You have good announcing

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
Normally I don't venture much further than the Oil board, but I watched the game through your feed online today and I gotta say, you guys have good announcers for your games. Your guys call the games well, fairly and are knowledgeable. I didn't get a homer vibe at all, and appreciated the knowledgeable commentary.

So glad you're finally out of our conference.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Much appreciated. And yeah, Kenny & Mickey are doing a pretty good job without pushing the homer vibe too far. Entertaining for sure.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
At least we have something going for our team. Although Mickey is called a raging homer by other boards. But we'll take it, thanks!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I always say this but Ken is a far bigger homer than Mickey. Mickey is just a fan of old time hockey. He hates bad calls either way. He frequently calls out when the Wings get away with one or the other team gets called on a chintzy penalty. They both love the Wings and make no bones about showing that on broadcast but Mickey at least tries to be objective about what's fair and what's not during the game.

That said it's sad that an Oilers fan is coming to this board to cheer us up with something positive about the team and the only thing he can come up with is the damn casting team. What a sorry state this team is in.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't see Daniels as a homer. He calls it by the book. His goal calls somewhat annoy me due to how shrill his voice gets depending on the situation.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
At least we have something going for our team. Although Mickey is called a raging homer by other boards. But we'll take it, thanks!

I watch a lot of other team's games, I don't think Mickey is any worse than the majority of color guys.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I watch a lot of other team's games, I don't think Mickey is any worse than the majority of color guys.

He's not "worse" but he's absolutely a homer. His biggest fault lies in the penalty calls. Although, to be fair, he seems to hate 50% of all NHL penalties for either team. :laugh:

One thing I do like about Mickey, even if he's very old school in his views of the game, is that he can't help but call a spade a spade. When the roster looks bad, he doesn't hide it well. And like when Datsyuk was secretly retiring? He couldn't help but bring that up when the wheels were falling off the wagon. Guy is a straight shooter and I like that.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's not "worse" but he's absolutely a homer. His biggest fault lies in the penalty calls. Although, to be fair, he seems to hate 50% of all NHL penalties for either team. :laugh:

One thing I do like about Mickey, even if he's very old school in his views of the game, is that he can't help but call a spade a spade. When the roster looks bad, he doesn't hide it well. And like when Datsyuk was secretly retiring? He couldn't help but bring that up when the wheels were falling off the wagon. Guy is a straight shooter and I like that.

Exactly!

He love the Wings and obviously wants them to win. But he never holds back when he thinks the other team gets jobbed. He's consistent and fair about that. And yeah, he very obviously sees this team struggling. You can tell he's filtering himself to a degree but he can't hold it all in. There's been a few times the past several years where you can almost hear him getting angry during bad stretches over how poorly the team was playing.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Lately Mickey has been complaining about missed calls and penalties and stuff alot. He's very biased I find, its probably why every post-game thread here has "red wings vs refs" comments

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Lately Mickey has been complaining about missed calls and penalties and stuff a lot. He's very biased I find, its probably why every post-game thread here has "red wings vs refs" comments

He calls it down the middle and that's why a lot of people dislike him.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I feel like they’re a little biased because they are regional announcers, which is fine. Nothing over the top. Way better than Pittsburgh’s or tampa announcers, those guys are trash and almost painful to watch.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Exactly!

He love the Wings and obviously wants them to win. But he never holds back when he thinks the other team gets jobbed. He's consistent and fair about that. And yeah, he very obviously sees this team struggling. You can tell he's filtering himself to a degree but he can't hold it all in. There's been a few times the past several years where you can almost hear him getting angry during bad stretches over how poorly the team was playing.

I agree completely and that's why Mickey is my favorite sports announcer ever. Not that I have many to choose from, but still, he is awesome.

He is homer in the way that makes him entertaining (he loves my team), but not homer in an obnoxious way (biased whining about calls).

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Mickey homers a bit but he is a legendary Wing himself and like someone said he's like a friendly grandpa. His homerism isn't in your face or off putting. I really miss Dave Strader, hope his cancer is getting its butt kicked by modern medicine.

I never really warmed up to Ken, David and Mickey were the dream team.

Thanks for the shout out!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Mick is absolutely a huge homer, but he's like a sweet grandpa. Hard not to love him.

Perfect way to describe Mickey Redmond.

I think Ken Daniels is one of the most underrated sports announcers. He did a NBCSN broadcast last year and was an awesome neutral voice. One of my favorites, but then again I like doc quite a bit so take that with a grain of salt.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Mickey clearly loves the Red Wings, if that makes him a homer then everyone's a homer. He always comments on bad calls on the other team.

Now, can he drone on a little too long about "today's NHL"? Yeah, a bit.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Since nobody has defined it, here is what urban dictionary defines as a 'homer':

Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

_

.. I personally don't think of Mickey like that at all. He points out crap calls no matter what side of the ice... and he calls out the Red Wings when they are playing bad, gives unsolicited coaching advice to Blashill, etc. Does he show the Red Wings some love here and there? Of course, that's his job and I think he generally is fond of the organization due to his history.. but I think he's also generally fair.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The coolest thing about Mickey is the little things he points out in the game that you wouldn't notice being a non professional player. Mickey gives a window to the game inside the game that isn't just generic stats. Mickey is a big part of how Hockey grew on me, I got to meet him once and tell him that.

Admittedly I should try to warm up to Ken better, I think I am just stubborn lol

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I enjoy listening to Mick, he is fun. Nevertheless he does not see things well enough, the game might be a bit too fast for him.
The game has changed a lot since he played and probably 90% of the calls would not be a penalty in his time.
I like him like 10 times better than Ken.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I enjoy listening to Mick, he is fun. Nevertheless he does not see things well enough, the game might be a bit too fast for him.
The game has changed a lot since he played and probably 90% of the calls would not be a penalty in his time.
I like him like 10 times better than Ken.

Yes its true he is getting a bit outside his prime. There is a marked difference between Mickey 10 years ago and Mickey today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad