GDT: Yes, there's a game today... Yotes @ Devils - 7PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood has a lot of good goaltending left in him but it’s clear he’s uninspired. They need to get a few good games out of him then move him. Hell, gillies offered the most inspired goaltending we’ve seen in months.
I think he's done here after next year. That's when his contract ends and he has one more year of RFA status after that. If he shows little to no improvement next year from his last two years then he has no leg to stand on to ask for a raise.

I don't know if he does have a lot of good goaltending left in him. I can almost see him like the next Steve Mason, who washed out of Columbus after about 3 or 4 poor years in a row which followed one of the best rookie goalie seasons we had seen in a bit before that. Especially for only being 20 years old.

Mason resurrected his career for a few years in Philadelphia, but he was out of the league by 30 years old, which I think was because of injuries. Blackwood is already a few months older now than Mason was at the time he had been traded from Columbus to Philly.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He has to be hurt right, he can’t be this bad

The postgame started with that lame excuse...if you're injured you're not playing, if you're playing you're not injured. Enough with this, if his hip is bothering him again put in Gilles, it's not like we're going to go on a 23-game winning streak to get back in the playoff race regardless.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He has to be hurt right, he can’t be this bad
He looked like one of those robots that you see in offices on the 2nd goal.

Or something battery powered where the battery was dying out and causing it to slow down.

That second goal looks so bad from the behind the net cam. That puck should have hit him, he had more than enough time to get over but the puck beat him to the post.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think he's done here after next year. That's when his contract ends and he has one more year of RFA status after that. If he shows little to no improvement next year from his last two years then he has no leg to stand on to ask for a raise.

I don't know if he does have a lot of good goaltending left in him. I can almost see him like the next Steve Mason, who washed out of Columbus after about 3 or 4 poor years in a row which followed one of the best rookie goalie seasons we had seen in a bit before that. Especially for only being 20 years old.

Mason resurrected his career for a few years in Philadelphia, but he was out of the league by 30 years old, which I think was because of injuries. Blackwood is already a few months older now than Mason was at the time he had been traded from Columbus to Philly.

When your that massive in size and you are bad at goalie then there isn’t much hope for you to suddenly get better.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Everyone that worries about our cap you can rest a little easier knowing we don’t and hopefully won’t have to give Blackwood a big raise

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When your that massive in size and you are bad at goalie then there isn’t much hope for you to suddenly get better.
I only think there's a chance because he was good before and he's not up there in age like Cory was getting or god forbid Marty who didn't look this bad until he was 41.

I wouldn't bet on him bouncing back to what he was in 19-20, but I wouldn't rule it out like I so adamantly did with Cory in his last couple years here. I think there's a greater chance of him bouncing back than I ever thought there was of Cory by about 2018 or so.

But I don't have a lot of confidence in it either though. And I hope management doesn’t bet on it either like a bunch of dumb f***s when they assess our goalie situation this off-season. He doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I listened to a few podcasts today with Patty and Dano talking about our great teams over the years. The one overarching theme was that everyone was committed to winning, to getting better, sometimes to a fault, just maniacally driven, top to bottom. No matter if it was the 4th line or the 1st line, the GM or the coaches. Things for sure would be said behind the scenes taking each other to task, they’d never put up with this shit.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
He looked like one of those robots that you see in offices on the 2nd goal.

Or something battery powered where the battery was dying out and causing it to slow down.

That second goal looks so bad from the behind the net cam. That puck should have hit him, he had more than enough time to get over but the puck beat him to the post.
That's the Frankenstein syndrome....Wedgewood had it right before we sent him to Arizona

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I listened to a few podcasts today with Patty and Dano talking about our great teams over the years. The one overarching theme was that everyone was committed to winning, to getting better, sometimes to a fault, just maniacally driven, top to bottom. No matter if it was the 4th line or the 1st line, the GM or the coaches. Things for sure would be said behind the scenes taking each other to task, they’d never put up with this shit.
There was tons of talent everywhere in the lineup too...not so much here now...our best players today wouldn't even have spot anywhere in the lineup of late 90's through 2001 Devils team.

Last edited:
Reactions: JK3

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

besides having 3 hall of famers maybe 4 (Elias) what those teams had were hungry veterans that pushed for the best held people accountable. Imagine rookie Gomez coming into the nhl on this roster? Forget it never would work. Instead he came in with veteran supporting him demanding the best of him. Everyone on here is so afraid of the cap and bringing players in until that changes this team is going no where. Luke hughes in 2-3 years is going to be stuck in the same position as these kids are now.

Reactions: JK3

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I listened to the Gomez one from Spittin Chicklets a while back, say what you want about him but he's a good storyteller. I actually got a laugh out of the one where he and Drury were discussing what numbers they were going to wear when they joined the Rangers, Drury said something to the effect of 'you take 23, I'll take 11' and Gomez said 'hey dumbass, where do you think we just signed? You aren't getting 11'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad