Your Best and Worst Memories During the Streak

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Agreed.

Nothing will top that first Cup win. Prior to that it felt like the Wings were never gonna have what it takes to get there and maybe Yzerman's only shot at winning one is if the Wings traded him.

I'm going to piggyback this answer, too.

The game 7 against Colorado in 2002 was a treat, too. That team was incredible because you could ice and entire 6 man formation of Hall of Famers.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Agreed.

Nothing will top that first Cup win. Prior to that it felt like the Wings were never gonna have what it takes to get there and maybe Yzerman's only shot at winning one is if the Wings traded him.

That first cup was incredible because it ended the drought, but I honestly enjoyed the 2002 playoff run more, I thought it was a real special epic run that you only see in movies. Yzerman playing like a legendary hero on one leg and inspiring everyone around him was a treat to watch. Also I loved that year because they faced adversity every single series they played:

- 1st round they were down 2-0 to a very hot Vancouver team and on enemy territory in game 3 Lidstrom scores from center ice on Cloutier, that turned the entire series around and we went on to win the rest of the games.

- In round 2 the Wings were up 2-0 against the Blues, then in game 3 the Blues chased Hasek with 6 goals and came to life, game 4 was tough until Pronger decided to take a run on Yzerman and injuring himself in the process, the Wings won that game by a goal then eliminated the Blues with ease in game 5 on home ice.

- Round 3 against the Avs was an epic battle of two giants, the series was back and forth and the Wings were facing elimination in game 6, then Roy's statue of liberty happened, and game 7 was an expected beautiful shocker.

- In the final round we lost the first game to the Canes, many were speculating that the war against the Avs might have taken a lot out of the Wings while the Canes were well rested, game 2 we evened the series and headed to Carolina for game 3, this was an epic game, we were down by a goal with almost a minute left on the clock, Hasek was getting ready to leave the net but Bowman decided to keep him in and roll 4 forwards with Lidstrom, he had Fedorov (Playing the other side to Nick) and Yzerman, Hull, and Shanahan up front. We won the faceoff and Lidstrom was able to get a shot on the net which was tipped on the way in by Hull. We headed to OT, the Canes were known to be amazing in the OT that year, we played 3 periods and Larionov scored a beauty, from then the next two games were destined to be ours.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Worst memories:
Obviously the limo accident is number one. I remember hearing about when it first happened late at night of wdfn. The ultimate stomach punch.

The early playoff exits at the start. The sharks loss in 94 and blues in 92 if i remember correctly stand out. Most of us probably remember the ending of the sharks series and the kick in the nuts goal ozzie gave up.

The retirements. Man it's sucked to say good bye to some of these players. Yzerman being the hardest. I watched him from the mid 80s when I was just a kid until I was a grown man. I lived and died with his ups and downs. Once he was gone it just wasn't the same. I don't think it ever will be.

Best memories:
Yzerman finally lifting the cup,baby! I don't know if I'll ever not get misty eyed watching Yzerman being handed the cup for the first time and the sound of the joe going absolutely crazy. Oh what a night...

Brawl game. Omg I watched this game about 4 times the night it happened. Had the radio set to wdfn in the background listening to the fan reactions. It was more than just the fights, everyone knew the tables turned that night. Mac scoring the overtime winner was poetic..

There's just too damn many other great memories to list. So many big goals, amazing shifts,blocked shots, penalty kills watching players leave it all on the ice. Emotional moments like vladdy getting the cup. Just such a ride. There's no words to do it justice.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
On the other side of the Vladdy accident, there was the team bringing him onto the ice a year later to celebrate.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I've honestly had too many good memories. I refuse to dwell on the bad though. If I had to pick a favorite it was Slava Kozlov's series winning goal in 1995 vs Chicago to that got the wings to the finals for the first time in my life. Also very fond of kozzie shoving Adam Foote's face into the glass which aside from shellling Roy in his last game as a Hab really set the wings avs rivalry off. Obviously I'm biased for my favorite NHL player Slava Kozlov though.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I've honestly had too many good memories. I refuse to dwell on the bad though. If I had to pick a favorite it was Slava Kozlov's series winning goal in 1995 vs Chicago to that got the wings to the finals for the first time in my life. Also very fond of kozzie shoving Adam Foote's face into the glass which aside from shellling Roy in his last game as a Hab really set the wings avs rivalry off. Obviously I'm biased for my favorite NHL player Slava Kozlov though.

Loved slava too. He was a feisty little ******* and one of the more over looked or unheralded players of the era. He was a lot better than he gets credit for and had a penchant for scoring timely goals. One of the great things about those teams is they did quite a bit to dispell the soft euro label players had coming over. I can't think of any of our players that were soft or a pushover. Certainly none of the Russian 5,Homer or lids.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
I think he showed his personal potential when be went to Atlanta. The Russian five was so awesome though. I loved the wings for their willingness to employ euros when they unfairly had questionable reputations by virtue of their place of birth.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Way too many:

- Yzerman giving Bowman the cup in 2002 and Scotty skating with it for the last time in his career as a coach.
- The 97 brawl with the Avs.
- Game 7 in 2002 against the Avs.
- Larionov's OT goal vs the Canes in the 2002 playoffs, that game was 3 overtime periods and the series was tied 1-1.
- Shanahan scoring the empty netter in game 5 of the finals against the Canes and jumping on Yzerman in celebration.
- Steve Yzerman overtime goal against the Blues in the 96 playoffs (Shame we did not win the cup that year).
- Zetterberg shutting down Crosby back to back (Shame we lost the rematch).
- Lidstrom scoring on Cloutier from center ice in 2002 playoffs, we were down 2 games to null and this was a game on enemy territory, you knew that was the turning point when it happened.
- Darren McCarty channeling his inner Mario Lemiuex and scoring the game winning goal that got us the cup in the 97 playoffs against the Flyers.
- Yzerman raising the cup in 97.

I'm sure there are more but these are off the top of my head. The worst is what happened to Konstantinov and Fischer, followed by our losses in 09 finals, 95 finals, 96 semi-final, and 07 semi-final.

If anyone ever asks me what was the perfect shot that is the first that comes to mind. Unbelievable placement.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Off the top of my head, the best memory would be the 23 home game winning streak was pretty special to watch (November 5, 2011 to February 19, 2012).

Also, that 6 point night (4 goals + 2 assists) Franzen had against the Sharks in 2010 postseason was something else. Plus, the 5 goal night Franzen got against Ottawa in 2011 was great too!

He was really a beast :

NHL record for most goals in a 4-game playoff series (9).
Detroit Red Wings record for most game-winning goals in one month, March 2008 (6).
Detroit Red Wings record for most goals in a single playoff series (9).
Detroit Red Wings record for consecutive playoff games with a point (12, tied with Gordie Howe)
Detroit Red Wings record for consecutive playoff games with a goal (5, tied with Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay).
Detroit Red Wings record for most goals in a single playoff year (13, tied with Henrik Zetterberg).
Detroit Red Wings record for most game-winning goals in one playoff year (5, 2008)
Detroit Red Wings record for most points in a playoff game (6), 6 May 2010, vs. San Jose Sharks

Worst :

The Jiri Fischer incident
6 PP goals against vs the Sharks in 2007.
The two first round exits the last couple of years against Tampa Bay.

Too young to remember the Konstantinov incident.

NoVA Wings Fan

Jun 24, 2016
Northern Virginia
Off the top of my head, the best memory would be the 23 home game winning streak was pretty special to watch (November 5, 2011 to February 19, 2012).

Also, that 6 point night (4 goals + 2 assists) Franzen had against the Sharks in 2010 postseason was something else. Plus, the 5 goal night Franzen got against Ottawa in 2011 was great too!

He was really a beast :

Worst :

The Jiri Fischer incident
6 PP goals against vs the Sharks in 2007.
The two first round exits the last couple of years against Tampa Bay.

Too young to remember the Konstantinov incident.

I forgot about the Fischer incident. I was at the game so nobody knew what was really going on. Was scary for sure.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Wow, you picked one beauty of a game to attend. I distinctly remember watching that series, thinking that the loss in game 1 was only a short delay to the imminent coronation, and I can still picture my dad, my brother, and myself, staying up for the entire 3OT marathon, watching every shift with such tension and excitement...

And probably waking up the neighbors with our cheers when The Professor scored that goal. :D

Haha, yeah I lucked out my family had season tickets to the Canes, and asked me if I wanted to come down for the game. Had to decide when we were down 3-2 to the Avs but I held out hope. I skipped studying for my Spanish final Freshman year to go. I'll never forget it.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Losing to LA in '01 was bad. Even though it led to a positive result the following season.

Favorites are finally breaking through in '95 and the rally from being down 3-0 to San Jose in '11.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Being able to watch the Russian 5 is a really fond memory. I had never personally seen hockey like that before or after. It was like watching poetry. That was the peak of Red Wings puck possession hockey.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Losing to LA in '01 was bad. Even though it led to a positive result the following season.

Favorites are finally breaking through in '95 and the rally from being down 3-0 to San Jose in '11.

Losing to the Sharks in 94, getting swept by the Devils in 95, and the defeat against the Avs in 96 all sucked bad, but losing to LA in 01 felt the worst of all of them because I remember actually feeling like the run at being elite was officially over. Little did we know how that offseason would turn the fortune - in addition to what had just been drafted in 98 and 99.

And good call on the 11 series vs SJ. I was at game 6 at the Joe and that was the best Joe expierience I've had outside of being at the game on March 26, 97, and I've been to a bunch of big playoff games in between.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Red Wings 97/98 Cup teams were a huge part of my childhood, and I have some personal favorites from back then I figured I'd share:

1997 Cup run - I was 10, and at that point hockey was never a big thing in my house. I'm assuming my Dad was drawn in by the sensationalism of the potential WCF with the Avs, because the first game I ever watched and ever witnessed my Dad watch was during the 2nd round against the Ducks. I watched Sergei Fedorov, with his crazy Nike skates and gloves and weird mullety hair that wasn't even remotely damp, make a rush down the ice and I was HOOKED. I made a point to watch every game for the rest of the playoffs and my life became Red Wings everything after that. One thing I'll never forget was the fanfare during the Finals. Like every kid that grew up in Troy during the 90's, I played organized youth soccer. That year, the end of the season "tournament" was held the same day as game 4 of the Finals in the morning and afternoon. The amount of cars in the parking lot adorned with Red Wings flags, and minivans with brooms sticking up out of their 3rd row windows was INCREDIBLE.

My first game at the Joe - 2/25/98 vs. the Kings. Sat probably less than ten rows from the very back wall behind the Wings goal in the 1st period and watched Osgood let in a softy from Josef Stumpel something like 13 seconds into the game... Then missed Brent Gilchrist tie it up while in the bathroom to start the 3rd... The 1-1 game was pretty boring for me as a kid. At the time, Sergei Fedorov was my favorite player. Being 10 and less than a year into my Red Wings fandom, I didn't really know or understand the details of his absence that season. I just remember going on my Dads computer before leaving for the game and making a sign that said something about wanting Fedorov to come back. Needless to say, I felt pretty awesome the next day when I heard on the WJR Mitch Albom show that my Mom listened to EVERY evening that Fedorov was coming back.

One of my worst from back then:

Uwe Krupp - Hindsight's 20/20, but that signing not working out was hugely disappointing to me as a kid. At that time, I didn't have unlimited access to the web, so my initial Red Wings/hockey news/info came from watching their games, looking at stats on my PC versions of NHL96 or NHL Powerplay 98, overhearing my Mom's radio playing the Mitch Albom show, or my Mom relaying what she heard from Mitch Albom to me. I would then usually hunt down that days Oakland Press to confirm. Anyway, I remember her telling me to come listen to the radio one day, because they were interviewing some "huge guy named OOVEE the Red Wings signed". I was always diligent in adding the newest (and existing within the game) Red Wings to the team on NHL PP 98 and then playing a whole bunch of games (usually on "easy" lol) to see how the team looked winning games by double digit margins with the newest player(s). Then, my Dad got me the PC version of NHL99, which gave me a huge (no pun intended) appreciation for Krupp. For those unfamiliar, NHL99's graphics or whatever greatly exaggerated height and weight, to the point where a 6'6" 235lb Krupp looked like a giant Michelin Man wearing a Red Wings jersey. In fact, he appeared almost as big as my created player version of myself, which I made the max 6'10" 250lb and with the biggest beard available. In that game, open ice checks made an extremely over exaggerated crashing noise and caused opposing players to do a backflip, which would trigger a recording of Jim Hughson saying "A TRUCK HIT HIM". They looked pretty cool to an 11 year old me delivering them with my massive created player and Uwe Krupp. Unfortunately, the games I saw that year with Krupp didn't seem to feature those kind of hits, and other than being tall, he certainly wasn't as inflated looking as he was in the game. I was bummed when he got hurt and then suspended from the team, but I sure had a lot of fun on NHL99 when Holland went out and got Chelios, Samuelsson, Clark and Ranford later that year.

Past childhood, I'd say my favorite was the entire 2008 season. It was entertaining from day one. The Igor Grigorenko saga in camp, Aaron Downey making the team and providing some fisticuffs and pounding LaPerriere after he put a dirty hit on Lidstrom, watching peak Zetterberg and Datsyuk surrounded by a whole bunch of young guys quickly improving and settling into their roles, McCarty's return, Dallas Drake throwing around his body in the playoffs like he had absolutely zero regard for his physical well being, watching the often maligned Osgood help lead them to a Cup, and then attending the Cup parade and hearing boo's for Kwame Kilpatrick loud enough to drown out horns from passing boats on the Detroit River. Priceless.

Last edited:

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Aside from the usual traumatic life events (death of a family member, what have you), the loss in 2009 was legit probably the worst two days of my life.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00