Recalled/Assigned: Yannick Weber recalled from Utica

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Somewhat disappointed. I'd have thought Corrado would be the first call-up and was hoping to see him rewarded as such for his fine work during camp. However, Weber did put up solid numbers during his stint with Utica. At the end of the day though, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Our PP has been really good as of late, no idea why we want to change that up right now. Throw him on the second unit for sure though. This is the right call.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
I prefer this. Gives Frankie the time in Utica as the #1 with lots of playing time, while rewards Weber for his point production in the last few games. Makes sense on all fronts.

I'd rather Corrado play top minutes in Utica for this season, then bottom minutes in the big boys club. It won't be long until he's up with the big boys and never goes down again.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We'll see.

There isn't a spot open for him next year, barring a trade, and since most of them have a NTC it might be Corrado who gets moved.

That would have to be on hell of a return to get Gillis interested. I think he needs to be up next year even if he's just part of the 7 man rotation, there are usual a bunch of man games lost. If Stanton proves this good patch is legitimate I'd see if any of the LH D are prepared to move, a Stanton-Corrado 3rd pairing would be cheap and well about league average.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I hope he does get powerplay time on the second unit, and hopefully he gets some time with Garrison 5v5, i think they may be able to work well together though I can see how they may struggle a bit under strong forechecking.

Would have liked to have seen Corrado to see how he is doing but Weber has played well in Utica. Tough choice

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Doesn't really make sense to me that it's not Corrado. The whole 'he needs to play minutes' company line doesn't hold water for me when our NHL club's high minute man is out and needs temporary replacement.

With Edler's 23mins out of the lineup, sure we can ride Hamhuis/Bieksa/Tanev more, but Torts really couldn't find 15+mins of ice time for Corrado out of the whole thing? Don't buy it.

I'd rather take stock of where Corrado's development is at right now as an NHL defender, than see Weber putz his way around 8 minutes a night. If at any point, we're going to use a d-man as 'trade bait', it'd be nice to at least get a look at Corrado in the NHL this year so as to get a better idea of what we've got there right now. And Edler being out seems like a perfect opportunity for that. I couldn't care less about 'rewarding' a guy like Weber either...

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I hope he gets a fair shot on the powerplay, was reading something earlier and he took some shots at mgmnt, along the lines of " i've been watching tapes of sami salo and how he unleashed his "big shot" on the powerplay, thats what they signed me to do". Hope he gets his wish and produces on the powerplay

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I hope he gets a fair shot on the powerplay, was reading something earlier and he took some shots at mgmnt, along the lines of " i've been watching tapes of sami salo and how he unleashed his "big shot" on the powerplay, thats what they signed me to do". Hope he gets his wish and produces on the powerplay

I said it when he was signed, and i'll say it now...Why?

What's the point of giving Weber a 'shot' on the PP? Even if he could provide a boost to that unit, which i'm not sold on...a reliable, effective PP unit needs some consistency. You can't have an allegedly 'important' component of that unit going in and out of the lineup from game to game and still expect consistent production from the group. So that means Weber would have to be in the lineup every night, as a regular.

Out of our 'healthy' 6-man blueline...who does Weber replace as an every night defender? Nobody. That's who.

So figure out how to make the PP work with the players we actually want in the lineup every night...or change that group. Bringing in a spare part fringe NHLer to Temp on the PP for a while isn't all that helpful in the long run, and probably not even very helpful in the short run either.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Doesn't really make sense to me that it's not Corrado. The whole 'he needs to play minutes' company line doesn't hold water for me when our NHL club's high minute man is out and needs temporary replacement.

With Edler's 23mins out of the lineup, sure we can ride Hamhuis/Bieksa/Tanev more, but Torts really couldn't find 15+mins of ice time for Corrado out of the whole thing? Don't buy it.

I'd rather take stock of where Corrado's development is at right now as an NHL defender, than see Weber putz his way around 8 minutes a night. If at any point, we're going to use a d-man as 'trade bait', it'd be nice to at least get a look at Corrado in the NHL this year so as to get a better idea of what we've got there right now. And Edler being out seems like a perfect opportunity for that. I couldn't care less about 'rewarding' a guy like Weber either...

I think what this Weber call-up says is that they are more comfortable giving Tanev the top 4 minutes rather than Corrado right now. For the sake of bottom pairing minutes, they would rather leave him down and give Weber or Alberts 6-8 mins. I think this talk in the pre-season of calling him up if a top 4 went down was just to keep his hopes up. It could have been genuine but their confidence in Tanev has grown because he's a good shot blocker despite some coverage gaffes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad