Your 2014 United States men’s Olympic roster

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh please. It goes much further than point totals. Brown has been invisible all year. He's been a non impact player. Ryan is. Ryan is a big body, will go to the net, is strong, and has tons of skill. He'd have easily been the 2nd line RW to me on a US team behind Kessel.

You can't argue that Brown has been better than Ryan. He hasn't. And it's abundantly clear. Brown was taken for his reputation and leadership when neither should warrant a spot on an Olympic team. Ryan is outplaying Brown in so many ways.

Brown was also taken to play on the third or fourth line. Bobby Ryan can't play on the third or fourth line, it's as simple as that. Brown is going to play hard, he will be an impact player with whatever playing time he gets.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Because Brown has been bad this year. Look, I get that Brown is a leader and plays hard but the Olympics are a very short tournament. In something like that, you take the best players CURRENTLY. Brown has not played well at all this year while Ryan has been a bright spot on a struggling team and a consistent 30 goal scorer. The US doesn't lack leaders. Parise or Suter easily make great captains. I just don't think Brown deserves his spot because of his play this year.

So by your thinking maybe we should take guys just on point production this season or is playing well? Browns scoring is off but he does things other forwards can't and has proven he can play in big games. You don't throw that out because he's having an off season. Ryan's faults were outlined pretty clearly, and quite frankly...spot on.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I feel bad for Jack - everyone knows how much this meant to him.

He should have been better the entire season, his play has picked up in December but he was awful in November. It's to bad because he was a real positive in Vancouver in 2010, but right now he has been passed up by a few guys.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I feel bad for Jack - everyone knows how much this meant to him.

how can you feel bad for him? Hes like the 40th best american dman. Realistically he should have known he had no shot. You cant coast in draft pick reputation forever

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Brooks Orpik on Olympic ice??????? Yikes!

Orpik isn't too bad a skater, and he'll be a shutdown D if he plays.

Anyone who says Yandle should be on the team is crazy. Sure he can score points, but you're always covering for him and you can't do that on this stage.

Ryan is the only snub to me. Should have made it over Wheeler. But he was not on the top 6 and if he's selected that's where he needs to go. If a selected player gets hurt in the meantime before the Olympics he can be picked up right?

KingKopitar11*

No wonder DL isn't making any trades yet. He's too busy making charts and graphs for team USA :D:laugh:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Orpik isn't too bad a skater, and he'll be a shutdown D if he plays.

Anyone who says Yandle should be on the team is crazy. Sure he can score points, but you're always covering for him and you can't do that on this stage.

Ryan is the only snub to me. Should have made it over Wheeler. But he was not on the top 6 and if he's selected that's where he needs to go. If a selected player gets hurt in the meantime before the Olympics he can be picked up right?

Yes.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
how can you feel bad for him? Hes like the 40th best american dman. Realistically he should have known he had no shot. You cant coast in draft pick reputation forever

Yeah he totally coasted on draft pick selection when he was excellent in the last Olympics.

He is having a poor season and didn't deserve to go at this point, but your comments are laughable. Apparently you didn't watch a lick of the Vancouver games.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I have no doubt he would have elevated his game, but his play so far this season hasn't been Sochi caliber.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No wonder DL isn't making any trades yet. He's too busy making charts and graphs for team USA :D:laugh:

Ya, he seemed to take a lot of good natured ribbing from other members for his extensive scouting briefs, especially with Yandle. I think the group made some very valid points on why or why not guys made the team. We'll see if it leads to gold.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I have no doubt he would have elevated his game, but his play so far this season hasn't been Sochi caliber.

Exactly. Which is why I think Ryan deserves a spot on the team over him. But since this is the Kings board, I'll be ostracized for having an opinion that strays from the masses.

ManiacMatty

Mar 3, 2011
Fresno, CA
Parise Kesler Kane
JVR Pavelski Kessel
Brown Backes Oshie
Wheeler Stastny Callahan

Suter Shattenkirk
McDonagh Carlson
Oprik Martin
Quick

Golden? :sarcasm:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Do you guys really believe Quick should be the starter over Miller? I realize I'm biased here, but with how Quick has struggled this year while Jones and Scrivens have played phenomenal, coupled with Miller's great season, I don't think I'd want him as the #1.

I get that posting this is probably asking for flames and such, but as an American, I want the player that's going to give my country the best chance to win. Miller did that in Vancouver and he's playing up to that standard so far this year. Haven't seen that this season from Quick yet, and perhaps it will be decided in the next month on how he comes back from injury and such.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Do you guys really believe Quick should be the starter over Miller? I realize I'm biased here, but with how Quick has struggled this year while Jones and Scrivens have played phenomenal, coupled with Miller's great season, I don't think I'd want him as the #1.

I get that posting this is probably asking for flames and such, but as an American, I want the player that's going to give my country the best chance to win. Miller did that in Vancouver and he's playing up to that standard so far this year. Haven't seen that this season from Quick yet, and perhaps it will be decided in the next month on how he comes back from injury and such.

Quick hasn't struggled this season. The Kings special teams were awful early in the season which really hurt Quick's numbers. The PK was nowhere to be found. His 5v5 stats were fine and just before he got hurt, the Kings were starting to pick it up on the PK as well.

I think he'll be fine, but ultimately it's going to be him or Miller once the tournament actually gets going and we'll see who is on their game.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Quick played better in the 2012 playoffs than Miller ever has in his career (which was the 2010 Olympics).

I think they know to beat Canada they are going to need an epic goaltending performance, and I think the GM's and coaching staff feel like Quick can deliver that better than Miller can, that is what I gathered reading Burnside's great article.

Not really his fault on this one, but Miller has played 13 playoff games in five years, and not past the second round since 07. Again not his fault, but that is a factor, especially when you consider how great Quick has been in big games.

BTW, from reading the article it came down to JJ vs. Fowler and Fowler won 6-3. Boy, these guys other than DL must really not like something about Yandle's game. I assume if there is an injury JJ would be the next man up, amazing that the 40th best US d-man (according to someone) came so close to a spot.

Also looks like Wheeler/Oshie beat out Ryan and Patches beat out Saad. I personally think Saad and Patches were good enough, but they wanted the extra center. Hopefully we can stop comparing Saad to Clifford now.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Leaving Ryan off makes sense. Hes a top 6 or bust guy who isn't great on the PP. He can play LW or RW but has played LW most of his career. Parise, JVR, and Pacioretty are more versatile on the left side while Kane and Kessel will be the top 2 RW.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Quick played better in the 2012 playoffs than Miller ever has in his career (which was the 2010 Olympics).

I think they know to beat Canada they are going to need an epic goaltending performance, and I think the GM's and coaching staff feel like Quick can deliver that better than Miller can, that is what I gathered reading Burnside's great article.

Not really his fault on this one, but Miller has played 13 playoff games in five years, and not past the second round since 07. Again not his fault, but that is a factor, especially when you consider how great Quick has been in big games.

BTW, from reading the article it came down to JJ vs. Fowler and Fowler won 6-3. Boy, these guys other than DL must really not like something about Yandle's game. I assume if there is an injury JJ would be the next man up, amazing that the 40th best US d-man (according to someone) came so close to a spot.

Also looks like Wheeler/Oshie beat out Ryan and Patches beat out Saad. I personally think Saad and Patches were good enough, but they wanted the extra center. Hopefully we can stop comparing Saad to Clifford now.

It's like you said with Quick. They probably believed Jack Johnson had what they wanted for a tournament, not necessarily what you'd want for the season he's had, if that makes sense. Jack's a competitive guy and very talented, but hasn't been playing up to it lately.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You said it yourself and this is a standing warning for visitors from other boards since some of the more hotly-contested debates elsewhere have involved Brown and Quick especially--this is a Kings board and you may not like what you see. Debate is free and encouraged but it's not a neutral site.

That being said, Quick is being sold incredibly short. Everyone is using the narrow lens of the start of this season and his recovery from injury last season without recognizing how dominant he was in the playoffs. If Quick can play to that level, he should be the starter, but that's obviously a big question mark that needs to be answered in the coming weeks. Miller may be 'safer' and I'm not going to sell short his accomplishments as he's been fantastic especially in the last Olympics. I felt even as good as Quick was that it was Miller's job to lose. But you know, in "what have you done for me lately" land, no one even started getting fired up about Miller until his recent hot streak while Quick has been out.

I think it's really going to be a tournament-time decision, and probably a tough one either way. All things being equal, I think both guys get a chance at starts early in the tourney and get to play their way into a spot, but if they can't get a clear winner, I think they'd defer to Miller--though I'm more than happy with either guy.

Finally, just as an aside--the Olympics is more like the playoffs than the regular season. I could give two ***** what happens the rest of the year if one guy proves he's amazing in the clutch. Quick has done that and I'm sure Team USA has noticed.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Part of me was wondering if Brown missing the cut would light a fire in his ass. Hopefully playing in Sochi can do the same.

Regarding Quick/Miller, I am guessing they both get a game and then the coaching staff will pick one to ride with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad