Year 1.5 into the rebuild, smashing success so far?

Keep it going?

• Yes

Votes: 70 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I genuinely don’t know how he could have done any better up to this point. The Burns trade is the only one that felt a little weak to me but as we’ve discussed ad nauseum, he didn’t have a ton of control there.

The key will be to see if these picks actually work out — and how the team gets built around them. But so far, he has been damn near surgical in everything he’s done.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I gave Grier a hard time at first for some of his signings but he’s done well so far. Long way to go but I hope he stays the course on this rebuild and doesn’t too eager, too early

Last edited:

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
While I do agree with the sentiment that the teardown is the easy part of a typical rebuild, this is a franchise that doesn't have the word "rebuild" in their vocabulary. The most difficult part, and I don't know how Grier managed to do it, was to convince Hasso to allow a teardown in the first place. The second most difficult part was offloading so many anchor contracts, never mind the returns, which are looking better each passing day.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
GMMG could have asked for a bit more from the Hertl trade. Don't know if David Edstrom ever could be 4th line center. Plus on top of that we lose a 3rd rounder and 17% retention for 6 more years hurts.

Reactions: karltonian

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
While I do agree with the sentiment that the teardown is the easy part of a typical rebuild, this is a franchise that doesn't have the word "rebuild" in their vocabulary. The most difficult part, and I don't know how Grier managed to do it, was to convince Hasso to allow a teardown in the first place. The second most difficult part was offloading so many anchor contracts, never mind the returns, which are looking better each passing day.
Hasso is a data guy. He had to know the writing was clearly on the wall, and in numbers. If you put all our KPI’s on a charts you’d see the trend pretty easily. And if you love and understand this game, then it was clear post SCF run we were trending down.

Of course anything can happen. But Hasso is 80 and ultra competitive. If he wants to win, we have to get aggressive. The next step is firing Joe Will or at least removing him from doing any general managing.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Grier did the teardown (the easiest part) with the hardest, bloated, aged roster in the cap era all while under the most restrictive conditions thanks to COVID-19. Now, he's going to build (the hard part) at a super transformative time for the league and while nearly every team is going to enjoy some cap breathing room for the first time in a while.

In a sense, he's like Andy Dufresne. He's crawled through his river of shit and now has a clean slate to build.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
GMMG could have asked for a bit more from the Hertl trade. Don't know if David Edstrom ever could be 4th line center. Plus on top of that we lose a 3rd rounder and 17% retention hurts.
He could have? How do you know? How do you know he didn’t?

I love Hertl. Always will. But unfortunately his knees are going to be the death of his career. I don’t suspect he’s going to age gracefully in this fast league. Dummy Joe Will gave him that head scratcher contract and GMMG did what he could. And there’s reasonable chance we get a pick near where we drafted Hertl (17) + a potential low C with some upside. Ya we gave some 3rds too. What evs. We unloaded a dumb contract, got two 1sts out of it (Edstrom + pick) and said goodbye to the DW era (44 will die in SJ)

Last edited:

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Hasso is a data guy. He had to know the writing was clearly on the wall, and in numbers. If you put our stats won a chart you’d see the trend pretty easily. And if you love and understand this game, then it was clear post SCF run we were trending down.

Of course anything can happen. But Hasso is 80 and ultra competitive. If he wants to win, we have to get aggressive. The next step is firing Joe Will or at least removing him from doing any general managing.
Good point. I was more worried about Becher's insistence that the Sharks were not going to do a rebuild, since him and Will were on the hiring committee. Also agree with your last point. The Cuda clearly need a fresh start and that starts with Will.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
MG should stop the trade if they don't meet his demand. I would!
lol. How do you know he didn’t?

Good point. I was more worried about Becher's insistence that the Sharks were not going to do a rebuild, since him and Will were on the hiring committee. Also agree with your last point. The Cuda clearly need a fresh start and that starts with Will.
It’s not good business in a small market to declare a rebuild. As duplicitous as it seems, you still want the fans who are clinging to hope to show up for games. I still read dumbos on Reddit and TXitter saying we need to sign a big FA this summer and make the playoffs. Lolz

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
No. I still think Grier should gotten a lot more the Hertl trade. Whether you agreed is NOT important.
You’re right, whether I agree isn’t important.

What is important, and TRUE, is you have zero clue what was on the table in negotiations. Neither do I, nor anyone else here really.

What if the original offer was Hertl for 1st straight up, and GMMG negotiated Edstrom? What if a 1st wasn’t even on the table? What if every other offer was a 2nd+? And VKG finally broke? See? This can go on for ever.

We won’t ultimately know the value of a trade like this until we exercise the pick, we see what Edstrom does, and what impact 48 + 2 3rds has on Vegas (I suspect the 3rds are trade bait for next season).

Enjoy the rebuild my friend. GMMG has done great so far.

Edit: for science, I’d love to know what “lot more” you think he could have gotten

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Man, I don’t know if THIS particular tear down was “the easy part.” Half of our contracts seemed entirely untradeable and the ones that were had poison pills attached (10 million QO! Super long deal! etc). Obviously we got VERY lucky (and thank Quinn too) that Karlsson had an insane year and suddenly became an asset, but 2 years ago I remember looking at our contract and just thinking… how the hell do they get out of this…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad