News Article: YAKUPOV ICETIME - Interview between Gregor and Krueger

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Basically confirms the two things I can't stand about Krueger.

- plays not to lose because "they believe in their ability to win in penalty shots"

- any time Smyth/Petrell get promoted, we're on "the red side" where we have no intention to score, just play defense.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
So basically unless we're up by 3 or down by 3 in the third, Yakupov's not going to see any time late in games. Seems like Ralph forgot about the big goals Yak was scoring early in the year. I could understand sheltering Yak if we were a good team and scoring lots of goals but we're neither and I'd rather have Yak give away the game trying (like Hall did the other night) then watching a bum like Smyth get pyloned for the game tying or game winning goal. It's not like anybody else is playing well either defensively so they should just go for it.

I hope they just hurry up and fire him already. I want a man to coach our team not a wuss. Play to win. Paaja-Gags-Yak was an effective line for the past few games so of course they broke it up. Getting harder to stay in love with this team each passing day.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
hahahahah what the ****!!! so he would rather take it into shootout than win it in overtime? seems kind of stupid considering dubnyk has been absolute **** this year in the SO.

He is confident in our shooters though...maybe he doesn't realize that it goes both ways. Even if we CAN score in the SO, we need to stop the GA in the SO.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yep. We've got the most OT/Shootout losses in the league. Reaaaal confident in our ability to take games past regulation, hey? :shakehead

Worst coach in the NHL.

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
damn. looking at the replies i'm wondering if i should even listen to this? LOL i'm actually in a good mood at work today so i don't want to jeopardize it

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
"he understands that it’s just not his time yet. It was no different when we went back a few years to the roles that Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle had to now being able to play in those minutes."

I'm pretty certain that neither Hall nor Eberle were consistently benched in the 3rd period of games during their rookie seasons.

Eberle and Hall were both rookies in 10/11:

Eberle - 14:27 ESTOI/g
Hall - 15:26 ESTOI/g

RNH, last year: 14:33 ESTOI/g

Yakupov, this year: 11:28 ESTOI/g

He's either got a very bad memory, or an outright liar.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
"he understands that it’s just not his time yet. It was no different when we went back a few years to the roles that Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle had to now being able to play in those minutes."

I'm pretty certain that neither Hall nor Eberle were consistently benched in the 3rd period of games during their rookie seasons.

Eberle and Hall were both rookies in 10/11:

Eberle - 14:27 ESTOI/g
Hall - 15:26 ESTOI/g

RNH, last year: 14:33 ESTOI/g

Yakupov, this year: 11:28 ESTOI/g

He's either got a very bad memory, or an outright liar.
He's a true politician. A conjurer of revisionist history just like the idiot GM who hired him.

OntOilFan

Aug 9, 2006
The problem with promoting the assistant coach of a last-place team to head coach ...

Gee, who saw this coming?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It bugs me to read that Kreuger has a very set plan of how he's gonna use his forwards and who he's gonna play. Doesn't sound very responsive to in game dynamics. Why not just play a guy more when he's playing well? Players are inconsistent so take advantage when a guy is going. Doesn't really surprise me though given the way Kreuger handled Paajarvii when he stepped up his play but it took Kreuger several games before Paajarvii saw increased opportunity. Also I HATE that he says he has a hierarchy. That's just another way of restricting yourself Ralph. But it's okay because then you don't have to make tough decisions and can stay inside your box.

Also does Kreuger not remember Yakupov's 2 big goals at the beginning of the year at crunch time? Does he not watch how crappy Smyth plays and how slow he is?

It makes sense that Tambo would hire Kreuger seeing as Kreuger is slow to respond and overly conservative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad