GDT: Yotes @ Caps | 11/5/22 | 7:00pm ET

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They very well miss the playoffs. But this game was no death knell, nor is any game before March. There are 69 games left on the schedule.

There is definitely cause for concern though.

If they miss the playoffs by 1-2 points, this is one of the games that will immediately come to mind as a missed opportunity.

We’re on a 4 game losing streak with 2 OT losses, and this is what’s coming up next.

- Edmonton
- Pittsburgh
- Tampa x 2
- Florida
- St Louis
- Colorado

I could see us dropping 4-5 out of the next 7 games, and we’re below .500 already.

Statistically, 77% of teams in playoff spots by Thanksgiving end up making it.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Not sure if you’re serious or not…. Or did you come to share misery with us?

I am definitely serious. The jersey that the Caps wore during Jagrs tenture and Ovies rookie season is in my opinion by far the best looking Caps jersey! I might prefer the logo from Ovies first year, but this is a jersey I could almost buy :)

Caps and Penguins racing each other to the bottom of the East

View attachment 603967

We can have a reverse retro night and trade breakaways for Ovie & Sid to help them climb the all time lists :) I am 0-6-1 watching the Pens live during the night in sweden. So it seems the playoff streak for PIT/WSH will come to an end, it was a long run for both teams! Maybe you can make a run with Wilson back, I would never rule out the caps machine!

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The standings by the time of American Halloween tend to be a pretty good reflection of the standings after 82 games.

And i don't know about you, but where's the improvement coming from here? Possibly Kuzy starts shaping up but that's not enough.

We're done. Book it. Might as well tank.

Darcy Kuemper is a very injury prone goalie on an extremely injury prone team. He's also our best player currently so im betting he's out with something within the next 5 or so games.
Let's hope Kuemper doesn't get injured!

Reactions: YippieKaey

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We can have a reverse retro night and trade breakaways for Ovie & Sid to help them climb the all time lists :) I am 0-6-1 watching the Pens live during the night in sweden. So it seems the playoff streak for PIT/WSH will come to an end, it was a long run for both teams! Maybe you can make a run with Wilson back, I would never rule out the caps machine!

You stay up all night to watch all Pens games live in Sweden?

That’s dedication right there, kudos to you for being a hardcore fan

Reactions: Dessloch

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Yes. But also no. Bedard.
There only shot at Bedard is if Ovi goes down for significant time. While I don't think he's a guy who can outright carry a team into the playoffs anymore, Ovi alone is enough to keep them in the 7 to 8 range in the lottery.

It does suck that this really would be the year to go for the lottery and pray the Hockey Gods (or the NHL) want to reward Washington with another potential Great One.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
It doesn't matter who is in the line up for us or who we are playing against... they play the same way. It's the style of hockey they play that is the issue. This style just does not generate enough chances for them to score goals.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It doesn't matter who is in the line up for us or who we are playing against... they play the same way. It's the style of hockey they play that is the issue. This style just does not generate enough chances for them to score goals.
They also don't defend particularly well. Other than though...

Lavi will get enough time for when they're healthier but there's no real future with him it would seem. There's no real future period in terms of substantial developing talents or much of any seriously applied development overall. It's just going to be year after year of this basic plugging style as-is, which probably also does no wonders for them as they continue to get older. They could do worse but they ought to have the ambition and self-belief that they can do better conceptually. And if a restructuring or mini-rebuild is called for that approach also doesn't seem to align with Lavi leading the way.

There's a lot they need to sort out beyond getting healthy. Thin depth doesn't help but should come as no surprise. This should be when the developmental system starts paying dividends but they've really strayed from it. That more than anything would have me questioning MacLellan's fitness. Retread city was bound to blow up on him eventually.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
There only shot at Bedard is if Ovi goes down for significant time. While I don't think he's a guy who can outright carry a team into the playoffs anymore, Ovi alone is enough to keep them in the 7 to 8 range in the lottery.

It does suck that this really would be the year to go for the lottery and pray the Hockey Gods (or the NHL) want to reward Washington with another potential Great One.

Yeah Ovi needs to stay healthy and get to 895. But it would be nice if we could do that and get the #1 pick

I am definitely serious. The jersey that the Caps wore during Jagrs tenture and Ovies rookie season is in my opinion by far the best looking Caps jersey! I might prefer the logo from Ovies first year, but this is a jersey I could almost buy :)

I do the same but for the Caps. Not doing much better:)

You stay up all night to watch all Pens games live in Sweden?

That’s dedication right there, kudos to you for being a hardcore fan

Hey! I do the same for the Caps:) Only when working the night shift though

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah Ovi needs to stay healthy and get to 895. But it would be nice if we could do that and get the #1 pick

I do the same but for the Caps. Not doing much better:)

Hey! I do the same for the Caps:) Only when working the night shift though

Kudos to you guys, I don’t know how you do it!
I can barely stay up for the 3rd period of these West coast games in California.

How do you watch these?

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Kudos to you guys, I don’t know how you do it!
I can barely stay up for the 3rd period of these West coast games in California.

How do you watch these?

I pay about 40 bucks a month for a service that let's me see all NHL games. Only watch the Caps basically but still. There are other options but they dont do replays (yet) so gotta pay to play at the moment.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
This confirms what the eye test tells me, CM makes some smart, nifty plays on offense. If he can get stronger, work on finishing, and improve defense (which I expect he will) along with playing his natural position, he will be a player. I’d like to see him center teammates who aren’t offensively inept .
I was far more impressed with CMM when he played centre. Him playing wing is a waste

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Evgeny Kuznetsov:

"To be MVP, you have to work hard 365 [days] in a year, but I’m not ready for that. I want to have fun, and I want to make those risky plays when sometimes you don't have a play and you guys don't understand every time those plays. It's not easy to make. But to be MVP in this league, you have to play even better. You have to go next level. It's not easy. More important, you have to stay focused 365 [days], but that's not my style."

Lol

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
On one hand I want to give them a break. We have all of Carlson, Oshie, Backstrom, Brown, Wilson all sitting on the shelf. That’s a lot to overcome. But on the other hand I don’t see anyone stepping up, the style of play is slow and boring, and outside of Wilson, im not sure how much left those guys sitting out have to give anyway.

I’m still in belief that Ovie can chase 99 in a rebuild.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
There is definitely cause for concern though.

If they miss the playoffs by 1-2 points, this is one of the games that will immediately come to mind as a missed opportunity.

We’re on a 4 game losing streak with 2 OT losses, and this is what’s coming up next.

- Edmonton
- Pittsburgh
- Tampa x 2
- Florida
- St Louis
- Colorado

I could see us dropping 4-5 out of the next 7 games, and we’re below .500 already.

Statistically, 77% of teams in playoff spots by Thanksgiving end up making it.

I've watched enough Caps' games to know that they can win games when nobody counts on them. So I'm not afraid

This game they thought it will be easy and it was and that's why they stopped played in the middle of the game.
2 goal lead at home against a bad team. everything was ok. And then you cannot reverse the flow of the game.

PS : If Orlov is not hurt he would be on the ice for the last minute instead of Gustafson.

At least Ovi scored a goal.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ovechkin goal and Mantha 1+1 to pump up his trade value. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

As for the game... with all these injuries and Orlov dropping is anyone really surprised we suck? Bubble team can't cope missing 4 top-6 forwards and top D pairing.

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
How'd that work out

Dauphin had a blank stat line and their 3LW scored 2 goals on us including the game winner.

Their 7th D played 6min over 11 shifts.

It's not why they won.

Shot chart. AZ is on the left

1667734358087.png

Once again plenty of shots from the slot, including all the goals. The side for Ovie's goal seems reversed, fwiw.

This team is losing because they're shit on defense in the slot. They need better backchecking and attention from the forwards there, and more physical presence from the d-men.

This is a pattern.

Reactions: DWGie26

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Evgeny Kuznetsov:

"To be MVP, you have to work hard 365 [days] in a year, but I’m not ready for that. I want to have fun, and I want to make those risky plays when sometimes you don't have a play and you guys don't understand every time those plays. It's not easy to make. But to be MVP in this league, you have to play even better. You have to go next level. It's not easy. More important, you have to stay focused 365 [days], but that's not my style."

Lol
Are you sure about that translation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad