Speculation: Your 2016 Lightning offseason predictions

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
What are your Lightning off season predictions?

1. The Lightning shock the hockey world and sign Stamkos at 10 million dollar per year cap hit for 8 years.

2. The Lightning bridge kucherov for a 3 year 4.7 per year deal.

3. The Lightning trade Jason garrison for a 2016 draft pick and prospect.

4. Tampa trades condra and a 7th round draft pick for a 2017 5th round draft pick

5. Tampa buys out the contract of Matt carle.

6. Tampa bay trades Alex Killorn and nesterov for a rhd.

7. Tampa gets great offers for Ben bishop but does not trade him.

8. Tampa extends hedman in August for a 8 year contract.

9. Tampa drafts a goalie with one of there two
Second round draft picks.

Not a chance.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
5.8 cap to a 7.5 cap hit you do understand we need every dollar for this year and next

We let Stamkos walk and we are ok this year. Nash fills Stamkos' goalie scoring. The following year we trade Filpulla and Garrison to free up necessary capspace if we resign Bishop. We aren't straddled with an albatross contract for 4 years with this deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What are your Lightning off season predictions?

1. The Lightning shock the hockey world and sign Stamkos at 10 million dollar per year cap hit for 8 years.

2. The Lightning bridge kucherov for a 3 year 4.7 per year deal.

3. The Lightning trade Jason garrison for a 2016 draft pick and prospect.

4. Tampa trades condra and a 7th round draft pick for a 2017 5th round draft pick

5. Tampa buys out the contract of Matt carle.

6. Tampa bay trades Alex Killorn and nesterov for a rhd.

7. Tampa gets great offers for Ben bishop but does not trade him.

8. Tampa extends hedman in August for a 8 year contract.

9. Tampa drafts a goalie with one of there two
Second round draft picks.

Doubt that Yzerman could afford to give Stamkos $10 million without buying out Carle and without trading both Bishop and Filppula plus give big money to Kucherov and giving big money to Hedman next year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I bet Nash would be pretty good with Stamkos and Drouin as linemates.

It's almost impossible for that to be realistic. There's no way to keep Stamkos to begin with let alone keep him and bringing in Nash. I would run these lines if he came in.

Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov
Nash-Namestnikov-Drouin
Palat-Filpulla-Brown
Paquette-Boyle-Richard

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Filppula's going to be next to immovable now that he will require protection in the expansion draft. We're probably going to end up having to buy him out, which could mean that Carle hangs around a while longer to avoid putting too much dead money on the books.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Filppula's going to be next to immovable now that he will require protection in the expansion draft. We're probably going to end up having to buy him out, which could mean that Carle hangs around a while longer to avoid putting too much dead money on the books.

You can ask a player to waive his NTC or NMC to be exposed. I'd ask both Filpulla and Callahan to. I'd also expose Hedman and protect Koekkoek, Stralman and Sustr.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You really risk that?

What's the risk? If he knows our offer and wants to be here he'll come back. If he wants to be like Stamkos and test the UFA market then it's a nobrainer. There's more reward, protecting another player, than risks, him actually signing with an expansion team.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
What's the risk? If he knows our offer and wants to be here he'll come back. If he wants to be like Stamkos and test the UFA market then it's a nobrainer. There's more reward, protecting another player, than risks, him actually signing with an expansion team.

It's hard to imagine Yzerman letting Hedman get to this point without an extension (which can be agreed to as soon as July 1), which will almost surely have a no-movement clause from the get-go.

Even if he did, snowball's chance in hell Victor Hedman is being exposed for the sake of protecting Andrej Sustr.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
He's a UFA a week later, let them draft him all they get is a week to talk to him which we will be being for the next year. He becomes a free agent July 1st and we sign him back.

We'd also lose the ability to sign him to an eight-year contract. That's a rather significant loss both in terms of our ability to give him a competitive offer and in losing a year of his services. We won't play that game with Hedman.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
You can ask a player to waive his NTC or NMC to be exposed. I'd ask both Filpulla and Callahan to.

We can certainly ask them but I'd be shocked if either agreed. For Callahan the NMC we gave him was a major reason for him signing here in the first place, and both will still be receiving plenty of playing time. I can't imagine why either would want to uproot his family and move to the desert to play for an expansion team when they can stay in Tampa playing for a contender.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We'd also lose the ability to sign him to an eight-year contract. That's a rather significant loss both in terms of our ability to give him a competitive offer and in losing a year of his services. We won't play that game with Hedman.

Agree. We sign him soon I think. Possibly even this summer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

No you would not if hedman signs with the Lightning he can be signed for 8 years all other offers only 7 years. But by mid season hedman will be signed I don't see him taking the Stamkos road.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We can certainly ask them but I'd be shocked if either agreed. For Callahan the NMC we gave him was a major reason for him signing here in the first place, and both will still be receiving plenty of playing time. I can't imagine why either would want to uproot his family and move to the desert to play for an expansion team when they can stay in Tampa playing for a contender.

You tell them you're going to buy them out or trade them, I'm pretty sure Filpulla will be a limited NTC so he has to hand in a list if asked, if they're on the roster July 1st.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah if we let Hedman reach that point of potentially becoming a UFA then Yzerman has failed spectacularly.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's hard to imagine Yzerman letting Hedman get to this point without an extension (which can be agreed to as soon as July 1), which will almost surely have a no-movement clause from the get-go.

Even if he did, snowball's chance in hell Victor Hedman is being exposed for the sake of protecting Andrej Sustr.

I agree they sign him this summer or at least before the All Star game and like tjs said the 8th year is important but Yzerman never has given out a deal that long.

If Sustr has another strong year establishing himself as a legit top 4 defender what do we do? He's 4 years younger and might be able to get signed cheaper than Stralman. Stralman will be a UFA in 2 years and will be 31 at the start of the 2018 season. He also sucked this postseason so he needs to have a good regular season for me to consider keeping him.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
No you would not if hedman signs with the Lightning he can be signed for 8 years all other offers only 7 years. But by mid season hedman will be signed I don't see him taking the Stamkos road.

As I understand it to resign a player for eight years the team a) must have his rights, and b) must have had the player as of the trade deadline the previous season. If the expansion team picks up the rights to an impending UFA then no team will meet both criteria and therefore nobody will be able to sign him for eight years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad