Young Malkin VS Matthews

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Malkin
Stamkos

Probably Barzal and Rantanen after this season too. How can you label a guy barely over PPG in his first two seasons in the Yzerman/Sakic tier? He’s also seemingly already injury prone, but in your opinion he “projects well” into that tier?

I meant after their age 19 season. Stamkos was not definitely better.

Why you cannot put raw points and raw PPGs into context is beyond me.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Young Malkin? Matthews is currently getting injured as much as late-twenties Malkin.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I meant after their age 19 season. Stamkos was not definitely better.

Why you cannot put raw points and raw PPGs into context is beyond me.

You did put Ovechkin up there who played his first season at age 20, that’s on you. After their 2nd season Stamkos was definitely better than Matthews was at the start of this season.

Well, by your logic there is a ton of players who could be in the Sakic/Yzerman tier of players who are playing right now. Matthews is a great young goalscorer, but a pretty average playmaker.

I gotta ask: When did you jump on the Matthews hype train?

Reactions: Casanova

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Malkin
Stamkos

Probably Barzal and Rantanen after this season too. How can you label a guy barely over PPG in his first two seasons in the Yzerman/Sakic tier? He’s also seemingly already injury prone, but in your opinion he “projects well” into that tier?

Rantanen, yes. Barzal, definitely not.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Why wouldn’t he? Guy had 85 pts as a rookie and is riding at a PPG right now to start the season.

Matthews has the same goals as Barzal's points, and it's probably gonna take another 2 weeks for Barzal to reach the points Matthews has now... And he might only have 3 goals by that time.

Matthews >>>>> Barzal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Matthews has the same goals as Barzal's points, and it's probably gonna take another 2 weeks for Barzal to reach the points Matthews has now... And he might only have 3 goals by that time.

Matthews >>>>> Barzal.

based on 11 games? LOL that's why Matthew fans get mocked so often.

Not according to their rookie seasons, Barzal has already passed 80 points in which Matthews will fail to do for the 3rd straight year.

Barzal >>> Matthews and Tavares, sorry his injury(s) stop him from breaking that generational 70 point mark.

Reactions: Frosty415

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Matthews looks like he's going to put up less than 70 points in each of his first 3 seasons. Let's pump the brakes on comparing him to a legit generational talent like Malkin.

Matthews fans get offended when compared to Barzal who posted the same rookie season as Malkin and surpassed a point total Matthews has failed to do in 3 years.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017

Matthews >>>>> Barzal.

Lets not forget that Barzal had 16 more pts than Matthews during their rookie campaigns. Yeah, never mind you probably forgot it. Basing the comparison on 10 games is quite funny

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
When i Matthews was coming in the league, i thought he was or would be the second coming of Malkin. But i don't think Matthews will reach Malkin's potential .

What are your thoughts

I haven't seen any evidence at all that Matthews has the vision of Malkin, the ability to distribute the puck that Malkin has or the strength to play the power game that Malkin has.

I don't really see the comparison at all. Malkin is on another level, skill wise, than Auston Matthews, and that takes nothing away from Matthews, it's just that Malkin has an incredible combination of tools in his toolbox.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You did put Ovechkin up there who played his first season at age 20, that’s on you. After their 2nd season Stamkos was definitely better than Matthews was at the start of this season.

Well, by your logic there is a ton of players who could be in the Sakic/Yzerman tier of players who are playing right now. Matthews is a great young goalscorer, but a pretty average playmaker.

I gotta ask: When did you jump on the Matthews hype train?

It is commonly understood that if a player plays in the year he was drafted it is their "18 year old season" therefore OV played in his 19 year old season (or draft plus one) and did enough to put him above what Matthews did in his 18 and 19 year old seasons.

I was pointing out that Matthews measures up pretty well against other players who played at age 18/19 over the past 20 to 30 years save for 5 to 10 players who were clearly superior.

He already is among the best goalscorers not just the best among the young players.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
It is commonly understood that if a player plays in the year he was drafted it is their "18 year old season" therefore OV played in his 19 year old season (or draft plus one) and did enough to put him above what Matthews did in his 18 and 19 year old seasons.

I was pointing out that Matthews measures up pretty well against other players who played at age 18/19 over the past 20 to 30 years save for 5 to 10 players who were clearly superior.

He already is among the best goalscorers not just the best among the young players.

His playmaking abilities are limited though.

Personally, I'll have to see what accomplishes in his next full season to even think of his name amongst the other all-time greats.

Reactions: Khomutov

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Hell Tavares is a much better center young and current than Matthews
This is just false, and so are a lot of other statements in this thread.

But wouldn't wanna get in the way of all these fake outrage posts by posters who haven't read the OP.

Also apparently people are unable to use PPG when comparing Matthews to other players. Funny how that works since it's one of the most used stats on this site. But nope, for Matthews it's only raw points.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

But wouldn't wanna get in the way of all these fake outrage posts by posters who haven't read the OP.

Also apparently people are unable to use PPG when comparing Matthews to other players. Funny how that works since it's one of the most used stats on this site. But nope, for Matthews it's only raw points.

Kind of reminds me of how ONLY GOALS COUNTED when assessing Matthews performance the last 2 years. Nope, don't look at assists or point per game or overall scoring as compared to his peers. He's generational cause LOOK AT THE GOALS ONLY.

Reactions: Phil68

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017

Matthews gets owned too if you use PPG.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Kind of reminds me of how ONLY GOALS COUNTED when assessing Matthews performance the last 2 years. Nope, don't look at assists or point per game or overall scoring as compared to his peers. He's generational cause LOOK AT THE GOALS ONLY.
It's unfortunate such a small minority of Leaf fans can anger you.

But I agree, he was PPG+ last and PPG+ this year, he's a wonderful player.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's unfortunate such a small minority of Leaf fans can anger you.

But I agree, he was PPG+ last and PPG+ this year, he's a wonderful player.

Not a minority. Not angered. My interactions with Leaf fans leave me in a pretty good mood always. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad