Yay - Habs lose to Senators in Shootout 2-1

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Habs shot a lot, but in all honesty only about 10 were "good" shots at the net, a lot of far shots and slow tips in front with almost no chance of going in the net. Also have to factor in the 5-6 posts we hit since those do not count as shots on goal.

Carey let in a softy, which could've won us the game 1-0.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'd complain about Price, but let's be honest; he only let one goal in. It's ok on that aspect. He was very lucky we didn't get to play against a hotter team though.

As for the rest of the game, a couple of things;

- How did Galchenyuk and Eller not get a single shift in OT before the last minute. I can understand the penalties and everything, but they probably deserved the second wave of the PP way before Plekanec and Gionta

- I wish I understood why a line with Prust, Gionta and Plekanec on it got to play in most of the offensive zone faceoffs, while Cole Eller and Galchenyuk got the defensive zone faceoffs.

- The forecheck was perfect tonight. The Senators will fall back on earth sooner than later. They're a horrible team with a good coach that happen to run on hot goaltenders.

- Get Gionta out of this team. Please.

- Seriously, send him to NJ. Wherever you can. Can't stand his useless efforts on the forecheck anymore. Skates by the player, tries to steal the puck away from him by chipping his stick, skates away at the red line. Yeah. That's what Gionta calls "forechecking". I also wish his shot was a threat. But it's not. He's just useless in every aspect out there. Perfect Jacques Martin player. At least Koivu kept pushing the human limits of his body further and further. I just don't even see Gionta being in the same stratosphere in terms of effort and attitude.

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
I can't count how many times I've heard the follow all season long.

"Gionta can't get the shot away."
"Gionta...high and wide."

Not only that but he's been terrible controlling the puck. He's probably the worst in the Habs for protecting the puck along the boards. Even DD is miles ahead of him right now. It's sad because it's not due to the lack of trying but at some point, you gotta make the tough decision and move passengers to the back of the van.

raz123

Jul 13, 2004
Seriously? Eller has some of the best hands on the team, the only player with better hands is galchenyuk.

Sounds more like an opinion and less like a fact.
I'll believe it when I see it translated in hard numbers.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Well Bishop is part of the Sens too. And take a look at their line up, take a look at the injury list, take a look at the standings.. They are not that bad.

8-9 players in their line up tonight have under 50 nhl games in their career and they still beat us. Give them some credits.

Their goalie is the only one who gets credit in this game. Good on him. But it's hard to argue against the fact that the Habs manhandled the Senators tonight.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Price was disguised as santa tonight but we still should have won it. Those games are frustrating because it's not every game that you dominate for 60 minutes but still lose because the other goalie was in god mode.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The sens played like crap tonight Bishop stole it and Price gave you a christmas present.

The injuries are tough on you guys and so forth but tonight the sens deserved to lose and badly.

The goaltender is there for a reason you know, stop pucks. Tonight Bishop did he's job amazingly well. Our goaltenders are our strength, so proud of our boys.
The Habs played a very good game tonight, but we'll take the 2pts and run.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How come I only see coaching critiques in PGT's when we lose? Certainly the experts can see room for improvement even after a win?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I dont get your post.

The Habs had the killer instinct all night long. When you play against a goalie who could stop 40+ shots and survive two posts, what more could the Habs do?

You cant win them all.

Take the one point, applaud the effort of having outplayed the Senators and move on. Anything else is ridiculous.

exactly

we outplayed them all night long, move on to the next one.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

***** and moan when the team looks like ****.

They played a hell of a great game.

you're unusually positive tonight :)

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
I'd complain about Price, but let's be honest; he only let one goal in. It's ok on that aspect. He was very lucky we didn't get to play against a hotter team though.

As for the rest of the game, a couple of things;

- How did Galchenyuk and Eller not get a single shift in OT before the last minute. I can understand the penalties and everything, but they probably deserved the second wave of the PP way before Plekanec and Gionta

- I wish I understood why a line with Prust, Gionta and Plekanec on it got to play in most of the offensive zone faceoffs, while Cole Eller and Galchenyuk got the defensive zone faceoffs.

- The forecheck was perfect tonight. The Senators will fall back on earth sooner than later. They're a horrible team with a good coach that happen to run on hot goaltenders.

- Get Gionta out of this team. Please.

- Seriously, send him to NJ. Wherever you can. Can't stand his useless efforts on the forecheck anymore. Skates by the player, tries to steal the puck away from him by chipping his stick, skates away at the red line. Yeah. That's what Gionta calls "forechecking". I also wish his shot was a threat. But it's not. He's just useless in every aspect out there. Perfect Jacques Martin player. At least Koivu kept pushing the human limits of his body further and further. I just don't even see Gionta being in the same stratosphere in terms of effort and attitude.

very, very true

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Yeah, I've been a Gio defender, but oh wow, paaaathetic. And he wasn't even good in the game. In fact I think Cole actually did more to help the team. Pleks always sucks in SOs so not surprised there. A little mad that we are wasting all the DD shootout goals since he only has one move and the book will be out on him (forward by Cristobal Huet). I also think that someone as talented as Chucky cannot possibly have that one move. I know it's about being comfortable, but he's only pulled it off once, so it can't be too comfortable. USE YOUR SHOT!!! He's becoming a legitimate NHL force that I feel like I can rip on him a little bit. Gorges's son's attempt wasn't that great either. How do other teams always look like they have a team full of elite shooters?!!

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'd also add; I was worried about Emelin, but ever since he got that grill off his helmet, he's looking much better out there. He's getting excellent at breaking plays at the blueline without overcommitting himself physically. Which is essential in a league where you play 82 games a year.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Price never gonna be a top 5 starter until he wins games like these. I'm sorry but this should have been a win. It should have been a 1-0 win, and he had another chance to win it in the SO but failed.

just curious... who is your top 5 goalie in the NHL right now?

Because you seem to think that every good goalies are always good and never have a bad (1 goal against).

Is Miller, Lundqvist still top 5? Or Halak that never played more than 58 games in a season? Luongo? Brodeur? Fleury? Quick? who came down to earth this season.

There's Rinne who is very consistent but how many of these goalies above deserves a solid top 5 spot?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
A win against the Leafs in 2 days and we don't even remember this lost point.

I just hope the Habs show so fire against the Leafs after that 6-0 embarrassment last game.. If they can't get fired up for that game someone needs to answer some questions.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
fd8tmp.jpg

Maybe I should have tried calling another one :cry:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yeah, I've been a Gio defender, but oh wow, paaaathetic. And he wasn't even good in the game. In fact I think Cole actually did more to help the team. Pleks always sucks in SOs so not surprised there. A little mad that we are wasting all the DD shootout goals since he only has one move and the book will be out on him (forward by Cristobal Huet). I also think that someone as talented as Chucky cannot possibly have that one move. I know it's about being comfortable, but he's only pulled it off once, so it can't be too comfortable. USE YOUR SHOT!!! He's becoming a legitimate NHL force that I feel like I can rip on him a little bit. Gorges's son's attempt wasn't that great either. How do other teams always look like they have a team full of elite shooters?!!
Even when Cole was off, he'd sometimes draw a penalty and get the team on the power play. Gionta? He can't even do that. All Gio is now is Gallagher's mentor/babysitter, and for 5 million, that is quite the overpayment.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Their goalie is the only one who gets credit in this game. Good on him. But it's hard to argue against the fact that the Habs manhandled the Senators tonight.

It's one game, they beat plenty of other teams before. A well coach-team will find a way to win. Who cares if we manhandles them, they are the one that came out with 2 pts. Moral victory much?

They also beat us earlier this season..

Yes a team without their best players due to injuries will not be/look as good.. wow.

I don't see why you have to laugh at them when they beat us twice this season. One with a full line up, one with an almost AHL line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad