• Yams

Votes: 61 46.2%
  • JP

Votes: 71 53.8%

• Total voters

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
I like both players a lot, but it’s Puljujarvi for me. They are probably close today, but Jesse’s ceiling is still very very high IMO. If he improves his timing and starts finishing at a decent rate he could become a bonafide 1RW. His defense is clearly better than Yamo’s as well.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The one who's 6'4" with good analytics. Puljujarvi seems like he would still be able to contribute to an NHL roster even if he doesn't reach his draft potential. If Yamamoto doesn't turn into a legitimate, consistent top 6 winger you don't want him on your team.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
garnet-yam.jpg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I voted for Yamo because he’s the one that will be with the team long term. JP has the higher potential but as of today Yamamoto is the better player.

We can look at different analytic models that say JP is better but when you’re star centers pick Yamo over JP as a line mate and the coach puts the 5’7 player on the PK over the 6’4 player then that’s a huge tell on who the organization thinks is better.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think there is a very good chance they both price themselves off the team in the next two years. If Yamamoto gets $3.5M he is the guy I would trade first. But I would be very surprised if the Oilers don't deal JP before Yamamoto.

Reactions: Oil53 and Oilhawks

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Where’s the “who cares” option? Neither are more than complimentary players that are heavily zoomed for McDrai and do nothing on the third line
Meh, I feel like too many people would choose that option simply because they don't want to choose one over the other & it's "easier" than actually choosing one. I guess if you really don't care, you just don't vote...

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think there is a very good chance they both price themselves off the team in the next two years. If Yamamoto gets $3.5M he is the guy I would trade first. But I would be very surprised if the Oilers don't deal JP before Yamamoto.

Yup, they’ll be made redundant by the cheaper prospect wingers and UFAs that want to give it a shot for a Cup (or another, like Kessel). Both will have to consider taking less to stay long term.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This is the correct answer. I’m not against either player but as soon as they hit this 3M per, they both need to bring a lot more to the table.

You can make arguments for either of them but it really comes down to which of them is willing to take less to stay. Neither make enough of an impact on their own to get paid market value here, and their contract situation might actually be harming the Oilers from grabbing some guys that will be hungry to prove themselves (like Barrie and Kane) in Rodrigues and Milano, who both could be better players as well

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Yamamoto is definitely the better player right now, but Puljujarvi has a way higher ceiling. But he could never reach full potential so do you gamble? I would take Puljujarvi potential over Yamamoto with out a doubt

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I put Yams. He more consistent with his work ethic, good on the Pk, and creates a large number of PP opportunities.

JP probably has more trade value, so the pieces you get back, whether draft picks, or prospects, can be peddled at the deadline to acquire more roster help. Or keep the prospect cupboards some what stocked.

So in conclusion, imo, keeping Yams, and trading JP would be most beneficial I'm the long run

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This is definitely an oversimplification. The JP vs Yamamoto debate has a lot of factors. They are two very different players, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

JP started the season on a heater and proved that he is the superior player when he is on his game. I think he has Nuke like potential down the road. The problem is that by all accounts his teammates prefer to play with Yamamoto and isnt really a fit here in Edmonton. However, that doesnt mean the coaches and should keep an inferior player and it's their job to do what they think is best for the team. JP clearly has some mental aspects of his game he needs to figure out. It almost seems like when he hits a challenge he doesnt know what to do and loses his confidence. Given his homerun potential I think hes the asset you want to keep.

Having said that, it's more likely that they keep Yamamoto. Sure the team seems like him and he adds some fire/energy but he still needs to prove himself as well. Yamamoto can try as hard as he wants but hes never going to be able to do the things JP can do. Yams doesnt have the speed needed for a smaller guy at the NHL level to get past defenders or be elusive enough to deke them out. Its frustrating when bigger defensive teams just walk right through him. Maybe he finds another level or reinvents himself a bit but right now hes basically just capitalizing on McDavids and Draisaitls playmaking. I think he also needs to work on his shot more if he wants to build a reputation as a sniper.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Want neither at 3M per...
Brown would have been perfect.

Josh Anderson @ 3M per for Puljujarvi

Barrie+ Yama for Dumba with some retention

Add Kessell

Profit

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It’s tough. Puljujarvi definitely has the more appealing “package” and higher upside, but I feel like Yamamoto is much more likely to be willing/able to adapt his game should his upside not pan out. Not sure I see that with Puljujarvi.

Let’s not forget Yamamoto was also drafted a year later than Puljujarvi. Jesse always gets all this credit for being young and developing, a benefit that few ever seem to give Yamamoto despite him being younger.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Hardly irreplaceable players. Not qualifying either would have been an acceptable option. Could have had approximately 6.5-7 million extra in cap space to explore the free market.

That's a 5/6 defenceman, a top six winger, at least equivalent to Puljujarvi or Yamamoto, and some bottom six depth.

At least Puljujarvi isn't going to get smashed into oblivion when the games get heated so for the sake of argument I'll vote poolparty as the keeper. If he improves only by a fraction he becomes a hard to acquire commodity.

I'd trade them both for upgrades along with picks, other roster players and magic beans to improve the team to get into contention. Use them all to get McDrai some Stanley Cups. Enough pretending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad