Your best attribute(?) - Ice Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
My best attributes would have to be my anticipation, vision and passing skills. Always racked up the assists during my more fruitful years before I quit hockey. It also helped that I played on a line with my best friend so we always knew where the other person was gonna be and where to put the puck.

Though a bit on the small side (5'10, 175 lbs) I always loved standing infront of the net and going at it with a defenseman. Drew a lot of penalties and took a beating doing it!

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Hmm, never played ice hockey before but i've been playing roller hockey for the last 7 years now (im 23). The team i play for only has a small number of players and most of them are a fair bit younger and less experienced than me. One of my strengths is that as the captain of the team, i feel i can communicate well with them and help them improve their game and skillsets. I've spent a lot of time in the past few months working with the younger players on the team (12-16) who have only been playing about a year (some much less time than that) and helping them improve. It feels good when you see them doing something they couldn't do a few weeks earlier as a result of working with them on a weakness.

In terms of my abilities though, my skills compare a lot better against the people on my team than people a similar age on other teams. One of my best assets is my wrist shot, i can put the puck on net pretty quick when i want, with decent accuracy as well. I can disguise a shot nicely too (my favourite trick being the Joe Sakic play where you look square across to a teammate and line up a pass then snap the puck on net without looking away from the teammate). I can get the puck on target about 80%+ of the time doing this. Good for creating chaos and rebounds in front of the net ;)

Other areas of my game that i consider of decent quality are passing, stickhandling, redirections and one timers. I find that these areas of my game are the best because they are something i can physically practice and refine technique even when practicing on my own. As i said though, these skills dont stack up as favourably against players of a similar age.

My weaknesses are more strength and condition related than skillset related. Im 5'7 and about 150 pounds. During games, i always get sent flying so when it comes to the physical stuff, the best i can do is try, i wont outmuscle most people. Also, my level of endurance is lacking lately. We train for 2 hours every sunday, and i used to be able to skate the whole time and feel fine but lately i get really tired with about 20 minutes to go. I've also lost some of the speed i used to have. Basically, i need to get myself in better shape cos i can't stick with the younger, lighter guys on the team anymore, who tend to just go around me.

ProctorSilex

Always had hockey sense, anticipation, the ability to spot the open ice. But the thing I did far better than everyone else was taking a faceoff. I practiced them against my Dad from the time I was 7 years old, but nobody else seemed to care to pick up that skill until they were in their teens by then it was too late. I knew going into every draw I was going to win it. Clutch.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
My size--at 6'10 340 Lbs, I can hit like a mofo(when I can catch the target) and also Im a ***** to move from in front of the net, I have taken many oh shots to my body to turn around and blast it at the goalie from 2 feet...Also I get a lot of tips...but other than that, Im a ****** skater, and a not so good shooter...my passing is alright but nothin to great

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Heart. I do what it takes to win and would take on MassiveHabs in front of the net and get my *** handed to me if that's what it took. :)

5'11, 180lbs for the record.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I never played ice hockey but I have played hockeyball for 11 years now and my passing is good. Vision and positioning too.

My weakness is that I may be labelled as soft and slow-footed.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not the biggest guy (5'9 160), nor the fastest guy, but I think my best attribute is just basically screening the goalie in front of the net, trying to tip it or getting the rebound. I usually end up takind a beating to the back of my head doing it, but whatever works wirks.My shots aren't the most powerful, but it is very accurate. I take a while to accelerate and get into full speed, but my full speed is pretty fast. I have also been told by a lot of teammates that I am a good passer.

+73*

in no specific order:

speed

stickhandling

passing/playmaking acumen--i always end up with really lopsided goal-to-assist ratios each season (the result of which is a real good shooting%, one of the goalies in the league said because i am such a Nylander type that he naturally assumes i am going to dish it; this is why i am able to look him off for a cheapie now and then)

plus, i pay much attention to being a responsible two-way forward

also faceoffs--very under-emphasized parts of the game (i have re-wound and studied many tapes/dvds of Guy Carbonneau on the draw)

ToothlessAggression

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
ToothlessAggression said:
Playmaking is my stength, my passes are not the most accurate sometimes, but I have a knack for finding an open guy even if I am in heavy traffic. My wrist shot used to be up there, but after hardly playing the last year for some reason I lost it. Really frustrating.

I am pretty weak outside of the offensive zone, but that is mostly because I am in terrible shape.

I just realised my new best skill tonight...sucking. :shakehead

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
I'm a guy who also doesn't normally pat himself on the back, but for sake of this thread I'll try to be as honest as possible.

Reading the play (both offensive and defenseive zone) is my best attribute. I've played defense for the last 10 years (I'm 29 now), and I used to be strictly an offensive d-man, however now I play more complete game. I've been told that I make great passes, especially breaking out of my zone or sending my forwards in on break-aways. And although we don't keep track of plus/minus in our rec league, I would be very surprised if I finished with a minus in any game I've played in the last 2 years.

I used to love getting goals and assists, but now my favorite play is breaking up a scoring chance in my own zone and sending my team away on an odd man rush.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Mine would probably be my Speed and vision on the ice....my team tells me i always know where everyone is without looking and that im the fastest on the team....i am the youngest so i think thats expected ;) 20 playin in a league with 25+ yr olds.....this year so far 3 games 2g and 2a so not to bad

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
teamstag said:
They aren't the hardest shots but they seem to be pretty accurate to me. One thing I tried last year when I was doing wrist shots was as I was winding up I lifted my leg and kinda used it as an extra push. I know lots of people do it but I thought it was just for show. It actually does add some power to your shot.

I taught myself how to skate so even just being at the same level as a few of the better guys is amazing to me. Although I still don't know how to do slap shots properly :dunno:

When you practice your slap shots on the board, don't put too much energy. Go for precision. Try to shoot on the goalie's belly because if you try to shoot on a certain corner of the net the risk that it misses the net increases. By aiming to the belly, even if you miss the "target" by three feet horizontally or vertically, you still hit the net area. If you're "good" at missing the target by two or three feet, then you will have success because you will hit the corners of the net, and that's where the balls go in!

Before the game, I calibrate my shot. I position myself five feet from the board and shoot. If the shot is weak I keep shooting from the same distance until the ball hits the board really hard. Then I back up until I'm 10 feet from the board and go into the same process. I prefer to shoot 40 times on the board than to shoot with the rest of the team and have the chance to shoot only three times. Unless you're a defenseman with a lot of space, you should practice snap shot because you shoot faster.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Hitting and Shot Power are definitely my best assets. Last time I played for real I was 6'4'' 225 now I'm probably around 210, but I used to hit anything that moved and I used to hit hard.

Too bad I am terribly slow and an abysmal skater. I try to make up for it by always trying on the ice, never getting lazy, but I am pretty slow.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
jaywills1020 said:
my mouth. theres nothing better then blowing by a d-man and talkin junk while i do it.

Just take the "by" out of that sentence and you've got some impressive skill there.

CH Wizard

My shot. I played Bantam B (which is A) and I almost didn't make Midget BB (AA) because I had 45 goals and 21 assits in 20 games. I almost didn't average an assist per game and scouts didn't really like that (there were scouts of the Cataractes :( ) I rarely miss the net and I'm a dynamic fast player so I tend to shot alot instead of passing. My goals aren't garbage goals though, I score alot in the high slots but I prefer shooting in the lower holes. The thing is, I"m 6'2 around 175 and I"m fast so defencemans hate me.

My slapshot is heavy also (88mph) which is sick for a 15 years old. This year, they use me on the point, on pp. I don't really like that because the ****ers in front of the net, take the rebound and I get my assists like that. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: This show you that I'm not a much of a passer. I used to play in front of the net to piss off the goalie.

Last edited by a moderator:

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
The Great One said:
My shot. I played Bantam B (which is A) and I almost didn't make Midget BB (AA) because I had 45 goals and 21 assits in 20 games. I almost didn't average an assist per game and scouts didn't really like that (there were scouts of the Cataractes :( ) I rarely miss the net and I'm a dynamic fast player so I tend to shot alot instead of passing. My goals aren't garbage goals though, I score alot in the high slots but I prefer shooting in the lower holes. The thing is, I"m 6'2 around 175 and I"m fast so defencemans hate me.

My slapshot is heavy also (88mph) which is sick for a 15 years old. This year, they use me on the point, on pp. I don't really like that because the ****ers in front of the net, take the rebound and I get my assists like that. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: This show you that I'm not a much of a passer. I used to play in front of the net to piss off the goalie.

If you're 15, 6'2 and 175, I strongly suggest you bulk up. I think I was 200 and 6'3 by the time I was 16, and I was told I needed to get bigger to be better.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm a defenseman. I have terrible speed, and if it weren't for my anticipation skills, I would get burned frequently. I can hit like a train, even though I'm not very big; I lack upper body strength as well as cardiovascular fitness. Still, I've had some nice open-ice hits ala Stevens. I have an average slapshot for a d-man, and I am an average stickhandler, but I can outthink pretty much anyone else on the ice. I have excellent vision, and I can quarterback a powerplay because I am very good at handling the puck; I intercept a lot of passes and am an excellent forechecker because of it. I had a lot of games where I had 0 goals but 6 or 7 assists. I absolutely love to make passes while doing a spin-orama. Also I'm very, very risky with the puck; usually I am successful, but sometimes, I get caught down deep. I have a good wrist shot, but I'm a pass-first kind of guy, mostly because I find it difficult to maneuver through traffic. A two-faced asset of mine is that I play the game very cleanly; I always push the boundaries of what is legal and what is not. However, I'm not the kind of guy who'll stick up for teammates or get into a fight. I'm also slightly uncoachable.

I played goalie at a very high level. I was very positionally sound; the king of the butterfly. It was pretty much impossible to score against me by trying to go down low. I was very good at handling two on ones, and I made one-timers and deflections look like nothing.

I was poor at keeping players out of the crease, and I found it difficult to talk trash. I had an average glove hand but could get beat above the blocker regularly. I've gotten beat on shots from outside the blueline, and I am guilty of sometimes mishandling poor shots by leaving giant rebounds. I am a bad puckhandler, and my skills are excaerbated by the fact that I make poor decisions with the puck. On breakaways, I always come waaaaay out to challenge the shooter. But if I ever go for the pokecheck, its a given goal. I've tried to change that, but I was even more unsuccessful Also, I was pretty inconsistent; some games I would be the best goalie in the leauge; other games, and I'd give up 6 goals. I always did well when I saw lots of shots. I have a winning season record, and have carried some pretty bad teams to the playoffs; however, I have faired poorly in the playoffs, with a losing record.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm 5'10 and around 200.

Best assets: RIDICULOUS speed and acceleration, perfect tape to tape passing skills, hockey sense, hitting ability, shot accuracy

Worst: Shot speed, hot head -- took a lot of penalties

My game was that of a super hard hitting scorer. I guess you could releate me to Bourret if any player out there. I put up a ton of points on the board whenever I played, I was fast as can be, and I would hit anything that moved. Sometimes I would try to hit over scoring and I know I have a temper on the ice which got the best of me on more than one occasion.

One of the better moments was when I absolutely destroyed some south-west Jersey kid in a tourny game in Medford, NJ and the whole arena nearly got into a fight over it. I had people throwing things at me and everything.

Next play I skated in on a break away and scored and threw the puck into the stands as a "souvenir". Got a one gamer for that (which our team won the next game, of course) and came back and scored a hat trick in the championship.

Caused so much hell in that tournament.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
BTW I'm also pretty much been done with full contact hockey for nearly 3 years now due to two torn ACL's and a few concussions. I could've played for a long time if I was less of a reckless player but it was my game. I'm sure I would've went on to play college hockey if I hadn't been so banged up.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
My biggest attribute is my punctuality. I'm always at the game 45 minutes early!

Seriously, it used to be speed. Now it's brains and passing ability. I see passes no one else sees (I guess), and make them 75% of the time. Of course, since my teammates aren;t ready for them, they sometimes go for icings, but hey....

And I can drink a lot of beer after the game, so....

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Right now my best attribute is the ability to make good passes. You should always know where your teamates are before you even get the ball. Once you have the ball it's too late to look around to see where they are. A good example: We were in our defense zone, and I saw the other wing running and knew he was going for a break-away, and I knew that the defense was to pass me the ball in the next seconds. That was an easy one. As soon as I got the ball, I passed it to the wing who scored with no one miles around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad