Confirmed with Link: Yandle's Rights to FLA for 6th + Cond. 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
So instead of 7+, he'll get 9-10.

If the cap goes up, contracts will too. In fact, the cap hasn't moved and the contracts are already skyrocketing.

Toews got 10.5. You can make an argument that Derick Brassard has been a better player the last two years.

So we'll see in 2019 and compare the % of each contract against the cap.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Yandle/Stralman 10.8 mil cap hit.
G/Staal 11.5.

That hurts. Cap hit for Yandle is 100% in the expected range. Term is 1-2 years longer than I'd have liked for any team. I love the players that Staal and Girardi were for us but it is frustrating that our management never really caught on to the importance of mobile puck movers. A relic Boyle hardly counts. Went and spent a fortune on Yandle to hardly utilize him. Let Stralman walk and he has flourished with the talent in Tampa and now Yandle will likely flourish with the young talent in Florida. Staal, Girardi, McIlrath, Skjei, Klein, McDonagh. Nowhere near enough skill on that blue line. Very limited puck moving depth. Almost no offensive potential. Just not dynamic at all. Skjei and McDonagh are the only ones who even have exceptional mobility.

KreiderHouseRules*

That hurts. Cap hit for Yandle is 100% in the expected range. Term is 1-2 years longer than I'd have liked for any team. I love the players that Staal and Girardi were for us but it is frustrating that our management never really caught on to the importance of mobile puck movers. A relic Boyle hardly counts. Went and spent a fortune on Yandle to hardly utilize him. Let Stralman walk and he has flourished with the talent in Tampa and now Yandle will likely flourish with the young talent in Florida. Staal, Girardi, McIlrath, Skjei, Klein, McDonagh. Nowhere near enough skill on that blue line. Very limited puck moving depth. Almost no offensive potential. Just not dynamic at all. Skjei and McDonagh are the only ones who even have exceptional mobility.

Spot-on.

While PIT's defense doesn't look great on paper, they all have above-average skating and mobility and can get the puck out of trouble either by skating it out or passing it out. Letang, Maatta, Doumolin, Daley, Cole, even Lovejoy.

Ugh.

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
That's a very fair deal for Yandle. I would've given him that in a heartbeat. He's going to be a monster in Florida.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
That's a very fair deal for Yandle. I would've given him that in a heartbeat. He's going to be a monster in Florida.

If I felt like the team could compete during his tenure I would've been fine giving it to him, but it would not have been worth it with the ways things look going forward.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thats a lot of money for Yandle. I think Florida regrets it in a couple years. The cap isnt going up like it is in the NBA. He'll be getting nearly 10 pct of the cap. A bit much.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yandle got a great deal. No state income tax in Florida. Add another $300,000-$400,000. Like Ryan Callahan who got $5.8M from TB and was down to $6.1M-$6.2M for the Rangers before they went in another direction. He wanted a minimum of 7/$45M and Yandle got it.

There was a connection between the Panthers and Yandle. Florida was always confident it would get down.

Bad contract.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I knew people would be saying this is a bad contract. Predictable.

Can't wait to see the opposite reaction when McDonagh gets more in 2019. HFNYR showing their homegrown bias again.

Because it is a bad contract. I'm glad we stayed away.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Every UFA term is questionable. Welcome to free agency.

People who can and will get lifetime contracts don't take three years because they're philanthropists.

I guarantee you McDonagh's next deal takes him to 37, 38.

Which then make sense to stay away from the big fish.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So 4th and 6th not terrible for a guy who was gone anyway

It's going to be a bad contract in the final years alla Campbell

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So 4th and 6th not terrible for a guy who was gone anyway

It's going to be a bad contract in the final years alla Campbell

Imagine if they traded Yandle at the deadline and not gone for Eric Staal, just take the loss.

2016 Draft: 2nd round pick still, added a potential 1st
Added a prospect like Dano.

Now, we lost Saarela, 2 second-round picks and have a 4th in 2017 and a 6th this year

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Imagine if they traded Yandle at the deadline and not gone for Eric Staal, just take the loss.

Now, we lost Saarela, 2 second-round picks and have a 4th in 2017 and a 6th this year

We'd have probably got waxed in the first round by the Penguins anyway but OTOH some people would have been complaining we didn't go for it and undercut our chances by trading Yandle. You know that would have happened too--don't you? There's always the opposite side and there always those who will complain whether they do A. or whether instead they do B.

That being said the Staal deal was atrocious. The Rangers overestimated how good they were. Got banged up a bit before they even hit the playoffs and then matched up with the hottest team going into the playoffs---and Eric Staal pretty much was a passenger/non-entity. There was a certain inevitability to our collapse. Almost every single thing the Rangers did from the point of bringing Eric Staal to the team until the final meltdown in the playoffs turned into a negative.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, of course people always find something to complain about but this team was not Eric Staal away from winning the Cup. This team was Keith+Doughty+Kane+Tarasenko away from winning the Cup

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Good first deal in the Summer of Gorts.

Correctly gauged that Yandle would sign in FLA, and got a 4th and 6th for a guy who could talk to anyone in a week, and whose nearest comp (a day earlier) only got a 5th. Did not give a 7-year contract with an NMC to a player entering his thirties on a team that needs to reset/retool/rebuild/retrench/re-whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Did not give prime-position-player AAV to a guy his coach has identified as a luxury (i.e. a defenseman he doesn't trust for defensive zone starts). Good decision not to re-sign, good compensation achieved.

NOTE: this does NOT mean I think it's a bad deal for FLA! Two teams in two totally different places. The Cats HAVE their young core, they're mostly young, and mostly on good deals. He's a luxury they CAN afford on a team that SHOULD be going for it in the next year or two.

Let us see what else the Summer of Gorts has in store for us...

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Good first deal in the Summer of Gorts.

Correctly gauged that Yandle would sign in FLA, and got a 4th and 6th for a guy who could talk to anyone in a week, and whose nearest comp (a day earlier) only got a 5th. Did not give a 7-year contract with an NMC to a player entering his thirties on a team that needs to reset/retool/rebuild/retrench/re-whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Did not give prime-position-player AAV to a guy his coach has identified as a luxury (i.e. a defenseman he doesn't trust for defensive zone starts). Good decision not to re-sign, good compensation achieved.

NOTE: this does NOT mean I think it's a bad deal for FLA! Two teams in two totally different places. The Cats HAVE their young core, they're mostly young, and mostly on good deals. He's a luxury they CAN afford on a team that SHOULD be going for it in the next year or two.

Let us see what else the Summer of Gorts has in store for us...

Agreed on all fronts. Next 48 hours should be interesting to say the least.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Still upset they didn't move him last deadline, but good for Gorton turning rights in to two picks.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

That's horrid asset management. At least they got something for him, they made out about as well as they could, but still should've moved him before the trade deadline when the return would've been much better.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Still upset they didn't move him last deadline, but good for Gorton turning rights in to two picks.

Agreed all around. Given where they were this was a good move

And yes - in the later years this could be a bad contract. Same story as every top tier UFA deal ever. If it puts your team over the top in the near years - great. If not..we all can answer that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Agreed all around. Given where they were this was a good move

And yes - in the later years this could be a bad contract. Same story as every top tier UFA deal ever. If it puts your team over the top in the near years - great. If not..we all can answer that.

You are right. People keep bringing up the last 2 years. Teams that sign guys nearing 30 as a ufa are not dumb. They are hoping for 5 good years of the player knowing the last 2 years might be a declining player. Florida has had luck with older players in Jagr, Campbell, and Luongo.

This is why Stamkos at 26 is a unusual situation. A 7 year contract only puts him at 33 when it ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad