Recalled/Assigned: Yakimov Recalled, Klefbom Assigned to OKC

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So no one is seeing the humour in having 3 centers with a total of 46 NHL games played, or is this not a laughing matter?
I laughed about this back in July when it became clear Mactavish wasn't going to bring anybody else in. Now I just shake my head at the absurdity of The GM's decisions.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Unfortunately, it IS a sign of a growing team.

I think the main issue for fans of the Oilers is that we've been watching them grow for a while now, and the patience is wearing paper thin. Which I totally understand.

And you're bang on about the Gags trade and not replacing the 2C with a decent stop gap.

In management's defence though (because I'm one of the few that is willing to actually defend them), they were totally aware of the situation. Eakins and Mact both said that they were going in with 2 NHL centers. This issue is not totally lost on them, especially MacT.

Wish I could read their minds with not signing one of the C's that were previously available in the summer. But I can't. All I can do, you and all other posters as well, is project why they didn't pull the trigger on the trade.

And therein lies another slight issue, mainly to do with open forums based on hockey. Every poster is going to spin this in the way that they feel about management. The media will as well.

Anyways, I sure hope that the rookies and young guys can get it together enough to be competitive.

So far they have been.
The only two explanations that make sense to me are:

1) Mactavish made the decision to tank the season to try and land McDavid or Eichel.

2) Mactavish really thought this team could be competitive with what they had after he beefed up the wings and he brought in the defensemen he believed were difference makers.

Not sure which is worse as a fan.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why? Those guys won't go after the twins and pukes like Hamhuis or Kassian won't fight.

Pretty dumb of Nuge to drop the gloves, just like it was dumb of Hall to fight Dorsett. Hall learned his lesson and that there are better ways of getting payback, hopefully RNH does the same.
Yeah, this is pretty much it. It needs to be used as a learning experience for him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I've been watching all the games o far. There is no way we beat Buffalo and especially Florida for the McDavid sweepstakes (assuming last place gets first pick). Florida looks downright terrible and Buffalo looks just as bad. You guys wanna see horrid defense and next to no motivation? Watch these 2 teams, way too funny

You forgot about Carolina. They look like a serious contender too. We might be tanking for nothing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm talking about guys that play the minutes, that are out there consistently. Until our top 6 and our top 4 d start pushing back this team isn't going anywhere.
This seems to be completely overlooked on here. More and more every year. Our defenseman are not remotely physical enough for one thing and our top six are no where near gritty enough to compete. Our first line especially, they struggle scoring 5 on 5 and they bleed goals the other way in addition to being pushed around. It used to be discussed a great deal but in the past year it seems like it's a forgotten issue.

The roster needs some tweaks to get some strength on that top line.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
[/B]

most absurd of all being Eakin's hiring
The biggest one for sure but only one of many. We're still stuck in the Tambo days only now we're spending more money to be there. This team reminds me of where we were in 2008-2010 era where we were spent to the cap with a bunch of guys who couldn't win and many bottom end guys signed to long term contracts at over market value.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The only two explanations that make sense to me are:

1) Mactavish made the decision to tank the season to try and land McDavid or Eichel.

2) Mactavish really thought this team could be competitive with what they had after he beefed up the wings and he brought in the defensemen he believed were difference makers.

Not sure which is worse as a fan.

Time will tell Moose......... Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad