Value of: Yandle to MTL

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The biggest problem is Yandle has one extra year in term vs Leddy and we are only interested in them as bridges for our young LD. Whoever retains the most between Yandle and Leddy makes it attractive for the Habs. But Yandle has to be willing to waive his NMC. Honestly, I think Leddy's skating and puck entries fits our team better.

Ya his buyout of the last year isn't appealing as well. Just don't see how we go into next year with both Matheson and Yandle on the team eating up over $11 million and both can't defend to save their lives.
Don't blame ya for going after Leddy, he's still a decent top 4 guy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya his buyout of the last year isn't appealing as well. Just don't see how we go into next year with both Matheson and Yandle on the team eating up over $11 million and both can't defend to save their lives.
Don't blame ya for going after Leddy, he's still a decent top 4 guy.

Cost/Rewards formula in terms of the Habs paying a futures price to bridge the gap for our young LD's like Romanov, Harris, Norlinder, Struble.

I don't hate Yandle. Just think Leddy's skating might fit better. We are horrible on our PP zone entries and he might help that area a lot. Leddy also flourished with Boychuck and slipped in numbers when Boychuck got old and declined. I think Weber is a perfect for for Leddy

If the Islanders ask for too much or don't want to retain? Then maybe we consider Yandle cause I think Weber or Petry would be a good fit. Will he waive his NMC? No idea

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Cost/Rewards formula in terms of the Habs paying a futures price to bridge the gap for our young LD's like Romanov, Harris, Norlinder, Struble.

I don't hate Yandle. Just think Leddy's skating might fit better. We are horrible on our PP zone entries and he might help that area a lot. Leddy also flourished with Boychuck and slipped in numbers when Boychuck got old and declined. I think Weber is a perfect for for Leddy

If the Islanders ask for too much or don't want to retain? Then maybe we consider Yandle cause I think Weber or Petry would be a good fit. Will he waive his NMC? No idea

I know Romanov has top #3/4 potential but what about those other 3?
Mete slowly losing his spot on the depth chart if he doesn't pick things up offensively?

Yandle may want to play for another original 6 team, doubt he speaks any french but that hasn't stopped others.
Not saying these teams want or can afford him but feel ARI, NYR, BOS, MON would be on his list, among others.
Ultimately if he isn't moved this off-season, feel we may pay SEA/DET/OTT etc to eat some of his cap, we retain some (get him under $5 mil per) and trade him with 2 years left. Would hate to have to protect him and possibly lose Weegar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know Romanov has top #3/4 potential but what about those other 3?
Mete slowly losing his spot on the depth chart if he doesn't pick things up offensively?

Yandle may want to play for another original 6 team, doubt he speaks any french but that hasn't stopped others.
Not saying these teams want or can afford him but feel ARI, NYR, BOS, MON would be on his list, among others.
Ultimately if he isn't moved this off-season, feel we may pay SEA/DET/OTT etc to eat some of his cap, we retain some (get him under $5 mil per) and trade him with 2 years left. Would hate to have to protect him and possibly lose Weegar.

- Most know Romanov. If I am picky, I have a hard time finding flaws in his game.
- Harris is having a very good draft +1 and +2 and played for the US this past WJC. He is one to watch. Great skater and can play both sides. Very solid all around game.
- Norlinder has a high offensive ceiling and needs to learn how to be reliable in his own end. Norlinder can also play both sides.
- Struble is a athlete and skates very very well for a big man. He had a decent draft +1 playing NCAA at the age of 18 this past year and was picking up steam in the 2nd half. He's another one to watch and might crack the US for the next WJC. Very strong young boy

Mete? I keep going up and down on him. His skating is among the best but he has to produce offense if he is going to last in the NHL. His neutralization ability is limited in his own end down low and along the wall... due to his size. Can he bust out offensively? Maybe with a new coach and more maturity. He's only 22 and a lot of D don't even make the NHL at that point yet. Not a big fan of undersized D me to be honest but some people are fine with it.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I really don't think Weber has that many years left in him I think hes got maybe 2 years max before we start seeing an even bigger decline to his game but I may be wrong and he turns into Chara also you have to remember he has been injured the past few seasons so hes pretty banged up already on top of the normal wear and tear. I think Gallagher needs to be resigned regardless if we tear it all down or not we need some veterans and hes perfect for it but again If a deal is offered that we can't pass up he should be moved.
Return on Gallagher be big.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dont see him getting moved until closer to expansion draft if he does at all.
Big locker room guy, hasnt missed a game in a decade and if you can forgive his defensive lapses, hes a top 5 PPQB in the league.

We need to add a D, not subtract one.
I don't see him much any more, but my beef was always the unseemly giveaways-- the risky passes right through the gut that got picked off and ended up in the net. His actual defense and positioning was pretty good.

If you end up losing Hoffman and/or Dadanov, any interest in a Yandle-Kessel trade? Slightly higher cap, but you shave a year's worth of teem.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't see him much any more, but my beef was always the unseemly giveaways-- the risky passes right through the gut that got picked off and ended up in the net. His actual defense and positioning was pretty good.

If you end up losing Hoffman and/or Dadanov, any interest in a Yandle-Kessel trade? Slightly higher cap, but you shave a year's worth of teem.

Ya he's still doing those giveaways, he's very high risk/reward. More risk for the most part.
His defense has gotten worse, he avoids any physical contact and often moves the puck to any teammate and sometimes handcuffs them just to get the responsibility of his stick in the DZ.

I may do that trade just to possibly open up a spot on defense and feel Kessel could pick up his offense again if paired with Barkov. Not a fan of the higher cap hit but one less year is tempting.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I know he's kinda old, but our winning window is while Weber and price are still in shape, and Yandle almost as old as them. And right, i was just wondering if some panthers fans would agree to trade him
Guy, Habs have no winning window.

Not for another few years minimum.

They are not winning anything in the next 3 years and bythen WebberPrice are gone or taken over in the line-up.

If all the team's "top" prospects hit their potential and Habs end up drafting an actual offensive star (think point per game player) then they will contend and have a window, but it won't be for at least another 4 to 5 years.

Get serious! Yandle won't get this team to the next level FFS let alone make the Habs a cup winner.

Reactions: habsfan891

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Guy, Habs have no winning window.

Not for another few years minimum.

They are not winning anything in the next 3 years and bythen WebberPrice are gone or taken over in the line-up.

If all the team's "top" prospects hit their potential and Habs end up drafting an actual offensive star (think point per game player) then they will contend and have a window, but it won't be for at least another 4 to 5 years.

Get serious! Yandle won't get this team to the next level FFS let alone make the Habs a cup winner.
I think Habs fans lost sight of what is important. It isn't to just make the playoffs its to actually compete for a cup. Hoping the Habs barely make the playoffs and start off a "Cinderella" run isn't a damn strategy we aren't going to get another Halak run get real Habs fans that was a very rare thing that happened and we didn't even make it to the cup finals that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad