Line Combos: Your 2016/2017 TML

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Marlies. There's only so much room for rookies/younger players. Greening, Laich, Michalek, Hunwick are all off the books after 16-17 so there's spots for them to take.

All 3 would need to pass through waivers and thus would be claimed by another team. They wouldn't make the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm pretty sure Loov doesn't need to go through waivers. He has one more year I believe.

And also, plenty of solid young players go through waivers unclaimed every year. Percy and Harrington are decent defenders but teams have those kind of defenders normally laying around. I think Percy has a good chance of being claimed simply because of his impressive NHL stints here and there, but I don't see much interest in Harrington.

Even if they both get claimed, it's not a big deal. They are not huge components for us moving forward. They are solid and cheap depth defenders with fairly minimal upside I would say. I just hope the Leafs give them a good shot to prove themselves or find them a new home this summer while they may have some form of value.

cdmcln

Mar 28, 2015
All 3 would need to pass through waivers and thus would be claimed by another team. They wouldn't make the Marlies.

Oops, didn't realize that. I guess they all are RFAs, that makes sense. Toss them in my lineup then! Thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
My ideal lineup. Basically just staying the course (And win Matthews)

Komarov-Kadri-Nylander
JVR-Matthews-Soshnikov
Brown-Bozak-Parenteau
Michalek-Laich-Hyman
Leivo

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Harrington-Corrado

Bernier-Hutchinson

Notes:

Nylander starts off on wing.(Until Bozak trade). If centre gets injured Replace them with nylander

Put Froese on waivers (Send Him Down)

Marner sent back to London, Playing centre all year. (Or possibly Going to Europe to Play pro for a year)

Trades:

Rights to Holland for Calgary 4th

Rights to Hutchinson for Rights to Percy + Toronto 5th/6th round pick

Leafs draft:

Matthews,Fabbro,Hart,Mete with first 4 picks

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr stamkos nylander
matthews bozak marner
komorov kadri brown
shoshnikov laich hyman

rielly demers
gardiner zaitsev
hunwick carrick

bernie
sparky

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I don't see any of these 3 making the big club. They will be either part of a trade or more realistically put on waivers if any of them are out of options
I feel like the smart thing to do is to give our young guys that are waiver-eligible as much time as we can playing in the NHL to see if they can become players or not.

One if the advantages of not needing to win right now is to feed our young guys minutes and opportunities and see what they do with them, even if they hit a rough patch. Give it a few months and then re-evaluate. Some guys don't figure it out as fast as others.

I'm hoping Lou sees it that way too.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Lupul + M. Michalek + Percy to Arizona for the rights to Plotnikov (we non tender, he goes back to Russia) and a 5th round pick.

Do not resign Parentau or Grabner but keep Laich until deadline.

Trade Holland's rights to New Jersey in compensation for hiring LL. If that is not allowed, then Holland + TOR 3rd to NJ for other picks.

Marner will be tough to place given we can send him back to Juniors. Maybe this is for the best, but it depends on how his summer training goes.

ASSUMING WE DO NOT SIGN STAMKOS AND WE MIRACULOUSLY GET TO DRAFT MATTHEWS

JVR - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Matthews - Soshnikov
Leivo - Bozak - Brown
Greening - Laich - Hyman

Reilly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Marincin
Loov - Zaitsev (will move up once more acclimated)
extra: C. Carrick

Bernier
Sparks

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Lupul + M. Michalek + Percy to Arizona for the rights to Plotnikov (we non tender, he goes back to Russia) and a 5th round pick.

Do not resign Parentau or Grabner but keep Laich until deadline.

Trade Holland's rights to New Jersey in compensation for hiring LL. If that is not allowed, then Holland + TOR 3rd to NJ for other picks.

Marner will be tough to place given we can send him back to Juniors. Maybe this is for the best, but it depends on how his summer training goes.

ASSUMING WE DO NOT SIGN STAMKOS AND WE MIRACULOUSLY GET TO DRAFT MATTHEWS

JVR - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Matthews - Soshnikov
Leivo - Bozak - Brown
Greening - Laich - Hyman

Reilly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Marincin
Loov - Zaitsev (will move up once more acclimated)
extra: C. Carrick

Bernier
Sparks

Dont see why Arizona does this. MAYBE if we take pronger back.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Dont see why Arizona does this. MAYBE if we take pronger back.

Arizona does this for a few reasons.

A. Michalek unites as brothers and gives them another trade chip at the deadline.

B. Lupul takes up salary and could potentially score some goals on that team as he will be given more ice time.

C. They get a young d-man that has good potential to be a solid #4.

All of this for a contract dump and a mid pick. They also need to take on salary, and Lupul can be exposed during the expansion draft to protect some of their more core players. Seems like a good deal to me.

maplejays62

Dec 19, 2008
I feel like the smart thing to do is to give our young guys that are waiver-eligible as much time as we can playing in the NHL to see if they can become players or not.

One if the advantages of not needing to win right now is to feed our young guys minutes and opportunities and see what they do with them, even if they hit a rough patch. Give it a few months and then re-evaluate. Some guys don't figure it out as fast as others.

I'm hoping Lou sees it that way too.

I agree with you but there are only so many spots available. Leivo, Percy and Harrington would have to the minds of the coaching staff. I see Brown, C. Carrick and Corrado making the team before these 3.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
JVR-Kadri-Nylander
Komorov-Backes-Marner
Hyman-Bozak-Soshnikov
Greening-Laich-Brown

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner-Carrick
Marincin-Zaitsev

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I agree with you but there are only so many spots available. Leivo, Percy and Harrington would have to the minds of the coaching staff. I see Brown, C. Carrick and Corrado making the team before these 3.
Since Connor Brown can go up and down freely without waivers, here's what I'd do.

Let's say he has a grest camp. Send him down and tell him that Leivo needs a chance first. Tell him he's the first injury call up. Tell him he's for sure getting called up by Christmas or the trade deadline (unless his game falls off a cliff).

When the time comes, hopefully Leivo looks good and you can trade an upcoming UFA (Michalek Greening Laich) instead to keep both young guys. Or by that time Leivo looks good and he himself has trade value and gets shipped out to make room. Or Leivo looks bad and you waive him to give Brown a spot but at least he got his chance.

Strictly speaking in the short term here (October to December), I hope they send down every guy that doesn't need waivers except for Nylander. Bring up kids when injuries happen. The folllowing roster is 24 guys (one injury or one guy ends up on waivers).

Bozak Kadri JVR Komarov Lupul
Michalek Holland Greening Laich Froese
#11 - Nylander (doesn't need waivers)
#12 - Leivo
#13 - S. Carrick
#14 - C. Smith

Rielly Gardiner Hunwick Marincin
#5 - Percy
#6 - C. Carrick
#7 - Corrado
#8 - Harrington

Bernier (goalie#2)

Injury call ups (in order)
-Connor Brown
-Brendan Leipsic
-Viktor Loov (D)
-Garret Sparks (GK)
-Soshnikov
-Leipsic
-Hyman
-Kapanen
-Bibeau (GK)
-Valiev (D)
-Gauthier

If we want to also sign a UFA frward (Stamkos/Backes/etc) we can always move Holland or Percy for a pick. If we're lucky we could move an older guy like Michalek or Laich instead and keep our younger guys.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Since Connor Brown can go up and down freely without waivers, here's what I'd do.

Let's say he has a grest camp. Send him down and tell him that Leivo needs a chance first. Tell him he's the first injury call up. Tell him he's for sure getting called up by Christmas or the trade deadline (unless his game falls off a cliff).

When the time comes, hopefully Leivo looks good and you can trade an upcoming UFA (Michalek Greening Laich) instead to keep both young guys. Or by that time Leivo looks good and he himself has trade value and gets shipped out to make room. Or Leivo looks bad and you waive him to give Brown a spot but at least he got his chance.

Strictly speaking in the short term here (October to December), I hope they send down every guy that doesn't need waivers except for Nylander. Bring up kids when injuries happen. The folllowing roster is 24 guys (one injury or one guy ends up on waivers).

Bozak Kadri JVR Komarov Lupul
Michalek Holland Greening Laich Froese gone
#11 - Nylander (doesn't need waivers)
#12 - Leivo
#13 - S. Carrick gone
#14 - C. Smith gone
Marner added in

Rielly Gardiner Hunwick Marincin
#5 - Percy
#6 - C. Carrick slotted above Percy as # 5
#7 - Corrado
#8 - Harrington
Zaitsev is a very good bet to be added in
Have a competition between Percy, Corrado, Harrington for 1 or 2 spots. Worse 1 or 2 guys get waived or traded for a late pick

Bernier (goalie#2)

Injury call ups (in order)
-Connor Brown
-Brendan Leipsic
-Viktor Loov (D)
-Garret Sparks (GK)
-Soshnikov
-Leipsic
-Hyman
-Kapanen
-Bibeau (GK)
-Valiev (D)
-Gauthier

If we want to also sign a UFA frward (Stamkos/Backes/etc) we can always move Holland or Percy for a pick. If we're lucky we could move an older guy like Michalek or Laich instead and keep our younger guys.

Comments in bold.

I generally agree that 2-way eligible guys should be sent down to start because it's a tool to add more depth to the organization. With injuries (all of Laich, Michalek, Lupul are injure prone) there will be good opportunities for callups and we'll also be sellers again next deadline.

I really don't see Froese, Carrick and Smith on the team. Maybe 1 but even that is doubtful.

Marner has nothing more to learn at the junior level and at this point he needs new challenges to help his development.

The bottom of the D group will sort itself out in camp. Whoever doesn't make the cut between Percy, Harrington, Corrado won't be a big loss just like Granberg wasn't.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
im hoping something like,

jvr matthews stamkos
sosh kadri leo
nylander bozak brown/hyman/marner

rielly hunwick
gardiner zaitsev
marincin carrick

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
-Trade Peter Holland (RFA) to the Boston Bruins for Colin Miller (RFA)
-Draft Patrik Laine, Charlie McAvoy and Carter Hart
-Buyout Joffrey Lupul and Jared Cowen

-Resign Nazem Kadri three-year contract for $15 million
-Resign Morgan Rielly six-year contract for $31.2 million
-Resign Connor Carrick one-year contract for $700,000
-Resign Frank Corrado one-year contract for $700,000
-Resign Colin Miller one-year contract for $900,000
-Resign Martin Marincin two-year contract for $2.2 million
-Resign Josh Leivo, Colin Smith, Sam Carrick, Scott Harrington and Rich Clune

-Sign Nikita Zaitsev one-year ELC
-Sign Jimmy Vesey three-year ELC
-Sign Steven Stamkos seven-year contract for $66.5 million
-Sign Antti Raanta two-year contract for $2 million

2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs

James van Riemsdyk - Steven Stamkos - William Nylander
Jimmy Vesey - Nazem Kadri - Leo Komarov
Milan Michalek - Tyler Bozak - Zach Hyman
Colin Greening - Brooks Laich - Nikita Soshnikov/Conner Brown
Byron Froese

Morgan Rielly - Martin Marincin
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev
Matt Hunwick - Connor Carrick/Colin Miller

Jonathan Bernier
Antti Raanta

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
JVR Stamkos Michalek
Kapinen Nylander Hyman
Sosh Dvorak Marner
Komarov Gautier Laich (Captain)

Bozak, Kadri traded for picks, prospects or a defencemen. First overall traded to Arizona for Dvorak and there first rounder in 2016 drafting a defencemen. If the leafs don't get the first overall pick then one of Bozak or Kadri replaces Dvorak.

Am I dreaming here?

stamkos might sign. in which case:

jvr-stamkos-pul
johnson-nylander-pap
soshnikov-kadri/bozak-brown (one of c is gone)
greening-komorov-camensari

rielly-zaitsev
gardiner-carrick
loov-marincin

horner

May 22, 2007
Jvr. Bozak. Parenteau
Lucic Nylander Sosh
Leo. Holland Puljujarvi
Greening. Laich hyman
Marner

Mo Hunwick
Jake. Zaitsev
Marincin. C. Carrick
Loov

Bernier ?

Levio - Babs mentioned that he has to pick up his fitness level. If he does could be in the line-up

Brown - will be up when Lou can make a trade.

Traded :
Kadri - I think will ask for to much money
Michalek maybe eat 1.5 mil for a 4th Rd pk

Brought along slowly :
Marner, Sosh and Puljujarvi

Lucic : Babs mentioned that Lou will find a big tough PFW. I think he is worth the money to protect or young kids and give them room to play. And in a couple three yrs there will be an expansion draft.

Draft
Crossing my fingers for Mathews

Stamkos because of his latest set back. I think he will sign with TB because he wants to finish what he started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad