Player Discussion Yak Talk Part IV: It's nearly time... For camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Good teams wouldn't have drafted him in the first place though. That's why drafting 1st overall is so hard. He's year was brutal to have a 1st overall as well.

First overall, you had your OHL scouts saying no to Yak

Second overall was a guy who really didn't have that pedigree of being a #1 d-man and could've ended up being a second pairing guy.

Then third overall you have a guy coming off a major injury.

It was really a year to just drop to 4 or 5 and take one of the 7 or 8 d-men along with whatever assets you would've gotten. But even if that did happen, people probably are still complaining about the 2012 draft.

The Nuge draft was yet another one where you were kinda going to take heat. Do you take RNH/Huberdeau while good they really were two boys that needed development and not to be rushed. Or do you take the safer pick in Landeskog who has a lot of tools, but was a guy you'd think would be a 20g-30a on average?

It just sucks sometimes because 1st overalls are generally sure fire NHL the following year, but clearly a lot of them could use 1-2 years somewhere else before hitting the NHL. Yet if you don't play in the NHL you are gonna be viewed as a bust after one year. It's actually getting to the point where this applies to top 3 or even 5 picks.

But those are the issues you see when a franchise hasn't thought things through before making decisions and just hope one guy will save the franchise.

Columbus scouts would have taken Murray 1st OA if they won the lottery. They had some concerns about Yakupov. As for RNH, he was the clear cut 1st OA. He just needs his breakout year but I think it will happen soon.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
In general, drafting the BPA hasn't exactly worked out for the Oilers...

Nonsense.

Other than Yakupov, who were the big misses, exactly? Looking at the Hall and RNH drafts, there's not much there that would have changed the fact that the rest of the team was trash.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Katz will fund the Microwave Phone project and we will be then able to send D-Mail to redo our mistakes.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Pretty sure Griffin Reinhart or Curtis Lazar would have been our targets if we traded down... We were screwed regardless.

Im okay with what we got... Butterfly effect and we dont get McDavid if we did anything different.. The team is set to be a force for atleast the next 5 years.
Hopefully Yakupov is part of it.. If not then Oh Well! Like I have said many times no need to bash one of our own .. Best of luck to Yak.

Would have saved us the 1st and 2nd we later used to acquire Reinhart so there is that. :)

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Was watching these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHaCWGparw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=domd3DS81Ws

For someone who doesnt have great hockey IQ (which I would also admit), he at least seems like he has some pretty good hockey instincts from the videos. Really makes you wonder how much of its Hockey IQ and how much of it is confidence and other factors.

Except on that 1st vid, 3rd goal where he coasts like always back and makes the play offside. That would have been called back last year.

15 min of vids doesn't show hundreds of minutes without the puck unfortunately. My guess is that's what coaches are frustrated with

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Except on that 1st vid, 3rd goal where he coasts like always back and makes the play offside. That would have been called back last year.

The one against Columbus where the puck never leaves the zone? That's a weird interpretation given how many replays they showed.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hockey sense could be what prevents Nurse from being a top tier player. Difference is he brings other variables that are valuable to a team.

Yak? I'm at a complete loss as to what exactly he brings to the hockey team that warrants keeping him around. Doesn't score, can't play away from the puck, can't play with 10/11 of the forwards on the team, etc.

Have you seen a single shred of evidence in Yakupov's NHL game that leads you to believe that he has good NHL hockey sense? Anything at all?

He brings literally nothing.

He's incredibly dangerous when he has the puck. He draws in defenders and he utilizes his body well to protect it. As a result, he creates scoring opportunities. Obviously when the puck doesn't end up in the net these kind of things routinely go unnoticed.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The one against Columbus where the puck never leaves the zone? That's a weird interpretation given how many replays they showed.

No. sorry after that. The one against Car where if you watch, he is 2 ft from the dman and takes his sweet time at an attempted forecheck behind the net, then he takes a Sunday stroll up ice till it comes back but he actually touches it offside as he doesn't clear the zone.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Was watching these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHaCWGparw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=domd3DS81Ws

For someone who doesnt have great hockey IQ (which I would also admit), he at least seems like he has some pretty good hockey instincts from the videos. Really makes you wonder how much of its Hockey IQ and how much of it is confidence and other factors.

wait a minute.......

Watching that first video and Nail looked fast and aggressive and led the team in goals scoring.........

Then he put on #10, all of horcoffs brain farts and stone hands and ineptitude all seeped into nails skin and ruined his ability.

If im coach TM im coming in and making Yak #64 again or any damn number but skill sucking 10

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
How has he been garbage compared to his peers? He's in the top three points scored from his draft class. His play away from the puck has improved.Albeit not a pace anyone should be content with. Now compared to his peers as 1st overalls? Yeah he's at the bottom of the list. But 2012 was weak draft class.

Again, other than Grigorenko, which player picked in the top 15 in the 2012 draft would you not trade Yakupov for straight up?

The fact that you avoided the question tells you all you need to know.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Man I would trade Nail for that outfit lol. Awesome to see him bonding with the new guy. I hope Nail does have a good season, but not holding my breath

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Man I would trade Nail for that outfit lol. Awesome to see him bonding with the new guy. I hope Nail does have a good season, but not holding my breath

Yup.. I can defend his play but no words for that sweaterish garment he has on his upper body..

I think he would gel with a Puljujarvi too..

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I still don't get it lol, calling a Swedish guy a Swedy (sweetie?), was intended to be jokingly xenophobic/racist? Anyways it doesn't matter, I haven't gotten much sleep the past 3 days and I'm pretty dumb.

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
Again, other than Grigorenko, which player picked in the top 15 in the 2012 draft would you not trade Yakupov for straight up?

The fact that you avoided the question tells you all you need to know.

Who I wouldn't trade Yakupov for. This list is just my opinion.

2.Ryan Murray. Imo underwhelming like Yak
4.Griffin Reinhart. Good player.But drafted too high
8.Derrick Pouliot. Ok numbers but i think yak is better player
10.Slater Koekkoek. As far as I know still in junior. I could be wrong.
13. Radek Faksa. Another good young player but not as good as Yak

So there are some players I wouldn't trade Yak for. I agree with other posters who say we should of traded down and take one of the defenceman. It was a position of need.And that year was known for having a plethora of good D-man. Why is that HF posters know more then our previous 2 GM?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yak at 20 was probably as consistent as Drai at the same age, which is to say not very much at all.

Fun fact: Yak at Draft+2 had almost identical PPG numbers as Drai while being a year younger.

So....you speculate that Draisaitl may have been as consistent as Yak and then you try to close it off with a 'fun fact' (as you put it) but yet you conveniently overlook the fact the Draisaitl was and is learning a position thats much harder than just playing the wing.

I brought him up?

You did indeed...the point being that its a dubious comparison at best.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Below is an excerpt from a Gregor interview with Hendricks. What does that have to do with Yak?
Yak should print the bolded part at the bottom and read it at least once every day until he completely understands the meaning.

Gregor said:
Your role, do you see it changing at all? Do you think with veterans like Maroon and Kassian who weren’t here at the start of last season, that now there will be more defined role for a lot of guys heading into camp than in previous years?

Hendricks: Yeah, I think so. I think for each player, each individual it’s their job to recognize that. You’ve got to recognize your role changes from year-to-year and team-to-team depending who you’re playing for. I think once camp opens up here and things kind of start working themselves out you’re going to be able to notice that. Is it going to be more of a penalty killing role for me, not as much of a five-on-five role, time will tell. I’ve played in that situation on other teams in the past. Is it going to be more faceoff driven or defensive zone driven? I’ve been on teams like that in the past as well. Time will tell what your role is going to be, what your niche is going to be on a team, but we’ve got to iron things out in camp and start feeling it out and seeing where they drop I guess.

***Every player wants to play as much as they can, but accepting your role, whatever it is, and doing it the best is what happens on successful teams. This is an attitude more players on this team need. It doesn't mean you can't want a bigger role, but instead of complaining about linemates or icetime, play great when you are on the ice and the coach will notice. Hendricks understands this.***

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Hendricks quote is fair enough, but I can understand the frustration when Yak is buried on these bottom lines. He, the fans and the media will always view him as the former 1st overall pick. He could push possession and play good shifts down there, but as long as the points don't pile up he's going to be criticized.

For everyone's sake, I really hope the puck goes in for him right out of the gate.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
was watching these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhacwgparw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=domd3ds81ws

for someone who doesnt have great hockey iq (which i would also admit), he at least seems like he has some pretty good hockey instincts from the videos. Really makes you wonder how much of its hockey iq and how much of it is confidence and other factors.
god dammit dallas eakins!
ape4.jpg

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
god dammit dallas eakins!
ape4.jpg

Eakins didn't ruin Yak. What a cop out. Draiasaitl, Hall, Ebs, RNh, not ruined by Eakins. Is Yak different? Last I checked several other coaches also hated Yak's game, including his coach in the KHL, when he scratched him.

Eakins sucked no doubt, but ruining Yak, ya right. Reach a little further

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Eakins didn't ruin Yak. What a cop out. Draiasaitl, Hall, Ebs, RNh, not ruined by Eakins. Is Yak different? Last I checked several other coaches also hated Yak's game, including his coach in the KHL, when he scratched him.

Eakins sucked no doubt, but ruining Yak, ya right. Reach a little further

Blame is on the player as well, but you can't seriously think that a coach who almost EVERY SINGLE other player on the team regressed under had nothing to do with the development of promising kid with a good rookie season.

And news flash, LD had like what? 10 points in 41 games under Eakins? He's not ruined yet, but he would definitely be on his way had he gotten more exposure to Eakins.

But yes, of course, it's a reach to say that a coach who is known around the league to be a joke could be somewhat responsible for Yakupov's poor development.

And also about your coach comment... Lots(?) of coaches, POST-Eakins had bad things to say about yak. Before Eakins came yak had one NHL coach - and he didn't do too bad under him did he? But again, its so unreasonable to think that Eakins may have had a part in stunting development. I guess yak just took a dumb pill over the summer and that's why he's horrible now. Had nothing to do with the environment he was in, it was all his fault. I guess the great debate of Nature vs Nurture is solved you guys.

Give me a break. I don't think you understand how development works. Do you actually believe what you just typed?

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Blame is on the player as well, but you can't seriously think that a coach who almost EVERY SINGLE other player on the team regressed under had nothing to do with the development of promising kid with a good rookie season.

And news flash, LD had like what? 10 points in 41 games under Eakins? He's not ruined yet, but he would definitely be on his way had he gotten more exposure to Eakins.

But yes, of course, it's a reach to say that a coach who is known around the league to be a joke could be somewhat responsible for Yakupov's poor development.

And also about your coach comment... Lots(?) of coaches, POST-Eakins had bad things to say about yak. Before Eakins came yak had one NHL coach - and he didn't do too bad under him did he? But again, its so unreasonable to think that Eakins may have had a part in stunting development. I guess yak just took a dumb pill over the summer and that's why he's horrible now. Had nothing to do with the environment he was in, it was all his fault. I guess the great debate of Nature vs Nurture is solved you guys.

Give me a break. I don't think you understand how development works. Do you actually believe what you just typed?

come on. 2 years with a bad coach and a 1st over all is ruined? he's 22 year's old, FCOL. If he is any good he should be able to over come Eakins.

:banghead: sigh. the excuses for this kid is just.... nauseating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad