News Article: YAKUPOV ICETIME - Interview between Gregor and Krueger

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
How could he have been worse?,

Its starting to look like Tambo took the home town discount hiring a coach.

Tambo: 'Ralph we are firing Tom, you will be the new HC.'
Ralph: 'How much of a raise?'
Tambo: 'Do you you really need a raise?'
Ralph: 'No, how about a bonus if we hit .500?'
Tambo: 'Deal'

LOL

Funny thing is, i can see this actually happening

:cry:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Awful, just awful! Give him his old job back and let him learn under a real coach. I want Lindy Ruff!

Oct 15, 2008
Would Sutter have been a better coach if we hired him last year?

Serious question

Only if he had complete control. Coach and gm. No more Lowe, Tambellini, Mactavish. None of it. He would need to be able to make player personnel decisions and get rid of the passengers as he saw fit. That is exactly what he did in Red Deer this season. Took a bottom feeder team and turned them into a contender. All in one season.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
yakupov has 2 more OT GWG than everyone one else on this team combined x 1000. even if he is 100% to blame for the 2 goals against he is still even +/- in OT. i have supported kruger hoping he was smarter than he sounded but this interview makes him a joke. unless his plan all along was to sound this way and make everyone think he is a mong, in that case he a jeanious

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Like I said a few weeks back, I really believe one of the major reasons Kreuger was given the job was because he was the only one they interviewed who did not want to cut out Buchberger and Smith and bring in his own assistants.

Sutter would have wanted his own handpicked guys, I'm sure. If Renney was let go during this season with Ruff out there and available, Tambellini and Lowe would have still promoted Kreuger to the HC gig because Ruff would want his own assistants. At this point, I'd rather see Ron Wilson behind the bench, that is how much I'm starting to dislike Kreuger.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
this team need fire and controversy

fire the lot of them, hire burke or someone of his ilk and go find ted nolan and let a coach that everyone hates take a team everyone hates and make them winners.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Keenan? ;)

Props to Gregor for not holding back on the questions.

Almost like a diplomatic HF interview.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
The things Kreuger brings to the table I'd rather see him do as an assistant gm or executive director of player something or other. Would promoting him be an option? The Oilers never seem to lack room at the top and it may help them divert some of the optics of changing coaches so often.

I really want to rant about how on earth the same management team can be somehow allowed to go so long and be so bad but that's another battle.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The things Kreuger brings to the table I'd rather see him do as an assistant gm or executive director of player something or other. Would promoting him be an option? The Oilers never seem to lake room at the top and it helps them divert some of the optics of changing coaches so often.

I really want to rant about how on earth the same management team can be somehow allowed to go so long and be so bad but that's another battle.

People piss and moan about the "old boys club", give Smyth a job because he's Smyth? Let him go home, get over it.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
People piss and moan about the "old boys club", give Smyth a job because he's Smyth? Let him go home, get over it.

In almost all cases I totally agree with you. But with Kreuger I think he is valuable in a number of roles that are not the head coach. Such as according to some reports he helped seal the deal with J Schultz. So keep him as a recruiter or something that he's good at to get him neatly out of a role that he sucks at.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yakupov is erratic as heck when he doesn't have the puck. He runs around like a chicken with its head cut off.

It would be nice to see him get a little more ice time, but I think any head coach trying to win hockey games would be giving him the same treatment.

I bet his ice time will increase down the stretch when the Oilers are hopelessly out of the playoff race.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
People are giving far too much credence to verbal comments imo. Kreuger makes some strange comments, and I haven't liked a lot of it either.

But I try to separate that versus gradual strides I'm seeing on the ice. People grossly underestimate how hard it is to coach this club. Krueger several times has pointed out that some of the players on this club tend to be immune to coachable moments except when they're losing. This is a problem, sure, but it is with players approach, and attitude towards the game and how much each individual player is willing to give.

We have several players on this club that don't consistently give their best and don't see a need to through several coaches. This has more to do with sense of entitlement within org, and management, and a lack of accountability.

Chronically on this club we have a lineup where multiple players have indifferent commitment to allround play. So when I finally see defensive strides starting to occur in a team that is very stubborn to the need for this I'm thinking the coach is getting through to a very stubborn bunch that thinks skill alone moves mountains.

The whole problem for a coach in this org is you always know who's head is going to be on the chopping block. So do the players. Think about that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yakupov is erratic as heck when he doesn't have the puck. He runs around like a chicken with its head cut off.

It would be nice to see him get a little more ice time, but I think any head coach trying to win hockey games would be giving him the same treatment.

I bet his ice time will increase down the stretch when the Oilers are hopelessly out of the playoff race.

Yeah, I love Yak but the things he does without, or even with the puck are often a large mystery.

The learning curve is big for him not because of his skill level but because he doesn't always resemble a player thats ready for this degree of pressure.

You never know how a player is going to respond to the NHL but Yak looks like a guy that is way overexcited and is having problems slowing his roll. He's a basic nonstop frenzy of random action out there most nights and I would say nerves and excitement just getting the better of him.

This is fine, he's really young, and he will calm down. I'd rather a player be too jacked then not at all. The trouble for Yak right now is every neuron is firing and he could be going in 3 diff directions at the same time. Its sometimes comical.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ok since Tampa has hired Cooper as head coach... that's one excellent coach off the market. Oilers missed the boat on him. Still leaves Ruff available though.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
The interview almost makes it sound like he was told to coach to lose for another high pick, while showing slight improvements in standings so it appears that the oilers are not tanking.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Honestly I've said it before... Yak likely has ADHD :) and I'm only half joking.

He plays the game with a style that makes it tough for his teammates to know what he's going to do next. Obviously he makes a lot of turnovers due to his inexperience and his chaotic passing/skating which results in passes made to nowhere.

The upside is when he gains experience and gets better and learns to harness that chaos... and once his teammates develop chemistry with his style of play, he'll be dynamite as his extremely fast passes and his shot release will lead to unstoppable goals.

I can see the need for a coach to temper his style and yes I see why giving him 18 minutes a night wouldn't be prudent when it would likely cost a lot of goals against... BUT he also has to be unleashed in situations where he can be used to possibly mount a comeback or win a game.

Down by a goal with 10 minutes to play... put him in there on a regular rotation. OT... double shift him. Shootout.. why not.

Let his learn and earn his icetime in situations where he can make a difference. Yes he'll be a big minus player... so what. He'll also likely win a few back as well AND likely give the team some energy and momentum.

Think back to those goals he scored early in the season when he was given the rope to try and do something... the rest of the league was *****ing and moaning about his unclassy play... why? Because he was scoring goals when given the opportunities.

I want more unclassy goal scorers on the Oilers that opposing teams and fans ***** about... not less.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
We are not a meat and potatoes hockey club no more. And the players that were can't handle the abuse no more. If we were a winning hockey club, yakupov would see more minutes. And the kid needs minutes. Hate to say it, St. Louis showed these boys how playoff ready they really are. I hope they come back with that "we can beat anyone" attitude in the rematch. Krueger doesn't get a long enough season to reinvent the wheel here and unfortunately won't be fired for at least another season if he turns out to be a dud.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
Disgusting. Maybe we are intentionally giving up the lead in the third so we can get to the shootout.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Disgusting. Maybe we are intentionally giving up the lead in the third so we can get to the shootout.

That's exactly how it works... hang back with a 1 or 2 goal lead and go into a defensive shell... and they just open the door wide open for other teams to assert themselves and tie it up and send it into OT where opponents either win or beat the Oilers in a shootout.

It's so obvious even dummies like me can see the pattern happening over and over.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
That's exactly how it works... hang back with a 1 or 2 goal lead and go into a defensive shell... and they just open the door wide open for other teams to assert themselves and tie it up and send it into OT where opponents either win or beat the Oilers in a shootout.

It's so obvious even dummies like me can see the pattern happening over and over.

Maybe I needed to add one of these. :sarcasm:

Thought it was obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad