YOU Be the Coach: Who should be on the Point on the PP?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
He shouldn't be getting one.

He's never been a point producer at any level, so why will he suddenly be QBing a PP in the freaking NHL?

Girardi on our team sadly has the best ability to get shots through and capably move the puck in a creative pattern. It just sucks for him that he doesn't have enough footspeed to get to loose pucks.

McD has been pretty decent at scoring points in the NHL. 7th in ES points last year (among D-men) and curretly 13th. He doesn't get PP time so he can't score points there.

Girardi isn't a better RH option at the point than Strålman, who possesses a better shot, more willingness to use it, and is better at moving laterally along the blue-line.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Anyone not named Girardi. Hell I rather have Asham there...at least he would occasionally hit the net..

Stupid poll btw, give more options or change the misleading title of the thread.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
whoever has the hardest shot on the team.

This implies that the team would actually utilize anyone's shot to the Rangers' advantage. How many guys have we brought in that "have booming shots (from the point)"? I can't recall names since half of them were in-and-out within a season or two, but there have probably half a dozen in as many seasons.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This brings up a very interesting question...we know Kreider has a pretty wicked wrister, but I don't think I've ever seen him do a slapshot. How's it look?

*Bob Richards*

This brings up a very interesting question...we know Kreider has a pretty wicked wrister, but I don't think I've ever seen him do a slapshot. How's it look?

IDK. Kreider wouldn't see ice time this season if he taped some snow to a clock. I can't imagine him getting PP minutes.

*Bob Richards*

Hypothetical Robert.

(Ignoring that awesome 2nd sentence)

You take your hypothetical n' git ert!

Nah but seriously, CK does have a very good shot and in theory would make sense at the point.

I'm trying to keep this as broad as possible as to avoid turning this thread into another Torts vs. CK debate.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

Nah but seriously, CK does have a very good shot and in theory would make sense at the point.

I'm trying to keep this as broad as possible as to avoid turning this thread into another Torts vs. CK debate.
*sigh* a boy can dream

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

With the current state of things/players, I'm not sure if Kreider is mentally quick enough to break up a rush going the opposite way when it happens. Say a guy like Grabner, notorious for his speed, manages to break up a pass party we have going on and carries it out of their zone. Would you rather have McDonagh or Kreider on the point? Granted Kreider could beat a train headed from point A to point B traveling at 90mph, I feel McDonagh would be more apt to have that thought/scenario and how to deal with it in the foreground of his head, as opposed to Kreider who would, most likely at this stage, have that in the back of his head. Not to say Kreider is incapable of learning to think that way, but right now I don't think he's able to on the fly.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Girardi is abysmal on the PP. He never hits the net and nothing ever gets through. Yet Tortsy the clown trots him out night after night on the first unit.

Nash on the point is another ridiculous concept. The guy is one of the best down low players ever to wear a ranger uniform and in the present day NHL and he is playing point on the PP?

I would take any defenseman over Girardi on the PP. Mcdonagh is a no brainer in this poll.

I'd even take Hubie Mcdonough playing point over Girardi on the PP.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Neither. McDonagh and Girardi can't even hit an 85 foot space to clear the zone on the PK and now we expect them to hit a 4 by 6 on the PP??? :help:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
PP1:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Richards - Stralman

PP2:

Clowe - Brassard - Zuccarello
Moore - Del Zotto

I don't like having two lefty point men on PP2, but I don't like seeing Girardi anywhere near the PP. Also, there's no Callahan here. I'd be open to flipping Zuccs to LW, removing Clowe, and putting in Cally at RW, but he's been absolutely brain dead in the offensive zone recently, getting him away from the PP might be a good thing.

To stay on topic, out of those two, McD.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The Rangers haven't had a great point presence on the PP since Leetch and Zubov were tearing it up. Since then it's been the search for the elusive pointmen that the Rangers can never find.

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
Agree with this. So many turnovers.

Del Zotto has a good first pass and decent offensive instincts. Other than that he's a pylon in the OZ and on the PP. Never knows when to jump in, panics when it results in an odd-man rush, and his shot, well, there are no words to describe his lack of accuracy. It wouldn't be as bad if he had the skating ability to get back quickly, but he's pretty slow for an offensive defenseman.

Mr K

Apr 24, 2013
Cally-Brassard-Nash
Moore-stralman

Zucca
Step-Clowe-Richie
McD
Right sticks on left board, vise versa.
2nd unit is diamond set up..

Bardof425*

He's been given shots and he isn't better than MDZ or Richards, both LH players that play the point.

It's like asking Pyatt to play a top 6 role

Uh, no it's not. He has the skills (skating, vision, accurate shot) to be a PP point man. What he lacks is experience. Pyatt lacks the skills. Really dumb comparison.

Green Blob*

Anyone not named Girardi. Hell I rather have Asham there...at least he would occasionally hit the net..

Stupid poll btw, give more options or change the misleading title of the thread.

Haha that made me laugh. Now that would be a funny site :laugh:

Bardof425*

He shouldn't be getting one.

He's never been a point producer at any level, so why will he suddenly be QBing a PP in the freaking NHL?

Girardi on our team sadly has the best ability to get shots through and capably move the puck in a creative pattern. It just sucks for him that he doesn't have enough footspeed to get to loose pucks.

wow. HE WAS A POINT PRODUCER AT THIS LEVEL!!. 6th in the league for defenseman last year at even strength. You know when we don't have the advantage of an extra skater. Why all the McD hate? Hate him if you will but try and make some sense; that alone will add to the discussion.

Bardof425*

He scored on one in the playoffs last year I believe against Holtby and I think it was a game winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad