your 3 summer wishes : round 1 - coach - ufa

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
This.

New lottery rules guarantees top-2 pick, and we don't have number 1 center. Next season Yzerman is going to tank harder than ever. Next seasons team is going to be same as this years team + seider. Johansson is not ready yet and Raymond might need 1 more year, but let him play the 9 games first and decide then if he's ready or not. Yzerman might bring a new coach in after the season, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Blashill re-signed. Yzerman still can wait and see for couple years if Tampa fires Cooper, next year Red Wings will tank and year after that team will filled with rookies. I don't expect them to make the playoffs, but the intentional tank should end after the next season.

The new lottery rules don’t guarantee a top 2 pick. The worst team could still pick 3rd.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
So we're getting Gallant then?

He was Stevie's linemate, and obviously familiar with the Detroit area.

I think it was Bultman at The Athletic (or possibly Khan at MLive, I forget, I drink too much) who recently hinted that Yzerman is not considering Gallant and Lambert due to their friendships. I heard Brind'amour is at the top of the list. I dunno. I don't get too stuck on the coaches. We can watch players on the ice and judge for ourselves about 80% (pulling that % out of my ass, yes) of what matters with them.

But with coaches? We don't see what happens at practice, in the film room, in the locker room, etc. We are shielded from 80% of what's going on with them. We can see the results on the ice and then argue ad nauseam about how much of that result is on the coaches and how much on the roster. But I find it curious when fans seem so sure about so many different coaches. Lot of ignorance baked into many of those opinions methinks. (not saying it's out of bounds to have an opinion on a coach, just that the collective strength of opinions on coaches in general seems to be way too high)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think it was Bultman at The Athletic (or possibly Khan at MLive, I forget, I drink too much) who recently hinted that Yzerman is not considering Gallant and Lambert due to their friendships. I heard Brind'amour is at the top of the list. I dunno. I don't get too stuck on the coaches. We can watch players on the ice and judge for ourselves about 80% (pulling that % out of my ass, yes) of what matters with them.

But with coaches? We don't see what happens at practice, in the film room, in the locker room, etc. We are shielded from 80% of what's going on with them. We can see the results on the ice and then argue ad nauseam about how much of that result is on the coaches and how much on the roster. But I find it curious when fans seem so sure about so many different coaches. Lot of ignorance baked into many of those opinions methinks. (not saying it's out of bounds to have an opinion on a coach, just that the collective strength of opinions on coaches in general seems to be way too high)
Probably makes sense not to hire a friend, considering most coaches get fired eventually. That would be awkward.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Probably makes sense not to hire a friend, considering most coaches get fired eventually. That would be awkward.

Yep, that's what was hinted at. I can see the counter-argument coming from some people, but I'm not getting into the middle of this one. Too much I (we all) don't know, like I mentioned above. Hopefully Stevie makes the right decision, and that's pretty much my whole opinion on this for now :towel:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
So we're getting Gallant then?

He was Stevie's linemate, and obviously familiar with the Detroit area.

That’s been my assumption for a while now.

I’m guessing Gallant wanted to take the year off, and Yzerman figured it would make more sense to keep Blashill one more year opposed to hiring an interim guy for a season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
1st Rd. Pick - Coach - UFA all need to have one thing in common, be Men of action.

upload_2021-3-14_21-58-5.png

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Might also blind a GM a bit about how good of a job a coach is doing. Not hiring a close friend shields a GM from having his feelings involved in all sorts of ways that is probably for the best. Hell, it might be better to hire a guy you don't like a bit.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
First Round: Hughes, Powers, or Eklund

Coach: Brind'Amour, Rickard Gronborg, Igor Larionov, Roger Ronnberg, or Mike Yeo

FA: Alex Iafallo, Kyle Palmieri, Scott Laughton (Dreams: Gabriel Landeskog, Zach Hyman, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, or Brandon Saad- but I don't see us spending $7m a year for 7 years yet.)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
1. Power or Hughes
2. Coach: I would prefer someone other than Blashill. Montgomery would probably be my first pick. If we bring back Blash, I take it as a sign that Yzerman has a strong desire to actually bring Cooper to Detroit when his contract is up. If he doesn't bring back Blash, Hakstol is my dark-horse prediction for our next head coach.
3. Janmark or Granlund if you put a gun to my head. I am not wild about this UFA market.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
First Round: Hughes, Powers, or Eklund

Coach: Brind'Amour, Rickard Gronborg, Igor Larionov, Roger Ronnberg, or Mike Yeo

FA: Alex Iafallo, Kyle Palmieri, Scott Laughton (Dreams: Gabriel Landeskog, Zach Hyman, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, or Brandon Saad- but I don't see us spending $7m a year for 7 years yet.)
The swedish Babcock no thanks, Frolunda's massively underperformed this year he has a very restrictive system. Big fan of Gronborg tho, and your three picks are spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad