Yost on Melnyk's finances, Citizen post 181

Leachman

May 13, 2007
Well you caught me with the lazy part. But I'd like to think I am both lazy and fair, and as a fair person I prefer to keep an open mind. Aside from being lazy, fair, and open minded, another character trait that I possess is that I like to ask very pointed questions. On that topic, maybe you could enlighten me and provide one concrete example in Yost's blog post where he says something that is not true. It is all open source information, and seeing as you are so adamant about it being false this should pose no problem whatsoever for you. Oh, and work with the assumption that I want to be shown concrete proof that something in the blog post is false. I've read "bad blog post" several times, and while it is charming it is not particularly specific or well documented.

Thanks.

My issue with the blog is not whether the presented facts are correct, it is the naive and logical leap used to capitalize, sensationalize and frenzy. You can check my earlier posts for the reasons for my beliefs if you like, I won't reiterate here. If you understand how business works you need no explanation I would hope.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Well Alfredsson is probably gone. Anyone still on the glad we aren't spending any money train? Can't wait to see how all the young guys help the team next year.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The Sens are reported to be in debt by the same amount as the franchise has appreciated in value. That is not debt you feel sorry for and wonder if the franchise is sustainable, those are numbers where you go wow, lucky guy, look how much money he has leveraged out of his team.

Now Melnyk has not had a great track record as a businessman or horse racer lately. What happens to him is too bad for him, but not a reflection of the team that will surely survive just like it did after Bryden if any of this normal, billionaires travails in this tough market is going to lead to anything unusual for the team.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
Reposted from the Alfie thread:

I think the picture that is becoming clear at this point is that Melnyk would've happily given Alfie what he wanted, but that he wouldn't have spent any more money than that. Alfie knew this, so he left. And I can't blame him. Or Murray, for that matter.

If it turns out that this is actually what happened, Melnyk better address this. We've been a budget team for a few years, but if the budget starts to work against on-ice performance (it hasn't, until now), it's going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad