Post-Game Talk: You lose 100% of the games you don't win

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Good bounce back win. I expect wins against Col and Phx. Hopefully we can go into Pittsburgh hot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Depends on who he gets traded for...

That's true.

But we all know the odds of DeKeyser getting traded is next to zero. He's basically the #2 defender now. He's 2nd in total TOI, 2nd in PP time, and 3rd in PK time for defenders.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So for todays: Scientific BinCookin Defensive Scoring System: SBDSS.
I was more lenient with Checks and X's today

E 8C; 1X
DDK 6C; 1X
K 6C; 2X
Smith 4C; 2X
QK 2C; 1X
March 2C; 3X

Overall a great game from our defender's today.

Those who stood out all game for me were Ericsson and DDK. Kronwall and Smith also had good games. Quincey was just so subtle that he really was quietly good, which I am totally OK with. Marchenko had a decent game, a little nervous, he got a few mistakes at the beginning of the game, but was solid thereafter.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

E 8C; 1X
DDK 6C; 1X
K 6C; 2X
Smith 4C; 2X
QK 2C; 1X
March 2C; 3X

Those who stood out all game for me were Ericsson and DDK. Kronwall and Smith also had good games. Quincey was just so subtle that he really was quietly good, which I am totally OK with. Marchenko had a decent game, a little nervous, he got a few mistakes at the beginning of the game, but was solid thereafter.

I always like your analysis. I've been making a point to watch the defenders more lately.

While Ericsson has struggled, I'm not sure where they get the idea he's not physical. He's constantly overpowering guys down low and in the corner. He's not making big hits, but he's huge and looks like a wrestler, so much so I worry he's going to get called for holding half the time. Different opinions, I guess.

Then like you said, DeKeyser, who plays a really clean and cerebral game. Great stick work, basically. Always has the lanes covered.

Today I couldn't complain about anybody. The passes worked and the coverage was there. Mrazek didn't have to be a superhero to get the win and made the saves required to show he can still hang in the NHL.

And Quincey really has seemed to have eliminated the bonehead plays. Credit to him. It's a combination of all these things that has the Wings in a much more comfortable position this year than last year, in addition to better health.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Depends on who he gets traded for...

I don't know much about DeKeyser but it seems like he's a guy you could develop a mutually beneficial relationship with. I can't remember what the shenanigans were during his previous contract negotiation but it seems like he could be a Red Wings player for a long time at rates that could be reasonable. I'm not going to say "home town discount" but...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't know much about DeKeyser but it seems like he's a guy you could develop a mutually beneficial relationship with. I can't remember what the shenanigans were during his previous contract negotiation but it seems like he could be a Red Wings player for a long time at rates that could be reasonable. I'm not going to say "home town discount" but...

DeKeyser would be wise to stick around, not just for the series of contracts he'll get out of loyalty, but he's also a fantastic fit for this current group. Look at how nicely Ericsson was rewarded. He'll get that, at least, and continue to get chances on the powerplay.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
DeKeyser would be wise to stick around, not just for the series of contracts he'll get out of loyalty, but he's also a fantastic fit for this current group. Look at how nicely Ericsson was rewarded. He'll get that, at least, and continue to get chances on the powerplay.

He would hook us the hell up if he only signed for that much. I figure around 5-5.5 for 6 years when his deal is up. But even then that might be too nice to the org. Figure his next deal if short term is around 4-4.5. But once he hits UFA he is gonna hurt to resign unless he does us a solid.

Mark Staal set the market already this year to around 5.5-6 million for second pairing d. Boychuk will be getting at least 7. It is not gonna be cheap in 2-3 years when he is ufa. The raising prices for 2nd pairing d's has been .5 million a year and last year was 5 to 5.5. If DDK is a established #2 when he hits UFA it would not surprise me if he was around 8.5-9 million per year.

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
Man, it must have been rough being an Islanders' fan the last two decades. From the 93-94 season onward they haven't won a single playoff series. By contrast, the Red Wings have won 32 playoff series.

Of course, they have only lost 6 playoff series, while the Wings have lost 16, so they have us beat there. ;)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
He doesn't hit UFA for 2-3 more years. It is a easy progression in cap per year provided Canada doesn't plummit into a depression for 3 years keeping cap down. We are looking at around 82-83 million cap in 3 years.

Watch what Boychuk will get inked to this year unless it is term past age 35-36 he will pull down 6.5-7 million.

Edit: Those #'s are assuming however he hits UFA and grows to a tweener #1-2 d. If he hooks us up and signs a Duncan Keith style deal we would get a steal for around 6-6.5 million per year.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
He would hook us the hell up if he only signed for that much. I figure around 5-5.5 for 6 years when his deal is up. But even then that might be too nice to the org. Figure his next deal if short term is around 4-4.5. But once he hits UFA he is gonna hurt to resign unless he does us a solid.

Mark Staal set the market already this year to around 5.5-6 million for second pairing d. Boychuk will be getting at least 7. It is not gonna be cheap in 2-3 years when he is ufa. The raising prices for 2nd pairing d's has been .5 million a year and last year was 5 to 5.5. If DDK is a established #2 when he hits UFA it would not surprise me if he was around 8.5-9 million per year.

Yep, DDK is worth Crosby money.

Seriously, though, I wonder if the collapse of the ruble will start to drive down the rate of salary increase over the next couple of years. Are there enough NHL caliber players in the KHL for this to have any effect on NHL salaries?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yep, DDK is worth Crosby money.

Seriously, though, I wonder if the collapse of the ruble will start to drive down the rate of salary increase over the next couple of years. Are there enough NHL caliber players in the KHL for this to have any effect on NHL salaries?

You have to understand though if the cap goes up 3-4 million per year it raises the running total up each year. For second pairing d's for the past 3 years it has continually raised around .5 million each year. Assuming he is a established #2 with #1 upside so say a #1.5 d a tweener top pairing defender it isn't crazy to see that amount if he wants to see offers made from other teams.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I certainly enjoy it when filling up at the pump so I don't care what it does to the cap. But the settling of Oil prices because of the production and investment in Shale Oil is going to have a pretty big impact on Canada. Not cripple it, but it might slow the astronomical pace the cap has been rising, as that will have a decent impact on Canada according to most experts. They also don't expect Oil prices to shoot up anytime soon either, which is good for us in terms of what we are seeing at these prices.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

E 8C; 1X
DDK 6C; 1X
K 6C; 2X
Smith 4C; 2X
QK 2C; 1X
March 2C; 3X

Good to see Smith finally had a good game, he's had poor SBDSS ratings as of late. Missed the game, thanks for the report. Looks like not much to complain about this game from the D.
That's three good games in a row for E. He seems to have put his bad plays behind him. Hopefully he keeps it up.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

DDK currently makes 2.187 and is signed one more year after this one. I think it would be a stretch to call him a #2 D man. I mean he could be #2 on Detroit, but he is currently a #3 or #4. He will be an RFA at that time. I do not know how many years until UFA.

I would expect his next deal to be around 3-3.25 for any RFA years. Maybe 4-4.25 for UFA years. I do not think DDK will command much more than 4.5 Unless he improves offensively.

Good thing is on detroit, most of our D men are on fairly cheap deals.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I missed the actual game so just watched the Condensed Version on GCL.

Every play I saw Dekeyser and Quincey on they really had excellent plays and saved a few goals. Those two have really stood up.

Did they give a Pity Star to Smith? I know he got the goal but did he do much else?

How did Marchenko go in particular?

I was really happy to see Tats but his body on the line by trying to block a shot later in the game.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Good bounce back game, beating a solid Islanders team, after losing pretty badly to Tampa. 19 total shots is a bit surprising, Gottta love our powerplay. Sometimes the difference between winning a playoff series and losing it is special teams, so lets hope we can keep our PP success going.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Every play I saw Dekeyser and Quincey on they really had excellent plays and saved a few goals. Those two have really stood up.

Did they give a Pity Star to Smith? I know he got the goal but did he do much else?

I was really happy to see Tats but his body on the line by trying to block a shot later in the game.

He is quietly having a solid season. Last year he was a mess, and people were not happy that we resigned him, but now its actually looking like a solid signing. I still don't think he is worth 4+ million, but he is having a pretty good year, so he deserves some credit. Far fewer KFQ moments this season.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

DDK and Q both were solid tonight, DDK had some very nice offensive passes, setting people up, or solid clearing passes to leave our zone. Quincey played an all around solid game.. Again i petition his name be reset to KQ :P instead of his 3 letter moniker.

Marchenko looked a little shaky to start, but ended just fine the last 2 periods. He didn't get alot of playing time, but he looked ok. With his playing time being low, we will need more games to properly evaluate him, mostly we played so well today, that very little pressure was put on the D in general.

No pity star to Smith... He had a good game. Scored a sweet goal, I believe it was the game winner? So thats probably the reason for the star. But mostly he had a good game.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
DDK and Q both were solid tonight, DDK had some very nice offensive passes, setting people up, or solid clearing passes to leave our zone. Quincey played an all around solid game.. Again i petition his name be reset to KQ :P instead of his 3 letter moniker.

Marchenko looked a little shaky to start, but ended just fine the last 2 periods. He didn't get alot of playing time, but he looked ok. With his playing time being low, we will need more games to properly evaluate him, mostly we played so well today, that very little pressure was put on the D in general.

No pity star to Smith... He had a good game. Scored a sweet goal, I believe it was the game winner? So thats probably the reason for the star. But mostly he had a good game.

I second the motion from KFQ to KQ. All in favor say Aye.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I thought it was a well played game, not a whole lot of shots but we scored on the few we had. Nyquist and Tatar keep scoring and then shocker goals from Smith and Ericsson. Hopefully we can keep it up on this upcoming road trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00