You want to start a rumor? Report there's no truth to it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Was thinking more about the lower energy level that results from cutting out animal products altogether. Even with supplements it sounds risky enough to be borderline stupid for a pro athlete in a sport such as hockey. As far as the diet itself being unhealthy, consider the fact that it's not recommended for children, pregnant women, and most adults can't survive on it long-term. That should tell you everything you need to know. If you don't believe me, do some research :)

Speaking of not having any truth to it... :shakehead

Yeah look how sickly these vegetarian MMA fighters are- Growing List of Fighters who are Vegan, Vegetarian and Just Reducing Meat in Their Diets

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Was thinking more about the lower energy level that results from cutting out animal products altogether. Even with supplements it sounds risky enough to be borderline stupid for a pro athlete in a sport such as hockey. As far as the diet itself being unhealthy, consider the fact that it's not recommended for children, pregnant women, and most adults can't survive on it long-term. That should tell you everything you need to know. If you don't believe me, do some research :)

My buddy became a vegan and even though he's in great shape and works out like crazy, he has no stamina for hockey anymore.
And the funny thing is, even though AA has explosiveness, you can see that he lacks stamina. He's gassed and barely hanging on after 25 seconds.

Is that because he's vegan? I don't know. He thinks so.
He blamed screwing up two point-blank chances on feeling jittery because of the supplements he took.

I gave up carbs for 6 months and even though I cut a ton of weight and had better longterm energy, I felt like I lost short bursts and explosiveness.

So diets can really alter how you play.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

I don't know who you're talking to or what "research" you're reading, but a lot of adults live full on plant-based diets.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I'll be honest, it sounds like you're just making stuff up. Since when are adults unable to survive on vegan or vegetarianism long term? That's ridiculous. It's only "unhealthy" if your vegetarian diet consists largely of cheese pizza and skittles. A vegetarian or vegan diet filled with plentiful amounts of vegetables, fruit, beans, etc. is very healthy.

Traditionally, research into vegetarianism focused mainly on potential nutritional deficiencies, but in recent years, the pendulum has swung the other way, and studies are confirming the health benefits of meat-free eating. Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses. According to the American Dietetic Association, "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

Becoming a vegetarian - Harvard Health

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
My buddy became a vegan and even though he's in great shape and works out like crazy, he has no stamina for hockey anymore.
And the funny thing is, even though AA has explosiveness, you can see that he lacks stamina. He's gassed and barely hanging on after 25 seconds.

He blamed screwing up two point-blank chances on feeling jittery because of the supplements he took.

I gave up carbs for 6 months and even though I cut a ton of weight and had better longterm energy, I felt like I lost short bursts and explosiveness.

Probably weren't eating enough. You can get the same amount of essential nutrients from a vegan or non meat diet, it just takes longer for your body to absord.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

You are the one making the ridiculous claim, you need to cite your sources. Vegan diets are completely healthy for everyone. The only supplement really needed is b12, but a lot of meat eaters are deficient in b12 as well. B12 is the ONLY thing that a meat diet has that you can’t get from a plant based diet.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

You should check out the movie “the game changers”. It might interest you as it is about veganism in sports and how their diets affect their play.

Whatever supplements AA is taking shouldn’t be vegan related. The only thing needing supplementation is B12.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Slightly off topic but I always wonder how much teams help players figure out their diets and meals, younger players especially. The team might have a 20 year old superstar but what are the odds that kid knows how to cook proper meals and not just order takeout and pizza all the time?

Granted when you're 20 years old your body can generally handle eating more garbage but it's still got to affect your play on the ice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Slightly off topic but I always wonder how much teams help players figure out their diets and meals, younger players especially. The team might have a 20 year old superstar but what are the odds that kid knows how to cook proper meals and not just order takeout and pizza all the time?

Granted when you're 20 years old your body can generally handle eating more garbage but it's still got to affect your play on the ice.

It is a part of the development camp each summer. So our organization does this roughly two weeks after your first draft. Reinforcing it at each summer camp and I believe they have a session in both the Red Wings camp and Griffins camp devoted to dietary planning and health tips.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm sure the Wings have a team of nutritionists who are helping their players figure this out. I doubt this is the problem for anyone.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It is a part of the development camp each summer. So our organization does this roughly two weeks after your first draft. Reinforcing it at each summer camp and I believe they have a session in both the Red Wings camp and Griffins camp devoted to dietary planning and health tips.
Honestly I could see teams going so far as to have meal prep and deliver for players. Especially the younger ones.

It'd be a nice perk, doesn't count against the cap, and keeps your thoroughbreds on good diets.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You are the one making the ridiculous claim, you need to cite your sources. Vegan diets are completely healthy for everyone. The only supplement really needed is b12, but a lot of meat eaters are deficient in b12 as well. B12 is the ONLY thing that a meat diet has that you can’t get from a plant based diet.

Being an athlete is different than being healthy. What a normal body needs is different than what a body in a sport needs. And both are different than what you would need in combat, or if you're sleeping 23 hours a day. So, yes one can live a very healthy life with only plants in their diet, but, that likely doesn't necessarily hold for being a peak hockey player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hmm, only Vegan-thing what I've heard connected to hockey is Jonathan Toews change for somekind of vegan-diet couple of years ago. It was used as an accuse for his regression by some Hawks fans.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I'll be honest, it sounds like you're just making stuff up. Since when are adults unable to survive on vegan or vegetarianism long term? That's ridiculous. It's only "unhealthy" if your vegetarian diet consists largely of cheese pizza and skittles. A vegetarian or vegan diet filled with plentiful amounts of vegetables, fruit, beans, etc. is very healthy.

Becoming a vegetarian - Harvard Health

That's why I said don't believe me, but do your own research. I didn't say people aren't able to survive on it. I said most people can't, one of the reasons being that it requires a ton of planning and discipline. On top of that, some of the recommended staple items in it aren't good for you. Examples being non-fermented soy (tofu) and some raw greens like kale, which contain toxins. You don't have to have a degree in nutrition to question the wisdom of rejecting things like yogurt and honey just because they come from animals. Grains are much worse for human health than any animal product.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

You already dismissed my claim as ridiculous so I doubt anything I cite will change your mind. That's why you should do your own research before saying something highly inaccurate like "vegan diets are completely healthy for everyone". This isn't about meat vs veggies. Humans are omnivores. A healthy human body needs a balanced diet (mostly plant based supplemented by animal products) in order to function at its peak. This is amplified when it comes to professional sports. It's simple common sense.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Keith Gave said on Custance's podcast that he doesn't believe they will ever retire Fedorov or Datsyuk. I was a little surprised but maybe Pavel wants to come back for one year to attempt repairing the relationship a little to get that honor and put out some feelers on his own. I still don't expect him to come but maybe he attempted some back-channeling.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
You already dismissed my claim as ridiculous so I doubt anything I cite will change your mind. That's why you should do your own research before saying something highly inaccurate like "vegan diets are completely healthy for everyone". This isn't about meat vs veggies. Humans are omnivores. A healthy human body needs a balanced diet (mostly plant based supplemented by animal products) in order to function at its peak. This is amplified when it comes to professional sports. It's simple common sense.

Soy is fine as long as you aren't eating a ton of highly processed GMO stuff. I rarely eat tofu anyway. What is it you believe a carnivorous diet can provide that is missing in a plant based diet?

And did you seriously say that kale is not good for you? lof'nl

And for good measure:
**[Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics](Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets. - PubMed - NCBI

* *It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes.*

**[Dietitians of Canada](Dietitians of Canada

* *A healthy vegan diet can meet all your nutrient needs at any stage of life including when you are pregnant, breastfeeding or for older adults.*

**[The British National Health Service](http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetarianhealth/Pages/Vegandiets.aspx)**

* *With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs.*

**[The British Nutrition Foundation](http://www.nutrition.org.uk/publications/briefingpapers/vegetarian-nutrition)**

* *A well-planned, balanced vegetarian or vegan diet can be nutritionally adequate ... Studies of UK vegetarian and vegan children have revealed that their growth and development are within the normal range.*

**[The Dietitians Association of Australia](https://daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for...vegan-diets-facts-tips-and-considerations/)**

* *Vegan diets are a type of vegetarian diet, where only plant-based foods are eaten. With good planning, those following a vegan diet can cover all their nutrient bases, but there are some extra things to consider.*

**[The United States Department of Agriculture](http://www.choosemyplate.gov/tips-vegetarians)**

* *Vegetarian diets (*see context*) can meet all the recommendations for nutrients. The key is to consume a variety of foods and the right amount of foods to meet your calorie needs. Follow the food group recommendations for your age, sex, and activity level to get the right amount of food and the variety of foods needed for nutrient adequacy. Nutrients that vegetarians may need to focus on include protein, iron, calcium, zinc, and vitamin B12.*

**[The National Health and Medical Research Council](https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/publications/n55_australian_dietary_guidelines1.pdf)**

* *Appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthy and nutritionally adequate. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the lifecycle. Those following a strict vegetarian or vegan diet can meet nutrient requirements as long as energy needs are met and an appropriate variety of plant foods are eaten throughout the day*

**[The Mayo Clinic](http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...ting/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446)**

* *A well-planned vegetarian diet (*see context*) can meet the needs of people of all ages, including children, teenagers, and pregnant or breast-feeding women. The key is to be aware of your nutritional needs so that you plan a diet that meets them.*

**[The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada](https://www.heartandstroke.ca/get-healthy/healthy-eating/specific-diets/for-vegetarians)**

* *Vegetarian diets (*see context*) can provide all the nutrients you need at any age, as well as some additional health benefits.*

**[Harvard Medical School](http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian)**

* *Traditionally, research into vegetarianism focused mainly on potential nutritional deficiencies, but in recent years, the pendulum has swung the other way, and studies are confirming the health benefits of meat-free eating. Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses.*

**[British Dietetic Association](https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/vegetarianfoodfacts.pdf)**

* *Well planned vegetarian diets (*see context*) can be nutritious and healthy. They are associated with lower risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, certain cancers and lower cholesterol levels. This could be because such diets are lower in saturated fat, contain fewer calories and more fiber and phytonutrients/phytochemicals (these can have protective properties) than non-vegetarian diets. (...) Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life and have many benefits.*

Last edited:

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Sometimes eats fish and eggs. Not a staple of his diet.

Raw kale contains toxins and is very hard to digest. Raw kale is a staple in the vegan diet. The operative word here is raw. That goes for some other raw greens such as cabbage, collard greens and spinach. The toxins they contain when consumed raw inhibit your thyroid gland. Fresh soy interferes with the thyroid as well. Westerners eat mostly fresh soy. East Asians eat almost exclusively fermented soy.

I already said that a balanced diet is mainly plant based and supplemented by animal products. Eating fish makes you neither a vegan nor a vegetarian. Vegetarians can and often do eat dairy and/or eggs. Vegan means you can't use any animal products, not just in food, btw. That's impossible to pull off as a mammal. Even herbivore mammals nurse their young with milk. Babies shouldn't be eating soy milk and kale smoothies. The reason this type of diet isn't recommended for children and pregnant women is, once again, because it's super restrictive and demanding in terms how much planning goes into it. Did you read through the stuff you need to be eating pretty much every day in order to get the nutrition you need? If a pregnant woman screws this up, her baby suffers even more than she does. If a child is fed inadequately, they don't develop as they should. If a pro hockey player doesn't consume enough of what he needs, he under performs. Vegan diets are damned hard to pull off properly, not everyone is physically capable of handling the strain it puts on the digestive system, and on top of that they provide no nutritional benefits over a balanced diet for the normal human being. Most vegans/vegetarians go back to meat sooner or later.

P.S. Oh, forgot to mention that lots of vegan-friendly processed organic foods contain insect parts and insecticide.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad