Your All-NHL Team of the decade thus far?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Lidstrom and McDavid don't belong on this team. Team of the decade is about best performers over the entire time period, not just a few standout years.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Dman scoring...I removed Byfuglien, he is actually third in scoring, but was a forward for several years.

Erik Karlsson - 440
Brent Burns - 350
Keith Yandle - 330
Shea Weber - 328
PK Subban - 325
Duncan Keith - 321
Kristopher Letang - 315
Alex Pietrangelo - 313
Kevin Shattenkirk - 308
Ryan Suter - 295
Victor Hedman - 289
Drew Doughty - 285
Mark Giordano - 279
Brent Seabrook - 267
Burns was as well.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
point taken on Burns

I was just looking at power plays goals for the same group - Weber's numbers are out of this world (64)... he has 23 more goals than the the number 2 on the list (41). To put that in perspective number 2 to number 10 (31) is separated by only 10 goals

Similar to Ovechkin with game winning goals - he has 55, 12 more than 2nd on the list... 2nd to 10th is only separated by 5 goals.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don’t know that 2011 is the best example of him belonging on this decade’s team.

I consider that a pretty controversial win. He barely won, and as a negative player. That year really seemed more about name recognition.

If I'm taking best players from this decade there's no way I'm leaving even a slightly out of prime Lidstrom off the team. He might not have been the best defenseman that year but he was very close to it. Plus minus means nothing.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
If I'm taking best players from this decade there's no way I'm leaving even a slightly out of prime Lidstrom off the team. He might not have been the best defenseman that year but he was very close to it. Plus minus means nothing.
I think the point is that his contributions to this decade are limited to basically 2 years, and those were off-prime years.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Being very close to the best defenseman for that one year is not an argument to put him on an all-decade team. tarheel nailed it. You've got two years of Lidstrom and one controversial award vs. multiple years of other defensemen. Someone like Subban has a better argument.

If Lidstrom dominated his competition in those two years, maybe he has an argument, but he didn't. Those two years do not trump more years from other defensemen.

Edit: And, with all due respect, +/- was pretty consistently an argument brought up in favor of Lidstrom throughout his career. Suddenly it doesn't matter? I'm not buying that.

Last edited:

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
This is actually very difficult.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Kane
Benn-Malkin-St. Louis
Sedin-Backstrom- Iginla
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Perry

So many good players I had to leave off. Tried to include players who were successful all 10 years or as many as possible, stay true to position, and did my best to balance the lines.

Could make the case for about 30-40 different forwards.

Chara-Keith
Karlsson-Weber
Doughty-Subban

Lundqvist
Price

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Ovechkin--Crosby--Kane
Benn--Malkin--Perry
Stamkos--Backstrom--St Louis
Giroux--Tavares--Kessel

Keith--Karlsson
Suter--Weber
Hedman--Doughty

Lundqvist
Holtby

Other than OV and Benn there's no real standout LWs so I put Stamkos and Giroux there because they definitely deserve a spot.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
This is actually very difficult.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Kane
Benn-Malkin-St. Louis
Sedin-Backstrom- Iginla
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Perry

So many good players I had to leave off. Tried to include players who were successful all 10 years or as many as possible, stay true to position, and did my best to balance the lines.

Could make the case for about 30-40 different forwards.

Chara-Keith
Karlsson-Weber
Doughty-Subban

Lundqvist
Price
Iginla? This decade? Add in the same incredulousness for Zetterberg.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Iginla? This decade? Add in the same incredulousness for Zetterberg.

Yeah from 2007-8 to 2016-17, the last decade, Iginla was 4th among all wingers in goals scored and 5th in points. If I misread the OP and this was only supposed to be 2010 through the present, well then no need to put much stock in my lineup.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah from 2007-8 to 2016-17, the last decade, Iginla was 4th among all wingers in goals scored and 5th in points. If I misread the OP and this was only supposed to be 2010 through the present, well then no need to put much stock in my lineup.
Okay - that's fair. I read it as meaning 2010 on, similar to how if you said "best players this century" you wouldn't throw out Eddie Shore, but I can see your reading too.

Reactions: kmo429

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This is an incredibly difficult list to put together so I'm not even going to try. However, I would be curious to see how lists change if centers could be moved onto the wing (as has been done in past tournaments).

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
This is an incredibly difficult list to put together so I'm not even going to try. However, I would be curious to see how lists change if centers could be moved onto the wing (as has been done in past tournaments).
Yeah - question is what rules. Is this post-season All-Star voting rules (as in position locked)? Or is this Hockey Canada roster making rules where you carry 10 centers for 13 spots?

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Weird that I'm saying this, but Daniel Sedin probably doesn't belong, even with the dearth of left wingers. Even more shocking, but Toews might be being underrated here...lots of recency bias with some of these lists. Kucherov hasn't done nearly enough in the decade to be considered for example.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Kane
Benn-Malkin-Stamkos
Kopitar-Toews-Bergeron
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Kessel/Perry
Getzlaf/Seguin/McDavid

Karlsson-Doughty
Keith-Subban
Weber-Hedman
Burns

Price
Lundqvist
Quick

If you're happy to include 7 centres on the first four lines, then sure, guys like Kucherov wouldn't make it. I obviously tried to keep it to strict positions, otherwise Stamkos for example would absolutely be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad