Post-Game Talk: Yay, we lost again

ScandinaviaSensation

Oct 21, 2016
Time for an unpopular opinion/observation. First off, AA's backchecking is not hot. Floating around on that first goal... I know he's looking for an odd-man rush to come back his way, but still, isn't this similar to why we're benching Mantha? Just an opinion. Secondly, XO and Jensen looked good. Budding, and improving. Now for the part that'll get me hung: Mrazek played fine.

Yes, I said it. He played well. Two-on-one rushes and backdoor passes are not on the goaltender's shoulders like that. You can't cheat, because if you do, that's a goal almost 100% of the time. By being prepared for the first shot, you're at least doing your initial job. The thing is, Mrazek is such an aggressive goaltender that he simply cannot match the speed he needs to get across. Howard, however, plays deeper, and gives him that chance. So yes, I think Mrazek was not the blame for today's loss.

The offense did pass up a lot of scoring chances, I thought. Just an observation. Took my girlfriend to her first game, so it's a shame we lost, despite everything.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Most of us are just bopingeto finally get a actual rebuild going and if not by design than for Holland to fail splendidly enough to get some talent infused despite trying to mediocre his way to the playoffs year after year.

OT: our radio commentator was really imptessed by your team. Said you'd be really scary when Girardi returns. Made me chuckle thinking about what hfrangers reaction to that comment would be.

You had until that Girardi comment. :laugh:

They will sure be scary to Rangers fans when Girardi returns. :cry:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Time for an unpopular opinion/observation. First off, AA's backchecking is not hot. Floating around on that first goal... I know he's looking for an odd-man rush to come back his way, but still, isn't this similar to why we're benching Mantha? Just an opinion. Secondly, XO and Jensen looked good. Budding, and improving. Now for the part that'll get me hung: Mrazek played fine.

Yes, I said it. He played well. Two-on-one rushes and backdoor passes are not on the goaltender's shoulders like that. You can't cheat, because if you do, that's a goal almost 100% of the time. By being prepared for the first shot, you're at least doing your initial job. The thing is, Mrazek is such an aggressive goaltender that he simply cannot match the speed he needs to get across. Howard, however, plays deeper, and gives him that chance. So yes, I think Mrazek was not the blame for today's loss.

The offense did pass up a lot of scoring chances, I thought. Just an observation. Took my girlfriend to her first game, so it's a shame we lost, despite everything.

Yup, andreas athanasiou should be the next one to get benched. His game just sporadic at best. But he gets a lot of praise around here for his fancy between the leg shots. :laugh:

He has speed and *some* creativity, but he sucks at playing as a team. He thinks he's a one man show and just doesn't see the ice very well. Extremely overrated player.

And Mr4zek sucks. This was a loss when the coach announced Mr4zek was playing instead of our best goalie...

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Yup, andreas athanasiou should be the next one to get benched. His game just sporadic at best. But he gets a lot of praise around here for his fancy between the leg shots. :laugh:

He has speed and *some* creativity, but he sucks at playing as a team. He thinks he's a one man show and just doesn't see the ice very well. Extremely overrated player.

Good observations. It was also extremely dumb of him to tell reporters getting benched won't make him change his game at all. If Holland had any ability to manage assets he'd ship him off soon while his value is still high.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
You have admit that was our most beautiful ppg all year. Surprised Smith didn't score against us. Lol

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
These post game threads are getting boring to read. So much negativity even where it's not needed haha

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well let's see if we can beat the Avs next. If not I'll be embarrassed and they should be themselves. My god this game is gonna make me nervous. Please for the love of God don't lose to the frickin Avs.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Interesting game. When it was tied up until late in the 2nd the Wings, like vs. Chicago, were playing really well. They had the momentum in their favor and I saw flashes of what had me excited last autumn: speed, tenacity, and decent puck control. Seriously this is a fast team...the problem is speed alone isn't enough to create scoring threats or cover up deficiencies managing the puck. Within the blink of an eye Rangers have 2 easy goals and game over. It's the same story all season, total inconsistency in effort, mental focus, execution, whatever quality take your pick.

I'm digging Russo! He's smallish and unremarkable in any specific area but I don't think I've seen him make a bad mistake...nothing that's led directly to a goal. I know, sheltered minutes, blah blah. Between him, Marchenko, Smith, Ouellet, Jensen, and Sproul I don't see any radical difference. I'm not saying he'll immediately steal a spot but Russo isn't miles behind any of these guys. Sure he's a mediocre talent but it's been a real pleasure watching him quietly nudge his way into the NHL.

Smith is the same old dumpster fire, nice to see that confirmed.:laugh: For the record I watched two other NY games since he was traded. Flailing on Nielsen's goal last night was golden. Like the Wings he's also inconsistent. Makes a good pass then flubs the puck next opportunity. Good defensive work then the same shift a giveaway, etc. He's such a mixed bag. Again I don't see Russo making the same type of lame dumps and blown out passes. Unbelievable with his experience Smith still makes things so hard for himself- the guy has rocks for a brain.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Good observations. It was also extremely dumb of him to tell reporters getting benched won't make him change his game at all. If Holland had any ability to manage assets he'd ship him off soon while his value is still high.

Larkin sucks, Mantha is getting benched, now we have an AA problem. The future looks bright! :shakehead

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It was also extremely dumb of him to tell reporters getting benched won't make him change his game at all.

Where was this said? I'm looking at an Mlive article on him being benched, and he says nothing of the sort.

Larkin sucks, Mantha is getting benched, now we have an AA problem. The future looks bright! :shakehead
Larkin doesn't suck, and we don't have an AA problem.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
No idea why anyone's picking on AA - I can't see any incentive for him to put in the hard work when he's going to get around 13/14:00 a game, with a few random scratches, anyways. Might as well float and try to make his stat sheet look better for the offseason.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Need New Jersey to go on a bit of a winning streak here and we need to keep losing. Benching Mantha is fantastic work. Blashill is a better tank commander than I had initially thought. If we finish bottom 3 I think that guarantees us a top 4 pick? Need to look at the lottery system again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Need New Jersey to go on a bit of a winning streak here and we need to keep losing. Benching Mantha is fantastic work. Blashill is a better tank commander than I had initially thought. If we finish bottom 3 I think that guarantees us a top 4 pick? Need to look at the lottery system again.
Assuming there are at least 3 lottery teams with better records, a given team can fall up to 3 slots (if a team with a better record wins each of the 3 drawings for the top 3 overall picks).

For example, if Detroit finishes with the third worst record, behind Colorado and Arizona, they get bumped to 4th behind Vegas, going into lottery night (but have the same odds as Vegas in each of the 3 drawings).

They could move up to 1, 2, or 3, if they win any of the drawings, but could drop as low as 7, if all 3 drawings are won by teams with better records than Detroit. (Unlikely, but possible. Lottery simulations most frequently have a given team drop 1-2 slots, or stay the same. Occasionally a given team will win one of the 3 drawings, or drop 3 slots.)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Larkin doesn't suck, but I don't think he's going to be great either.

Hard to say, he's still super young.

We are probably in a pretty similar spot with Larkin and Mantha, as Toronto was with Kadri and JVR... before Matthews, Nylander, Marner.

Good young players, but we are going to need to add a few blue chippers still.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Well let's see if we can beat the Avs next. If not I'll be embarrassed and they should be themselves. My god this game is gonna make me nervous. Please for the love of God don't lose to the frickin Avs.

Two points is the difference between getting an NHL ready d-man or another 5 year project. Wings need to lose as many points as possible. Two points could change them from a top-3 pick to picking 7-10th.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Well it would be a bonus if Larkins struggles were at center. At least then we could chalk it up to him transitioning to a more responsible position in the NHL. But no wasted year of not playing Larkin at center for no discernable reason what so ever. So we go into next season with the question of whether Larkin has top 6 center potential completely up in the air. Makes no damn sense. Soon as it became ckear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad