Year 1.5 into the rebuild, smashing success so far?

Keep it going?

• Yes

Votes: 70 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Even with the Meier trade, we're talking about the difference between 30th overall this year and 42nd overall. Had NJD just been good, but not good enough and had their 2nd rounder in the mid to late 50's, then that's a different deal. But the difference between 30th and 42nd is likely to be very negligible which worked out nicely for us. 4 picks in the top 42 plus 3 more likely in the top 40 next year while coming off 4 last year and 3 (top 45) in 2022 is a heck of a way to start to rebuild the prospect pool and allow you to have guys coming in waves in the future (in addition to just giving you more lotto balls in a big game of chance).

I am curious about how he addresses the defense primarily. It's a spot that takes a long time to address purely via the draft/prospect ranks, but is also expensive to address in other ways (trade/free agency). I think it's easy enough to fill out a forward group with the draft and UFA, but the defense is going to be a bigger hurdle (and likely more important hurdle) to overcome. Will never be able to address it all in a single offseason, so like to see him chip away with a piece this summer and then see if you can get another in 2025-26.

I think Thrun-Emberson could be a very good third pairing on an actual playoff team in a year or two and Muk has very good 2nd pairing potential (or maybe even a #2 on a top pairing). Add a second pairing type RHD this offseason to play with Muk (unlikely to find a legit top pair guy) and then see what becomes available over the next 12 months that might allow you to add someone to round out the top of the group (or if someone internally just overperforms and recalibrates the caliber needed).
If the Devils had made the finals last season, the Sharks would have gotten their 2024 first, which would have been a lottery pick. Correct me if I am wrong...

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If the Devils had made the finals last season, the Sharks would have gotten their 2024 first, which would have been a lottery pick. Correct me if I am wrong...
This year's pick was also top 10 protected, so even if they made the conference finals, pending the lottery results, it would have been deferred to 2025, when I expect the Devils will bounce back.

Also, because Musty in particular fell, this works out pretty well.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This year's pick was also top 10 protected, so even if they made the conference finals, pending the lottery results, it would have been deferred to 2025, when I expect the Devils will bounce back.

Lol that would have been hilarious if we somehow ended up with 4 first rounders next year.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

I’m guessing at 29 Edstrom would have been the pick with Musty likely not available. Who knows the butterfly effect that would have had.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Believe they just had to make the eastern conference finals and timo play in half the playoff games.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I still can't believe that we traded Timo for Zetterlund, Muk, Musty and now the 42nd pick as well.

Timo in 69 GP had 28G, 24A, 52P
Zetterlund in 82 GP had 24G, 20A, 44P and is only 24 years old

This was the best trade yet for Grier. It's a good trade because he made the most out of his draft picks and know the prospects he got in return. Let's see if his scouting team success wasn't a fluke. Scouting is probably the most important thing for a rebuilding team, so I'm excited about our future.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think it's worth pointing out that we don't know how much Grier really targeted Zetterlund, Mukhamadullin, or Edstrom. Many times in trades like that, the GM trading out the established player wants a pick and a top prospect, giving the other team the choice of how to fit that. For example, when the Sharks acquired Karlsson, every single non-draft-pick piece was "chosen" by the Sharks.

Reactions: karltonian

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I think it's worth pointing out that we don't know how much Grier really targeted Zetterlund, Mukhamadullin, or Edstrom. Many times in trades like that, the GM trading out the established player wants a pick and a top prospect, giving the other team the choice of how to fit that. For example, when the Sharks acquired Karlsson, every single non-draft-pick piece was "chosen" by the Sharks.
I suspect with Edstrom Vegas had a choice of two firsts or Edstrom and a first since their prospect pool was non-existent.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I suspect with Edstrom Vegas had a choice of two firsts or Edstrom and a first since their prospect pool was non-existent.
I don't think so since they weren't gonna trade their 2024 (plus I'm not even sure SJ would have wanted it knowing where they could finish), and already traded their 25 and 26 firsts.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I still can't believe that we traded Timo for Zetterlund, Muk, Musty and now the 42nd pick as well.

Timo in 69 GP had 28G, 24A, 52P
Zetterlund in 82 GP had 24G, 20A, 44P and is only 24 years old

This was the best trade yet for Grier. It's a good trade because he made the most out of his draft picks and know the prospects he got in return. Let's see if his scouting team success wasn't a fluke. Scouting is probably the most important thing for a rebuilding team, so I'm excited about our future.
The trade looks worse when everyone keeps putting their stats together lol. Meier is BY FAR the best player in the trade, but yes, in the end, Grier actually did a very good job and I am very happy to have been wrong about Zetterlund, who, even though he is still just a 3rd liner, was very fun to watch this year. This was a great trade for both teams in the end, and NJ's problem is they have literally no one but Meier built for tough hockey, which is why I said as soon as they traded for Meier they should've traded Bratt.
From now on can we stop comparing these two lol?

MG's best trade is the Karlsson one and it's not close. I still have had a hard time genuinely criticizing Grier since that trade because it is still so unbelievable he only retained 1.5. Getting rid of Karlsson, while freeing up 10m, is the equivalent of getting like 2 1sts back. The fact they actually got a first along with Granlund is just absurd work.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The trade looks worse when everyone keeps putting their stats together lol. Meier is BY FAR the best player in the trade, but yes, in the end, Grier actually did a very good job and I am very happy to have been wrong about Zetterlund, who, even though he is still just a 3rd liner, was very fun to watch this year. This was a great trade for both teams in the end, and NJ's problem is they have literally no one but Meier built for tough hockey, which is why I said as soon as they traded for Meier they should've traded Bratt.
From now on can we stop comparing these two lol?

MG's best trade is the Karlsson one and it's not close. I still have had a hard time genuinely criticizing Grier since that trade because it is still so unbelievable he only retained 1.5. Getting rid of Karlsson, while freeing up 10m, is the equivalent of getting like 2 1sts back. The fact they actually got a first along with Granlund is just absurd work.

I agree on all points, actually. I’m thrilled with Zetts and Muhk and Musty look really good.

But the Karlsson trade was a seemingly impossible feat and to end up with a 14OA pick and a really skilled vet who has become a teacher and leader for all of our young guys while retaining almost nothing was Grier’s best so far. Meier was always going to get a pretty good return, I thought we were going to have to pay someone to take Karlsson. Thank god for that crazy season.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I agree on all points, actually. I’m thrilled with Zetts and Muhk and Musty look really good.

But the Karlsson trade was a seemingly impossible feat and to end up with a 14OA pick and a really skilled vet who has become a teacher and leader for all of our young guys while retaining almost nothing was Grier’s best so far. Meier was always going to get a pretty good return, I thought we were going to have to pay someone to take Karlsson. Thank god for that crazy season.
I'm not going to deem the rebuild a "smashing success" simply because it's too early in what's a massive process, but to have two major trades that look so good after just one year--one seemingly against all odds--is honestly quite massive for Grier.

I had my skepticism when he was hired and, while every move has to be looked at critically, he's done enough in his time in charge that I now feel confident that we are actually in very capable hands. And that alone was a huge worry both before Grier's hire and after (when we didn't know what to expect from him).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm not going to deem the rebuild a "smashing success" simply because it's too early in what's a massive process, but to have two major trades that look so good after just one year--one seemingly against all odds--is honestly quite massive for Grier.

I had my skepticism when he was hired and, while every move has to be looked at critically, he's done enough in his time in charge that I now feel confident that we are actually in very capable hands. And that alone was a huge worry both before Grier's hire and after (when we didn't know what to expect from him).

Agreed, I really like him so far. I also absolutely love how he is always 100% honest. “We fired the Russian scout because he sucked. Let me go into more detail…”

Just seems like a really really smart, shrewd dude who also does really nice things like giving Akim a chance to play.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Sharks have an abundance of AHL goalies, and no #1 NHL type.
It's hard to find a consistent #1 in the NHL. Toronto, Colorado, Edmonton, etc. are all contenders and have been looking for that forever now. Vanecek and Blackwood have both shown promise at points in their careers, so even if they aren't our #1s moving forward, they can be flipped for assets while we continue to look. Other than Vasilevskiey and Oettinger, none of the elite goalies in the league were drafted in the 1st round, so it's all about scouting and then developing the right person.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
It's hard to find a consistent #1 in the NHL. Toronto, Colorado, Edmonton, etc. are all contenders and have been looking for that forever now. Vanecek and Blackwood have both shown promise at points in their careers, so even if they aren't our #1s moving forward, they can be flipped for assets while we continue to look. Other than Vasilevskiey and Oettinger, none of the elite goalies in the league were drafted in the 1st round, so it's all about scouting and then developing the right person.
Blackwood is a #1 I think. If we iced a half competent defense that sv is gonna go way up

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Blackwood is a #1 I think. If we iced a half competent defense that sv is gonna go way up
I think Blackwood is good enough for the time being while they rebuild the team. I don't know that he's good enough when the team gets competitive. There's a lot of goalies like Blackwood that you can rely on to start games and give the team a chance to win but maybe not be good enough to be a difference maker when you go up against the better teams in the league. The hope is that you get lucky in the draft and develop one as the team gets rebuilt or you get so many prospects with value that you have an excess that you can trade for an established one when you are competitive. But that latter option is basically where New Jersey is so it's not a guarantee that you can get that done.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think Blackwood is good enough for the time being while they rebuild the team. I don't know that he's good enough when the team gets competitive. There's a lot of goalies like Blackwood that you can rely on to start games and give the team a chance to win but maybe not be good enough to be a difference maker when you go up against the better teams in the league. The hope is that you get lucky in the draft and develop one as the team gets rebuilt or you get so many prospects with value that you have an excess that you can trade for an established one when you are competitive. But that latter option is basically where New Jersey is so it's not a guarantee that you can get that done.
When the team is competitive again, Blackwood will probably be permanently broken and retired. He's pretty fragile.

Reactions: karltonian

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When the team is competitive again, Blackwood will probably be permanently broken and retired. He's pretty fragile.
Possibly. It's always hard to tell with goalies. You never really know what you're going to get from one season to another. I hope Blackwood is good and healthy enough to get a good deadline return like a 3rd round pick. I'd like to do better than the Kaapo return. Vanecek seems like one of those goalies we'll probably keep beyond next year and then try to rebuild his value but we'll see. If you want to add veterans to a team, goalie is a good spot to do that with when a spot opens up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad