Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic - Canucks def. Oilers - 5-2

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Not really complaining considering how awful the Oiler fans have treated us. Plus really only the RNH was really poor.

Yeah, my sympathy isn't very developed when it comes to the Oilers. I think that RNH may end up being a very solid player. He reminds me a lot of Daniel Sedin actually ... if Daniel played center and didn't have a twin.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah, my sympathy isn't very developed when it comes to the Oilers. I think that RNH may end up being a very solid player. He reminds me a lot of Daniel Sedin actually ... if Daniel played center and didn't have a twin.

RNH will be a good #1C when he gets big enough and healthy enough. The Oilers problems aren't because of RNH himself.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Thought RNH was a good pick, just rushed. Look at that body, why would anyone play him in the NHL with that body at that age.

No kidding. People who think Shinkaruk is too small/light to ever play in the NHL someday should consider how well RNH did with basically a pencil's body his first year ...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I don't.

Those drafts have been just fine. They can't do anything outside the first round.

And then this year they go and try and pretend they're smart by trading down in the 2nd with Zykov on the board. I thought that was stupid. He's exactly what they're looking for (skill with grit and size).

I think Klefbom will be good but not nearly as soon as they were projecting, same with Nurse although he could go either way.

They've tried too hard to draft grit outside the 1st and its Hirt them. No grit and now a big lack of skill.

Wonder how development plays a part in this (re: in regards to later round picks - where you pick maybe talent prospects - but guys that need alot of work)? Can't really think "upper management" inspires alot of confidence (re: several years ago, Lowe dropped the ball & had *NO AHL club affiliate* causing their AHL eligible players spread out over a number of clubs where they had zero say on their icetime).

Whatever one may think of Feaster - he sure as heck ain't no Kevin Lowe....

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Don't have time to check cuz the service is terrible in the arena,but Jensen was really fighting the puck today..had some good chances displaying his great shot,and speed...really for the whole weekend his puck control has been lagging behind his overall game...that was the biggest concern for me...

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Wonder how development plays a part in this (re: in regards to later round picks - where you pick maybe talent prospects - but guys that need alot of work)? Can't really think "upper management" inspires alot of confidence (re: several years ago, Lowe dropped the ball & had *NO AHL club affiliate* causing their AHL eligible players spread out over a number of clubs where they had zero say on their icetime).

Whatever one may think of Feaster - he sure as heck ain't no Kevin Lowe....
There's that, and also the fact that they rebuilt their forward group AND then started drafting a defensive group. Successful rebuilds (CHI, PIT) have had young/veteran defense-men ready at the same time they were picking up forwards first overall.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
No kidding. People who think Shinkaruk is too small/light to ever play in the NHL someday should consider how well RNH did with basically a pencil's body his first year ...

RNH is the same size as some of the Bantam Draft guys are these days.

Barzal, Soy and Benson are all around RNH's size, and they're 15,16. :laugh:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There's that, and also the fact that they rebuilt their forward group AND then started drafting a defensive group. Successful rebuilds (CHI, PIT) have had young/veteran defense-men ready at the same time they were picking up forwards first overall.

Kevin Lowe is a winner, he is just doing a winner's rebuild.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

RNH had NHL ready skills and it ended in a surgically repaired shoulder.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

When the Canucks start their rebuild they will already have Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Corrado, Tanev etc and still have Edler. Add to that the returns from trading vets and you have a strong base to add the rebuild draft kids to, sadly for the Oilers rebuild kids that strong base just wasn't there, too much to ask of young players to be the rebuild, the stars and the core.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

That's because he doesn't protect himself better; or avoid situations where he could get hurt (though I think that shoulder injury was a result of a freak accident).

arsmaster*

That's because he doesn't protect himself better; or avoid situations where he could get hurt (though I think that shoulder injury was a result of a freak accident).

Yup, tripped over the blueline and sent himself into the boards, although I want to believe Victor Oreskovich contributed to it in some way.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Have you seen how he rushes the net? The kid tries to play like Kesler, barrelling through like a bat out of hell. In order to play that style, you need to shield yourself properly and as Barney mentioned, RNH often neglects to do so. He will adjust given time, but the injury is less to do with size and simply his overly aggressive style.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Blame the oilers for rushing him, he was 2 small for the nhl and now is crippled because of it

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Have you seen how he rushes the net? The kid tries to play like Kesler, barrelling through like a bat out of hell. In order to play that style, you need to shield yourself properly and as Barney mentioned, RNH often neglects to do so. He will adjust given time, but the injury is less to do with size and simply his overly aggressive style.

Size (or at least physical development) does matter if you are going to go to the dirty areas or take punishment. Either sent the prospect back to allow him to develop physically or get him to change his game, don't send him out on suicide missions.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Size (or at least physical development) does matter if you are going to go to the dirty areas or take punishment. Either sent the prospect back to allow him to develop physically or get him to change his game, don't send him out on suicide missions.

Agreed. Textbook example of a guy who was rushed before he was physically ready for the show.

arsmaster*

Agreed. Textbook example of a guy who was rushed before he was physically ready for the show.

I'm still having a hard time following this logic from our fan base considering he scored 52 points in 62 games as a rookie.

To me that shows he was ready. The issue is they played the 3 kids together and had no protection for him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm still having a hard time following this logic from our fan base considering he scored 52 points in 62 games as a rookie.

To me that shows he was ready. The issue is they played the 3 kids together and had no protection for him.

Skills wise he was ready, until he broke.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
When the Canucks start their rebuild they will already have Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Corrado, Tanev etc and still have Edler. Add to that the returns from trading vets and you have a strong base to add the rebuild draft kids to, sadly for the Oilers rebuild kids that strong base just wasn't there, too much to ask of young players to be the rebuild, the stars and the core.
If they even have to. Depending on the shelf-life of the vets and how the coach handles things, it's entirely possible they could just keep going, dropping in youth on the fly. Maybe the bottom falls out eventually, but the franchise hasn't had an extended playoff drought since the Sedins were drafted.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Oh I know but the fact that he played - and fairly well - shows that you can get away with being a 'lighter' player if you have the skating, elusiveness, and vision to play a low-contact game. Now Shinkaruk already has 10-15 lbs on RNH and many of the same qualities (agile, vision) yet some people still think he's too small/weak to make the NHL someday. Doesn't make sense ...

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

He wasn't physically ready. Extremely talented and was productive but he can't play his game at the NHL consistently without taking a beating and he wasn't ready for that physically. While it won't ruin his career, he may have recurring issues with his shoulder in the future, which can't be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad