking horrible-angle, zero-chance-in-hell shots. Kind of like what Stephane Richer used to do.

My shot couldn't break a pane of glass. Come to think of it, I could take repeated shots at the aforementioned pane of glass for hours at a time, and the glass would eventually break, but from collapsing under the immense weight of its own laughter...

Good points:

-I'm improving on the faceoff. (Meaning instead of winning 20% of draws, I now win an illustrious 25%.)

-I'm obsessive about defense and will never abandon a zone or man (to a fault; I'm uber-conservative offensively..If I could actually play hockey I'd be the ultimate neutral-zone trapper) Playing against me is like having REALLY BAD jock itch; reading my posts and knowing me as a person elicits a similar reaction :biglaugh:

-Skating most certainly is NOT my major weakness. Having the hockey sense to know WHERE to skate and the talent to do things once I get there, though...THAT's my weakness.

I am a absolutely TERRIBLE leader and definite locker-room cancer. Every team I've played on. I get along well with people older and younger than me, and am likened to coarse sandpaper by peers. I'm great with coaches, and terrible with most teammates.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Good:
Vision (though I too have bad eyesight...)
Passing
Offensive/Defensive awareness
Discipline (My damn teammates take too many stupid penalties)
Speed

Bad:
Shot Power
Balance
Deking

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
When I was a player:

- Speed
- Defensive Awareness
- Checking
- Passing

When I was a goalie:

- Breakaways
- Blocker
- Stick
- Butterfly
- Pokecheck

MiZZZike*

I don't supose I'm bad at anything. Although my work ethic in practice isn't the greatest.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
I've been told that I have a "real gift for passing"; especially on the rush I seem to have incredible luck for putting a pass right on target. Two weeks ago, for instance, I rushed down the right side, pulled up in the right circle and whipped a perfect no-look pass around behind me to the trailing center who was wide open in the slot.

I never give up on the puck. Every time I play I end up getting chances because I fight through checks, pokechecks and steals.

I love crashing the net when I don't have the puck. I've gotten deflections, rebounds, you name it. I don't usually score the prettiest goals, but I never fail to take a whack at the puck if there's slop around the net.

I'm very good skating backwards as well; I don't get burned by forwards very often at all, and I've got a long enough reach and good enough reflexes that I can really be a nuisance in passing lanes.

My weaknesses are faceoffs, shooting (I have an accurate wrister, but I need more power on it, I need a lot more practice on slapshots, and I can't raise my backhand off the ice to save my life), and I tend to fall down a lot (I've only been ice skating since about May). I'm also very skinny (5'10"/130 on a good day). So far it hasn't been a huge problem since I have good speed, but especially mucking in the corners and in front of the net more muscle would be good. I'll never be good enough (or, really, even have the interest) to play any kind of competetive hockey; I'm strictly a rec league/beer league/play for fun kind of guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad