You guys don't get it - LTIR is the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur*

I thought that it was only an issue at the beginning of the season, which is why they always do some kind of paper transaction sending people down to Providence after the preseason concludes, then bring them back on the first day of the regular season calendar.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Slice the pie anyway you want but Chiarelli jammed team up hard.Ottawa has a Cap of 54 million and right there with Bruins.He gave out alot of dumb no trades and paid tad more then he should of too some players.And far as LTIR .Reason Bruins do not go over it is cause its money out of owners pockets .

The difference between Ottawa and Bruins, in regard to salary is that the B's have
many more established proven vets, that got their pay day. Some of those vets
are on the back nine of their career, and no longer are worth their contract.
They are getting paid for what they did, not what they will do.

Prime example of how to do things right is the Pats.
They just released Vince Wilfork. Seems pretty harsh.
Still a very good player. Pats could have signed him, and paid him for what he
did for them, but if it was a 3 year deal or more, his later years probably wouldn't
be worth it. The B's should also be very careful of signing someone after a career
year. (See C. Kelly)

Son of bodacious

Apr 17, 2006
I thought that it was only an issue at the beginning of the season, which is why they always do some kind of paper transaction sending people down to Providence after the preseason concludes, then bring them back on the first day of the regular season calendar.

It's always an issue, in fact it ties a lot of teams hands at the deadline so that they can only take on contracts were the other team retains some of $$. Classic example was Vanek last year. The Ilses didn't want to retain any $$ on his contract so the Habs picked him up for peanuts - which in hindsight was exactly what he was worth.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
Now I'm even more confused...

This is a layout of our current team, along with their current cap hits...

If what you're saying about LTIR is true - Savvy's salary COUNTS towards the original Cap - $69mil...

If you add in his 4.5mil to our team's "Salary Cap Payroll" (according to this, currently = $67.5mil), we're at $72million...

Over the cap.

How can that be?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm hoping Savard might retire after this season.

He only has $500k/year left in real money in the next two years and the Bruins might be able to offer him a job that pays, say, $250K a year for the next four years in exchange for retiring.

C'mon Savvy! You're my favourite player since Adam Oates. Do us a favor!

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Now I'm even more confused...

This is a layout of our current team, along with their current cap hits...

If what you're saying about LTIR is true - Savvy's salary COUNTS towards the original Cap - $69mil...

If you add in his 4.5mil to our team's "Salary Cap Payroll" (according to this, currently = $67.5mil), we're at $72million...

Over the cap.

How can that be?

OP is actually wrong. Actual salary can exceed the cap; he misunderstands how it works. There are no carryover penalties to the next season from the LTIR, it's more a problem of making it work on Day 1 and trying to find a way to accumulate space for the trade deadline.

Arthur*

OP is actually wrong. Actual salary can exceed the cap; he misunderstands how it works. There are no carryover penalties to the next season from the LTIR, it's more a problem of making it work on Day 1 and trying to find a way to accumulate space for the trade deadline.
Yep. As I just posted in the Krug/Smith thread, it's not what he seems to be claiming it is. The trickiest part about the cap is that it accumulates daily and not in one lump sum based on season totals. On any given day you have to be below $69m or whatever it is. For every day Savard doesn't play, you get a cushion of $20-something thousand for that particular day's total, which can be filled by one or several players whose yearly hits total 4.027m.

cvbruins15

Jun 28, 2011
For all the mewling (very appropriate description of most of HFBoards posters) about bad contracts and mismanaged cap space, it's obvious that very few of you know how it works.

Big Misconception: LTIR allows you do go over the cap by the amount of the injured players contract without repercussions.

Fact: While you can add players and theoretically exceed the cap, the total compensation paid out by the team must be below the cap figure or there will be a penalty on the following year's cap. That compensation includes players on LTIR.

Completely false

The Bruins have also had Savard on LTIR the majority of every year since the cup year for those of you complaining about them trying to save the money

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

But, but we don't get it.

Son of bodacious

Apr 17, 2006

You can only pay out the cap maximum - no exceptions, LTIR is included in total compensation

See : http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/faqs if you don't believe me.

As for the salary chart. Some of the guys have not been on the roster the whole year, but it does seem that they are dipping into LTIR this year - looks like another penalty for next year!

cvbruins15

Jun 28, 2011
You can only pay out the cap maximum - no exceptions, LTIR is included in total compensation

As for the salary chart. Some of the guys have not been on the roster the whole year, but it does seem that they are dipping into LTIR this year - looks like another penalty for next year!

Nothing about LTIR money rolling over to the next year there just bonuses

Arthur*

From that page:

LTIR Replacement = The amount a team can go over the Cap limit due to the cap hits of players who are replacing a player or players on LTIR
Cap Space = Cap limit (which is $69 million in 14/15) plus the Bonus Cushion and LTIR Replacement amounts minus the team's Total Cap Hit

I respect the research you are doing but I do not believe you are correct in this interpretation.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
I mean - just think of it logically...

Say a team spends close to the cap... Let's say 65million...

What do they do if 10 players get hurt and put on LTIR? If what the OP is saying were true, the team would only have 4mil left...

10 guys, 4 million... league minimum salary is $550,000.

They'd have to start forfeiting games

member 96824

What do they do if 10 players get hurt and put on LTIR? If what the OP is saying were true, the team would only have 4mil left...

The OP wrote "FACT" before his incorrect statement though, you don't get it.

Ignore that NYR already has 77 million dollars in payroll committed to this season(a number that will only go up now that they are paying Yandle daily and only lost Stempniak) or Philly who's got $74M committed to the payroll already not including the call ups they've had like Laughton, Zepp, Akeson, etc. for a few days here and there.

Son of bodacious

Apr 17, 2006

Calgary was in this situation a few years ago - they played a game with 18 or 19 players instead of 20 (18 + 2 goalies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad