Your Best and Worst Memories During the Streak

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Not a Wings fan, but growing up they were the best team for years. The battles they had w Colorado were legendary.

I kinda hated u guys cause u won all the time but eventually respected you and cheered for you towards the end of the run

The 2 that stick out to me are the 2002 WCF w COL and the Ducks sweeping you in 2003. I didn't see that happening.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I started to list some of my favorites and the list quickly grew too long. I've have so many great memories watching the Red Wings since the early 90s. There's no question that their success is partly responsible for my love of hockey.

Bad memories are usually characterized by the playoff losses. But those losses made the victories that much sweeter.

I'm very thankful for the streak and success. And I badly want to have the feeling of optimism during this time of the year again. That's why I'm concerned/critical of the way they might be going about rebuilding. I'm still excited to watch playoff hockey, but it's not the feeling that it used to be knowing Detroit had a chance to make a run. Even last year didn't feel the same. Last year felt like it was over before it started for me and that's why I want to seen a contender built again.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Best: Rafalski scoring the go-ahead goal in Game 5 of the finals in '08. It felt like the cup winning goal at the time, after we came from 2-0 down - even though it didn't turn out that way.

Worst: Losing to Colorado in '96. I still remember thinking "if this team (NHL record 62 wins) isn't good enough, how are we ever going to win a cup?"

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
best is the first cup win, worst is Vladdy being hurt in the limo accident literally days later. Close second is the loss to SJ in the playoffs where Osgood was just in way over his head too early in his career.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
This is tough. I'll say getting to see them lift the cup in '08. I was pretty young for the others and wasn't as huge of a fan then. But by '08 I loved the Wings and that moment really solidified just how impressive our team was IMO.

Losing in '09 to Pittsburgh is also probably my worst moment. I hated that team so very much. It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they weren't a bunch of whiney gutless pieces of human garbage, we'd had a normal schedule and Sid the Kid wasn't the face of the league already... I hate Pittsburgh. I hated losing but it was made oh so much worse losing to them. I hope they never win another game.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'm a Penguins fan first and foremost (sorry), but my wife is a huge Wings fan and I've liked them enough since I got into hockey around '90.

Some highlights, though some weren't playoff-specific:

- the 08/09 Cup runs vs. the Penguins. Saw many games live including '08 3OT (sadly not the Cup-winning game as my wife couldn't get the time off work), and the '09 Cup win for Pittsburgh. Saw a few Wings wins from those series as well, including the 5-0 drubbing, but those 2 can't be touched. The 3OT game was the best game I've ever seen in person, I wish the Wings would have just won it there. The suspense and feelings brought on by the tying goal in the 3rd, followed by the crazy OT, were plenty for me.

- the 'earlier' Cup wins. While I wasn't in the area at the time and able to watch many Wings games (so I had a lesser emotional stake into it), I was happy to see them do it in my lifetime and also happy for some of the players I'd always been a fan of.

- the Avs fight (wife was at that game, long before I knew her though!)

- a couple personal ones such as meeting some players at the rink (Howe, Datysuk, Lindsay among the best), and my obvious-top choice of proposing to my wife at center ice after a morning practice when the Pens were in town (thanks guys!)

- going to the Winter Classic at UM

Can't really think of any lowlights right now aside from Konstantinov; anything else just pales in comparison. There were things that weren't great, but how can you throw it in with that?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Best: Seeing Stevie Y raise the cup to the home crowd in 97. I'll never forget the look on his face and the sound of the crowd. It was a perfect moment for a redwing fan.

Worst: trading away a first for Kyle Quincey. Replacing a HOF defenseman with Kyle Quincey and using a first to do so was one of the defining moments that the cup window officially closed and the era was over. It was a clear indication that Holland was done as a legit GM and that the wings committed to being a marginal team for playoff appearances.

Actual worst: being at the Joe to see Petr Sykora force the finals to go to game 6 in that triple OT winner. I was a minute and a half from seeing a Stanley cup presented at the Joe in person. F.U. penguins.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Best: Seeing Stevie Y raise the cup to the home crowd in 97. I'll never forget the look on his face and the sound of the crowd. It was a perfect moment for a redwing fan.

Worst: trading away a first for Kyle Quincey. Replacing a HOF defenseman with Kyle Quincey and using a first to do so was one of the defining moments that the cup window officially closed and the era was over. It was a clear indication that Holland was done as a legit GM and that the wings committed to being a marginal team for playoff appearances.

Actual worst: being at the Joe to see Petr Sykora force the finals to go to game 6 in that triple OT winner. I was a minute and a half from seeing a Stanley cup presented at the Joe in person. F.U. penguins.

Kyle Quincey wasn't traded for to replace Lidstrom. What are you talking about? They made that trade and they went hard after Ryan Suter to replace a HOF defenseman. I get the hate on using the 1st to do so, but landing Quincey was done for the 2011-2012 postseason run, not to replace the greatest active defenseman at the time.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The final seconds of the 08 cup win. Even though there's no chance Hossa scores in the heat of the moment that was awesome to see

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
It was 1995 and I was 10 years old. We were asked by our teacher to interview our hero. So I sat down and wrote a letter to Gordie Howe and asked him 10 questions. My mom found his address in the phone book and we mailed him my interview letter. Fast forward two weeks and I got a letter back, hand written by Gordie himself with all my questions answered, plus a couple of signed photos. My favorite response to the question "What is your favorite sport?" was his response of "Golf". I have to find that letter, but that was my favorite moments from the streak.

2009 SCF, while hosting a training camp up at my house, me and the entire college team I was training sat down and watched game 7. I gave the boys the rest of the night off and let them sleep in the following morning.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Some of the best: the Flyers series in '97 and the Avs series in '02 were each tremendous in their own way.

Some of the worst: seeing years of the 'veteran UFA plug' approach, believing it had zero chance at ending well...Then watching my beliefs confirmed.

Oh, and that Devils series in '95 was brutal. Getting that close, then not only getting swept, but to see the trap completely suffocate a puck possession team to such a degree...It was as boring a loss as it was frustrating.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Best: Beating Patrick Roy 11-2 to force him out of Montreal. This backfired by making the Avs a monster, but damn did it feel good to see the Wings just take apart the Canadiens that night. Then, beating Roy 7-0 in Game 7. Something about bombing that man with goals just fills my heart with glee.

Worst: Vladdy and Jiri Fischer. Two D-men, one who was arguably as important as Lidstrom and another who was a bonafide top 4 option who was starting to look really good that we lost for no compensation. Lost to a car crash and a heart anamoly. We don't lose Fischer to that heart issue and we probably don't need to trade for Kyle Quincey in 2012. He'd have been 32 or 33 at that time.

In terms of play worst memories? 2009 Cup Finals game 6 and game 7. After Game 5 looked like a coronation with that 5-0 bombing, we lost in a grind it out game 6 and then lost game 7 on the strength of two goals by Maxime Talbot. Nothing to back it up, but I think if they replay that Game 7 ten times, the Wings win it 9 of 10. That series will always bug me because it felt like it was stolen based on weird, indefensible things done by the league.

Messing with the start of the series for a back-to-back and also not suspending Malkin for game 3 when instigating a fight in the last five minutes of a game was literally an automatic suspension by the rule book.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
best is the first cup win, worst is Vladdy being hurt in the limo accident literally days later. Close second is the loss to SJ in the playoffs where Osgood was just in way over his head too early in his career.

Agreed.

Nothing will top that first Cup win. Prior to that it felt like the Wings were never gonna have what it takes to get there and maybe Yzerman's only shot at winning one is if the Wings traded him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kyle Quincey wasn't traded for to replace Lidstrom. What are you talking about? They made that trade and they went hard after Ryan Suter to replace a HOF defenseman. I get the hate on using the 1st to do so, but landing Quincey was done for the 2011-2012 postseason run, not to replace the greatest active defenseman at the time.

Never got Suter so Quincey effectively became Holland's replacement for Lidstrom, or ineffectively shall we say :sarcasm: Maybe we can just change this to Lids retiring and call it a day.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The best memories are the 97 and 98 cups, as well as both of the Colorado brawls.
The worst memory is easily Vladimir Konstantinov's fateful limo ride.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Best: watching datsyuk and Zetterberg post lockout. Nothing really specific, but they are my fav players ever and I enjoyed watching their careers

worst: 2010, 2013, and 2015

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I was a little bit too young for the '97 and '98 championships. I remember them but didn't realize how special they were at the time.

Best:
- 2002 WCF/Cup
- 2007 Calgary and San Jose series... seeing Datsyuk and Zetterberg really come into their own
- 2008 Cup

Worst:
- The Fischer scare
- 2006 Edmonton series
- 2007 Anaheim series...the fluttering puck over Hasek's shoulder in game 5, the hit on Holmstrom, the questionable calls
- 2009 SCF... it was a great run but they should've won

Bittersweet:
- 2011 WCSF against SJ... nearly coming back from down 3-0, Datsyuk was absolutely unbelievable that series
- 2013 WCSF against Chicago... would've been a great upset had they pulled it off

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Best:So many but just the pleasure of Pavel Datsyuk in on top
Worst: losing the series to Chicago after taking a 3-1 lead

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Best:
1. Larionov 3OT goal in the finals vd the Canes. It was my first live playoff game.
2. Seeing Stevie lift the cup in 97, and Macs clinching goal.
3. The Brawl, stI'll gives me chills watching it.
HM: Drapes OT comeback goal in the finals vs the Caps.

Worst:
1. 09 loss to the Pens. I still feel we were the better team overall.
2. 07 loss to the Ducks. Ditto above but I also hated that thuggish team.
3. Fischer collapse & Vladdy accident.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Best:
1. Larionov 3OT goal in the finals vd the Canes. It was my first live playoff game.
2. Seeing Stevie lift the cup in 97, and Macs clinching goal.
3. The Brawl, stI'll gives me chills watching it.
HM: Drapes OT comeback goal in the finals vs the Caps.

Worst:
1. 09 loss to the Pens. I still feel we were the better team overall.
2. 07 loss to the Ducks. Ditto above but I also hated that thuggish team.
3. Fischer collapse & Vladdy accident.
Wow, you picked one beauty of a game to attend. I distinctly remember watching that series, thinking that the loss in game 1 was only a short delay to the imminent coronation, and I can still picture my dad, my brother, and myself, staying up for the entire 3OT marathon, watching every shift with such tension and excitement...

And probably waking up the neighbors with our cheers when The Professor scored that goal. :D

NoVA Wings Fan

Jun 24, 2016
Northern Virginia

It is hard to beat that moment. It is the one that'll always stick out in my mind. It was the same day I graduated High School too which was the same day as my graduation party. My father had the big screen TV out in the garage so everyone could watch.

The worst...easily....a few weeks later when Vladdy and the guys were injured in the accident. You could no longer celebrate the cup win. Just too sad at that point.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Way too many:

- Yzerman giving Bowman the cup in 2002 and Scotty skating with it for the last time in his career as a coach.
- The 97 brawl with the Avs.
- Game 7 in 2002 against the Avs.
- Larionov's OT goal vs the Canes in the 2002 playoffs, that game was 3 overtime periods and the series was tied 1-1.
- Shanahan scoring the empty netter in game 5 of the finals against the Canes and jumping on Yzerman in celebration.
- Steve Yzerman overtime goal against the Blues in the 96 playoffs (Shame we did not win the cup that year).
- Zetterberg shutting down Crosby back to back (Shame we lost the rematch).
- Lidstrom scoring on Cloutier from center ice in 2002 playoffs, we were down 2 games to null and this was a game on enemy territory, you knew that was the turning point when it happened.
- Darren McCarty channeling his inner Mario Lemiuex and scoring the game winning goal that got us the cup in the 97 playoffs against the Flyers.
- Yzerman raising the cup in 97.

I'm sure there are more but these are off the top of my head. The worst is what happened to Konstantinov and Fischer, followed by our losses in 09 finals, 95 finals, 96 semi-final, and 07 semi-final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad