You are AV: Who is the 7th defenseman going into the season?

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Don't forget the Rangers called and asked Diaz to return. Now when he showed such a great performance in pre-season, it's going to be very tough for them to let him go.

If the Rangers is a respectful organization, they wouldn't treat people like that.

Treat people like what? He's the 8th best DMan in most people's opinions... They would be sending him to Hartford to play as part of the organization, not getting rid of him. If another team were to claim him, not a guarantee BTW, he would get to play in the NHL.
You really think they are going to keep him and lose a big young defender (McIlrath would almost CERTAINLY be claimed) who has been much better defensively and brings an element no other DMan on the team offers?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Been thinking about this, eco. It maybe be Yandle who gets shopped. The trade has been a waste of assets so far. It may be that some can get recouped. Not that this is the thread for it.

As for McIlrath , he deserved it and I can see him getting onto the third pairing on a regular basis before the year is up.

We could wait until we know about Yandle TB. I've mentioned before that I think the Rangers will wait a little and see how his season is going but if they're happy come January--they will try to sign Keith to a multi-year deal. If Yandle wants more than we can give though--I think he will be moved because he's too valuable to lose for nothing. Any scenario with Yandle in our lineup though next year though and Klein is out the door.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Don't forget the Rangers called and asked Diaz to return. Now when he showed such a great performance in pre-season, it's going to be very tough for them to let him go.

If the Rangers is a respectful organization, they wouldn't treat people like that.

He didn't show a great performance. You're the only person who has said that really. He scored a nice amount of point but actually look at them. All pp points, one 5 on 3. Last night he just gave the puck to Nash and Nash made a goal out of it.

A 7d needs to be able to fill a hole when there is one. Unless that hole is on the power play against preseason competition, I don't see anything in Diaz that makes me think he's capable of doing that.

And it is no way disrespectful to slot a player in the depth chart at the spot their play has earned. It's disrespectful to everyone on the team to do anything but that.

Wolfy*

Treat people like what? He's the 8th best DMan in most people's opinions... They would be sending him to Hartford to play as part of the organization, not getting rid of him. If another team were to claim him, not a guarantee BTW, he would get to play in the NHL.
You really think they are going to keep him and lose a big young defender (McIlrath would almost CERTAINLY be claimed) who has been much better defensively and brings an element no other DMan on the team offers?

Would be stupid to waive McIlrath, he'll be traded if they don't find room for him.

Diaz will not go to the minors, then he returns to Europe where the pay is much better. Could be waived though with the same conditions.

I believe Diaz has a clause in his contract, he'll be a free agent if the Rangers decide not to use him, and they have to pay him 1/10 of contract value, $70.000.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Just curious, what would we be getting back for Klein?

If he's so inept why would anyone want to trade for him?

The return seem to be negligible. The main reason to trade Klein is so the Rangers can hand a full time spot to McIlrath, who may or may not be able to handle a regular NHL shift at this point. What a grand plan for a team with cup aspirations.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We would be literally ********, if we trade or in any way lose McI. Literally ********!

You don't want those hits coming our way.

edit: That word is censored? Come on. It's essential to my post. :laugh:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

i dont think hes inept.

i think the rangers are that deep.

i still wouldnt trade him just yet. let McIlrath play some games...spot start...let guys sit to rest. a rotation wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
i dont think hes inept.

i think the rangers are that deep.

i still wouldnt trade him just yet. let McIlrath play some games...spot start...let guys sit to rest. a rotation wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

Absolutely. I was going to ask if it is customary in hockey to rotate? We are deep, as you said; like FC Bayern (if that's cool), and they constantly rotate.

As for Klein he's a great allrounder, righty and on a great contract. Do of that what you will. Certainly keeping him would be nice, but letting him go for assets, would also be nice.

As for money issues let's put those on hold. We are talking this season now, that starts in a week. Injuries happen and then we'll be happy to have any competent guy we can find. As of now the cap is cool, right?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Klein could be a good veteran presence on a fairly cap-friendly contract for a young team trying to make the playoffs. Get a 2nd or (more likely) a 3rd from a young bubble team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Klein could be a good veteran presence on a fairly cap-friendly contract for a young team trying to make the playoffs. Get a 2nd or (more likely) a 3rd from a young bubble team.

He could also be a good veteran presence for the 3rd pairing on a team trying to win the Stanley Cup this year.

....oh wait....

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
He could also be a good veteran presence for the 3rd pairing on a team trying to win the Stanley Cup this year.

....oh wait....

Or, he could be an overpaid 6th d-man on a contending team with cap problems who also have a former 1st round pick d-man knocking very, very loudly on the door.

Different strokes.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Or, he could be an overpaid 6th d-man on a contending team with cap problems who also have a former 1st round pick d-man knocking very, very loudly on the door.

Different strokes.

NYR are under the cap this year.

Klein will be just as easy to trade next offseason, and we will have more information on...

McIlrath's development
Girardi's status
Yandle's Status
Boyle's Status

No real reason beyond playing time to give away depth. If nothing else to insist on playing McIlrath should mean Klein is kept as a scratch, either way he is good to have on the team.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
NYR are under the cap this year.

Klein will be just as easy to trade next offseason, and we will have more information on...

McIlrath's development
Girardi's status
Yandle's Status
Boyle's Status

No real reason beyond playing time to give away depth. If nothing else to insist on playing McIlrath should mean Klein is kept as a scratch, either way he is good to have on the team.

Agree.

Never underestimate blue line depth.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I think we could get a solid prospect or UFA forward for Klein. He's fairly cheap, fairly solid, and locked up for a while. He has value and he's a likely cap casualty next season. Unlike what BRB seems to believe, I wouldn't move him just to open a spot for McI. I'd move him because I think he is a good piece to be moved.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I can't see how McIlrath could possibly outplay a guy who has looked like dog **** most nights since returning from his injury and is set to make too much money for a guy who is 100% going to be playing on the third pair in a very limited role.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Different strokes.

Cap problems seem to be a figment of your imagination to push a poor idea.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Why should we trade Klein? I mean not because you [there is more than one "You" in this thread] want McIlrath to make the team and Klein wasn't flying out of the gates. I mean grounded in this part of reality.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Why should we trade Klein? I mean not because you [there is more than one "You" in this thread] want McIlrath to make the team and Klein wasn't flying out of the gates. I mean grounded in this part of reality.

In my mind, preseason performance means close to squat for veteran players. I have very often seen veterans have great preseasons and then stink in the regular season, and vice versa.

That aside, trading Klein would still be a huge mistake. Let McIlrath start as #7, get some games, practice with the team, and prove himself and force himself into the roster. Don't hand him the spot. We didn't do that with Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, etc. Also, if we trade Klein, our depth on D has suddenly become an issue if we have any injuries.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

For the same reasons I've been mentioning since the end of last year that neither need to be rehashed nor have anything to do with McIlrath's play. His play is another reason entirely.

Klein has looked bad for longer than pre-season, but it is much easier to justify a position by making it sound like the opposing thought is jumping to conclusions based off of a few poor pre-season showings.

Last year before his injury he was playing over his head and his offense especially was unsustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad