GDT: You have been visited by an ghost of first round pick - 2018 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Both days of the prospect 3v3 tourney will be live streamed on the Lightning's website, next Friday and Saturday.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
28 goals with just 11 assists. At least he shoots the puck. 194 lbs for a 6'1, 20 year-old.

This draft feels more forgettable than most. I don't know that we're gonna see a lot of NHLers come out of it. Taking overage players and Swedes. Something's wrong. :p

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is a hard draft to judge, without a 1st we weren't going to get a top prospect this year. Then you look and see if we grabbed any steals or guys who should've went higher but we didn't do that either. If you go by predraft rankings this is probably an F grade as almost all the picks weren't top 200 ranked prospects. If you go by need we really didn't do that great either as we didn't pick up any centers, we did grab two goalies which was a need but neither were highly ranked and it's hard to grade goalies this early. Another thing I don't get is what is the organization plan? We seem to be taking a lot more USHL kids and overagers than before.

Fortier is a safe pick, I guess without a 1st you don't want to take a gamble on your first pick of the draft. He's got the type of game that should get him into the NHL. Hard working 200 foot player, was almost a ppg this year so you'd expect him to be over that next year but he's not a guy we are drafting to be a top line winger, at best he could develop it enough to be a 2nd line wing. Most likely he's an above average 3rd line, PK monster.

Semykin not much is known playing in the MHL in Russia. What is known is he's got NHL size already at 6'3 200 and a right shot. From the little I've read he seems like he could be a more polished Dotchin at the same age. So if he develops well like Dotchin did after being drafted he's got potential, his skating sounds like it's much better too.

Green is another RD. Doesn't seem to have a ton of offense to his game. Already got a college season under his belt so further along than some of our recent kids coming through the USHL. Decent sized kid and has represented the US in some tournaments when younger.

Chrona is a huge mystery as I don't know anything about him or the Swedish leagues. Is young at just 17 and is already 6'4 190 from one site but not sure how accurate. Good gamble in the 5th and we can keep him overseas for 1-3 years as we don't need him to come over anytime soon.

Koepke is going to a good college in Minnesota-Duluth so he's got that going. Decent goal totals last year but not overly convinced on his offensive potential in the future as he was a 19 year old in the USHL. UMD isn't also known to be a place to blossom offensively. He'll become a strong 200 foot player there and he has decent size so a little offensive growth could go a long way for him.

Salda is possibly our steal of the draft. Was the 2nd highest ranked player picked by us based on a few sites. Overager who really impressed offensively last year in the Q. Ok size and good skating, needs a lot of work in his own end but can move the puck and play the PP. Is a lefty which I think we needed more than righties especially after trading Hajek, he's a Czech like Hajek too and could be on the WJC team next year.

Taylor is another I know little about. Don't know much about the BCHL but had great numbers there and is a good sized kid already. Going to New Hampshire which isn't a bad school to go to, just depends on if he's going to play much, I don't know the UNH goalie situation. We needed goalies and he's worth the flyer especially with his size and the numbers he put up already.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
ESPN gave the Lightning a C-. Definitely towards the bottom of ratings but acknowledged the lack of a 1st as a factor obviously.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
28 goals with just 11 assists. At least he shoots the puck. 194 lbs for a 6'1, 20 year-old.

This draft feels more forgettable than most. I don't know that we're gonna see a lot of NHLers come out of it. Taking overage players and Swedes. Something's wrong. :p
Most of the stuff I read said the top 40 in this draft were fine - in line with most drafts. After that, it doesn't have much depth. I can't remember who (Pronman maybe?), but they said "expect a lot of off-the-board and overage draft picks this year". That seems pretty much correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad