Signing(s): Yoshinobu Yamamoto signs with the Dodgers (12 years, $325 million)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't have a problem with teams spending money. After all, enough teams proved last year that it doesn't really matter. Just don't pretend you don't, is all.
You’re basically depriving 80% of markets an opportunity to land big names for the sake of their fans not because they don’t have the money but because big markets will ALWAYS match since there’s no cap and will ALWAYS get the nod because of the big city appeal. Not everything is about wins and losses. Sometimes it’s about building excitement. Hard to be excited if you’re a fan of small market team. It’s not long before baseball has contraction issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
You’re basically depriving 80% of markets an opportunity to land big names for the sake of their fans not because they don’t have the money but because big markets will ALWAYS match since there’s no cap and will ALWAYS get the nod because of the big city appeal. Not everything is about wins and losses. Sometimes it’s about building excitement. Hard to be excited if you’re a fan of small market team. It’s not long before baseball has contraction issues.
So wait....

Big markets shouldn't spend money because it hurts small markets?

The owners have money. Stop this "small market" nonsense. There is no invisible barrier stopping owners from spending money no matter what any excuse either they, or their fanbases want to portray.

If youre that poor, sell the team. If you're afraid of investing in players to help you win world series, sell the team and get an owner willing to put in the work.

Sep 19, 2008
I watched him and NPB every morning from the USA. He is the real deal.

Looking forward to seeing how he does.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Lockout is coming no way small market teams agreeing to another contract with players unless a cap is implemented. Every other league has one and the tax MLB has isn't enough. Congrats to Dodgers fans your putting together quite the all star team.

"Small Market" owners don't want a cap, they never had any intention of going after the big fish in the first place, and if a cap is implemented, a floor will come along with it, and gone will be the days of the Fisher's and Nutting's being able to field teams with payrolls of 50-60 million

Having the Dodgers sign all these guys is good for them, that means the Dodgers pay more tax into the welfare system that gets handed out to the teams that don't spend

Reactions: DaveG and Cas

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lockout is coming no way small market teams agreeing to another contract with players unless a cap is implemented. Every other league has one and the tax MLB has isn't enough. Congrats to Dodgers fans your putting together quite the all star team.
I’d definitely be willing to lose a full season for them to get it and that’s the only way you’re breaking the PA is to just willingly lose a year

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Lol because these small market owners are the biggest scumbags in baseball, my guy. They don’t give a shit about winning or building excitement, it’s all about pocketing as much money as possible. Forget about landing a “big name”, these owners don’t even want to pay their homegrown talent when they turn into stars. Just perspective from an A’s fan (they’ve pretty much lost me though).

The “poor small market teams always get screwed by the big guy” narrative is so f***ing old and tired.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Lol because these small market owners are the biggest scumbags in baseball, my guy. They don’t give a shit about winning or building excitement, it’s all about pocketing as much money as possible. Forget about landing a “big name”, these owners don’t even want to pay their homegrown talent when they turn into stars. Just perspective from an A’s fan (they’ve pretty much lost me though).

The “poor small market teams always get screwed by the big guy” narrative is so f***ing old and tired.
Yup.

They might not have Dodgers money but these other teams can spend too. They just choose not to.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

100% this.

That scumbag in Oakland is a billionare. Same with that piece of shit in Pittsburgh. They choose not to invest in players to win and the fans of those teams just have to suck it up from their perspective.

Is it fair? Of course it isnt, but I would rather urinate on an electric fence then have to listen to the excuses these grifters try and pass off as truths as to why they refuse to invest into their own investments.

Sports are entertainment. Hollywood invests in big names and here you have that clown in Oakland trying to act like Roger Corman and the fool in Pittsburgh is the mlb version of a SoundCloud rapper with five listens a song.

Cubs fans don't even get the luxury of asking Ricketts questions at the Cubs convention but he damn sure wants you to buy season tickets and bet at his new sports book.

SAme as it ever was.....

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Teams may very well wiling to spend money but getting those players to sign is another story.

I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and have visited many other of the cities nearby that have MLB teams, (Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, St Louis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Philly, DC, New York, Baltimore, and Boston, as well as a few further out in San Diego, LA, Anaheim, and Seattle) and if someone was offering me $200 million to remain in Pittsburgh or one of the other Northeast/Midwest cities, or the same to go to Southern California, I wouldn't have to think twice about heading to the west coast. My wife might disagree, but I'm sure she would be able to find a new husband at some point.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Using the A’s to define the plight of the small market teams ain’t it, my guy. We’ve seen it countless times throughout the years of teams that just couldn’t get their homegrown talent to want to stay. The players ain’t dumb and know most of the money they make will be through endorsements, not by their paycheck.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Using the A’s to define the plight of the small market teams ain’t it, my guy. We’ve seen it countless times throughout the years of teams that just couldn’t get their homegrown talent to want to stay. The players ain’t dumb and know most of the money they make will be through endorsements, not by their paycheck.
Not in baseball. MLB players are not nearly as marketable as NBA or soccer players.

Just look at Mike Trout. He only makes about $5 million in endorsement along with his $35 million salary. LeBron makes a whopping $70 million just in endorsements. His salary is $47 million.

So no, baseball stars rely mostly on the check they get from their current teams

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Granted there are some bad owners who just want to leech off the system, have no intention of spending any money on players or putting together a championship team. Setting those aside, I wonder how many owners from the flyover states would be willing to spend money on players, but have no choice in the matter because no superstar is going to sign a long term deal in Kansas City for the prime of his career, when he can get the same money from Los Angeles or New York.

Set the cap at something like 150-170M or whatever, all of a sudden the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Braves, Astros, Cubs, Giants can't even sign a guy like Yamamoto if they wanted to. You guys think that means no one signs him, or do you think it means one of those smaller market teams with "grifter owners" who "don't want to spend money" ends up with him? My guess is on the latter.

Not necessarily advocating for a salary cap in the MLB, but you can't deny that it would change the landscape from every big free agent narrowing it down to the same four teams every time.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Granted there are some bad owners who just want to leech off the system, have no intention of spending any money on players or putting together a championship team. Setting those aside, I wonder how many owners from the flyover states would be willing to spend money on players, but have no choice in the matter because no superstar is going to sign a long term deal in Kansas City for the prime of his career, when he can get the same money from Los Angeles or New York.

Set the cap at something like 150-170M or whatever, all of a sudden the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Braves, Astros, Cubs, Giants can't even sign a guy like Yamamoto if they wanted to. You guys think that means no one signs him, or do you think it means one of those smaller market teams with "grifter owners" who "don't want to spend money" ends up with him? My guess is on the latter.

Not necessarily advocating for a salary cap in the MLB, but you can't deny that it would change the landscape from every big free agent narrowing it down to the same four teams every time.

And to clarify, it's not like a team like the Royals is necessarily going to go out and drop 300M on Yamamoto, or Pittsburgh is gonna have a chance at Shohei, but now LA has to make sacrifices to fit those two, which probably means no Glasnow, which means he signs with a team in the mid-range of league payroll (in terms of spend today), and that may push a B guy down to a team like the Pirates or A's.

And if a salary cap means a salary floor, and that means teams like Oakland can't sit at the bottom just collecting revenue share money, and the owners have to actually spend money and try to field a competitive team, isn't that generally a good thing for Oakland fans? You can't really sit here and just dismiss it as owners being scumbags and grifters while simultaneously supporting the system that enables them to do so.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i can't think of a single instance in recent memory where an A's star homegrown talent wanted out of oakland

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
"Small Market" owners don't want a cap, they never had any intention of going after the big fish in the first place, and if a cap is implemented, a floor will come along with it, and gone will be the days of the Fisher's and Nutting's being able to field teams with payrolls of 50-60 million

Having the Dodgers sign all these guys is good for them, that means the Dodgers pay more tax into the welfare system that gets handed out to the teams that don't spend
You might be right but in doing so they are killing the game. It's not fun knowing before season even starts that your team has no chance. Less and less are playing the game. Just look at the most successful league and the parity it has in NFL. You wanna keep everyone interested make it so everyone has a chance.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
You might be right but in doing so they are killing the game. It's not fun knowing before season even starts that your team has no chance. Less and less are playing the game. Just look at the most successful league and the parity it has in NFL. You wanna keep everyone interested make it so everyone has a chance.
What the hell are you talking about? Baseball is anything but predictable. Who had Arizona going to the World Series coming into last season?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
What the hell are you talking about? Baseball is anything but predictable. Who had Arizona going to the World Series coming into last season?
There's always an exception just like TB seems to do just fine with no payroll. However tell that to KC, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Colorado those teams stand no chance at all before season starts. I mean sure they could build like Cleveland and Miami seem to but everything needs to go right for them just to be competitive. They just can't mask their mistakes or lack of player development with free agency like I'm taking guess here the top 10-15 teams sign all the talent in free agency?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad