News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if I would compare him to Alfie.

I think someone like Briere (whom Pageau idolizes and tried to model his game after) might be a better comparable. Briere's career really took off in his late 20's, and he had his career year when he was 30. He was still quite productive up to his mid-30's.

Briere's career took off when the lockout changed the game for skilled players like him. Not really a case of a development curve, just the game changing to better suit his skillset right when he reached his prime. That's unlikely to happen with Pageau given todays game already seems pretty well suited for him.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
There are some that feel a big part of why they needed to rebuild was because they gave a lot of money and term to non core players from outlier seasons or past contributions. We heard the same thing with every one of them... who else will fill their role?

I like Pageau as a player and maybe he's one to make an exception on, but at some point this organization is going to have to make tough choices with their role players and be a heck of a lot more savvy with their decisions there or have no money left over to sign the players that really carry them.

Not to mention if you're not willing to spend the 10-15mil per year extra for raises on contracts to Karlsson, Stone and Duchene, why are you giving the 3C having a hot year a 2-4 mil raise?

I mean talk to Pageau and if he really loves being home that much, trade him to his desired destination, resign him locking up cap floor space and gaining that 1st round pick or decent prospect.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Got to remember, we are a budget team. We are NOT spending to the cap. Not now, not in the FYOUS years, and not with a new owner.

So, we know that no GM will have an entire roster of underpaid players. There will always be bad contracts. But if it comes down to overpaying a top 3 forward/top pairing defenseman....or a third line center......the choice is pretty obvious.

I like Pageau, but we just can't pay him over $4 mil a year.

Reactions: NB613 and Upgrayedd

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't know if I would compare him to Alfie.

I think someone like Briere (whom Pageau idolizes and tried to model his game after) might be a better comparable. Briere's career really took off in his late 20's, and he had his career year when he was 30. He was still quite productive up to his mid-30's.

Briere is a guy who could contribute on the PP with his skill level.

I don’t see that with Pageau.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Got to remember, we are a budget team. We are NOT spending to the cap. Not now, not in the FYOUS years, and not with a new owner.

So, we know that no GM will have an entire roster of underpaid players. There will always be bad contracts. But if it comes down to overpaying a top 3 forward/top pairing defenseman....or a third line center......the choice is pretty obvious.

I like Pageau, but we just can't pay him over $4 mil a year.

We absolutely can pay Pageau more than $4M. In fact, if there's one player we can overpay, it's him.

Reactions: Matsens15

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don’t know. So many prospects, so little space. Ottawa needs some veterans. He should be one of them to keep.

How many more picks? McGuire said even in the 7th Round there will be quality players. We may have to go through a couple drafts to replace a player that does what Pageau does.

Anisimov, Boedker, Tierney and Ennis will be gone. Pageau will be more important than ever moving forward.

If they trade him, it is the right thing to do in the context of the rebuild, but also wrong. This is a tough one

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don’t know. So many prospects, so little space. Ottawa needs some veterans. He should be one of them to keep.

How many more picks? McGuire said even in the 7th Round there will be quality players. We may have to go through a couple drafts to replace a player that does what Pageau does.

Anisimov, Boedker, Tierney and Ennis will be gone. Pageau will be more important than ever moving forward.

If they trade him, it is the right thing to do in the context of the rebuild, but also wrong. This is a tough one
There's never enough picks. You can always trade a bunch of them to move up in the draft.

If Pageau really wants to play here, he can re-sign with us in the off season.

Reactions: NB613

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If Pageau wants to stay in Ottawa and accept anything at or below a 5x5 than Dorion should sign him.
He always leads by example; whether its through his defensive game or by scoring hattricks out of nowhere, and it seems like everyone in the lockeroom absolutely loves him.

If he wants to leave a la Stone, then by all means the bare minimum that he should net is a 1st round pick.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It's a not brainer

You traded karlsson stone and Duchene and you want to keep pageau?

Jeez

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Mark Stone's market was slim considering he would cost a lot to resign to most competing teams and the fact that Dorion dragged it out to the very last day.
That was idiotic on his part. Stone signing for 1 year should have been an automatic sign that he's not coming back, during his negotiations even. At that point he should've start to shop him around for offers

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
An $80 million payroll averages out to about $3.6/player.

Teams can maneuver their cap hits around - but 3/4 line players making above that average are going to limit spending somewhere. Obviously there are ELC’s but there are also bad contracts we also want some guys making $8.

Pager and White for $10 million on the 3rd line is the start of a problem.

Last edited:

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
Depends on the trade offer.

Depends on the contract Pageau would accept.

If he would take White money over 5 years, then sign him. If he wants more and someone offers up a 1st pick +, then move him out.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
We will need players over the age of thirty when we want to be competitive. We will need players who have been beyond the first round when we want to be competitive.

To me, other than a home run offer, there's no reason not to keep Pageau for the next 6 years if the number is between 4 and 5M.

Reactions: Ed Wood

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I really hope we can get a 1st from a bubble team that in the end misses the playoffs. Imagine the possibilites of having three lottery picks. Right now there will be more options than waiting for the deadline when certain teams will feel they are out of the running for playoff contention.

Reactions: DrEasy

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
If a GM came along and offered a 1st and a good prospect, I'd do it.

If Pageau does not come to terms with the new team and goes to FA, circle back then if the term and $ is reasonable (it won't be), and if he gets some ridiculous deal from another team let them endure the burden.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If someone offers me a 1st and a good prospect I am probably taking that offer.

This should be the cost for Pager. A good prospect and a 1RD pick. A late first round pick alone has about a 65% chance of playing 200 games and will cost $5 mill anyway (White, Norris, Bower types). Pager is close to 100% guarantee to get those games and will equal the statistical norm of a late first pick. The only thing we lose with keeping Pager is the lottery ticket potential of finding a late gem like Kucherov/Hossa.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, Trade J.G. Pageau

Worth a read. I want to keep Pageau but after reading this, I don’t know anymore. But I still want to keep Pageau.
Well clearly its the right thing to do. Not easy but this team commited to the rebuild last year. Changing the course now makes no sense whatsoever and would show management has no plan and no idea what they are doing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We traded away all of our talent. I don’t think we should make an exception for a 3rd line center, as good as he is and as good as he’s playing.
Bingo. Love Pageau but this team made a huge commitment last year to dismantling the team. Why change now. All the to be Ufa's that garner any return should go. Not until closer to the trade deadline but they need to maximize every asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad