Player Discussion Yak Talk Part IV: It's nearly time... For camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You've seen a few instances and assume the player is always like this. If that were true you can be certain the coaching staff would be done with him. If that were true, his back-check would not have improved. If that were true, his possession numbers would not have improved. Outside of those few documented instances, he has acted as a true professional.

If your last bit were true, he wouldn't be in the lineup. But I can assure you, if Nail isn't traded prior to game one, he will be on the starting roster.

I have not seen one instance where Yak has been able to play through adversity. I have not seen one instance where Yak has taken criticism and used it to motivate himself and improve his game.
On the contrary I have seen, read and heard about multiple instances where Yak has responded in a very self serving manner with criticism, lack of ice time. line mates he didn't think were worthy of his talents...etc etc.
I mean why would a player think its a good idea to practice by himself during a team practice? Does he think its going to show that he is a team player?
I mean how stupid can he be?

I would be happy to revisit my position if you could provide something tangible that contradicts any of these points.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

More like a trend. Hall and Eberle have suffered through the worst of the worst years yet they never went public about trade demands. Yak has done himself zero favours and doesn't show much commitment to the Oilers off the ice.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Its the same arguments over the last 4 summers. Crazy. Everyone wanted Yak play on the 1st line RW then, saying he was better then Eberle.

Nothing has changed with the player other than a 4 year sample size to prove hes just not good at the NHL.

These 20 games stints over that time doesnt justify hes good when given the chance. You can cherry pick any players 20 games every year for 4 years to prove hes good. Good thing the NHL doesnt work like that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
More like a trend. Hall and Eberle have suffered through the worst of the worst years yet they never went public about trade demands. Yak has done himself zero favours and doesn't show much commitment to the Oilers off the ice.
Yup. One instance. lmao.

Can you source all these claims?
I could, but why would I spend my morning digging through google to satisfy the interests of folks who haven't been paying attention?

Yakupov has complained about coaching, ice time, line mates. I quoted one of his little whines directly from the long, amusing blog post (linked above) that was supposed to be defending the player. So even his defenders concede that he complains a lot. Heck a few seasons back he complained that nobody gives him a ride to practice ffs.

Lack of responsibility? Several reports have surfaced about Yakupov refusing to do what he is asked of him. Poor practice habits were also reported on. Plus if you watch the games you see a player who takes no responsibility at all for the way he plays. But we have a dozen videos of yakupov 'training' held up as prooof of how hard he works. What I notice is that he is alone in all of the videos.

Trade requests? These are common knowledge.

“Absolutely. As far as I know trade has come very close. I've been out of a suitcase. Me and my agent Igor Larionov were given permission to talk to other teams. A number of teams were interested. But at the last moment something went wrong. And I'm still here.â€

Love that bolded part. Sounds like a guy we really want to utilize on the first line with our best talent. :sarcasm:

Larionov and Yakupov went the me-me-me route. “We’re willing to make a move. Any team.†That was 65 games, less than a full season, into Yakupov’s tenure in Edmonton. That’s pulling the chute pretty quick in my books.

After 65 games this little whiner was already trying to check out. Imagine if he faced real pressure like say what Hall or Eberle or RNH have put up with for season after season. All the fortitude of a grape on this kid, honestly.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I have not seen one instance where Yak has been able to play through adversity. I have not seen one instance where Yak has taken criticism and used it to motivate himself and improve his game.
On the contrary I have seen, read and heard about multiple instances where Yak has responded in a very self serving manner with criticism, lack of ice time. line mates he didn't think were worthy of his talents...etc etc.
I mean why would a player think its a good idea to practice by himself during a team practice? Does he think its going to show that he is a team player?
I mean how stupid can he be?

I would be happy to revisit my position if you could provide something tangible that contradicts any of these points.

Provide something tangible? You've given me a **** ton of hyperbole. Am I just supposed to take your word for it that you've been sitting in the stands during his practices?

You've read and seen a few (sometimes vague) articles and interviews about him *****ing about ice-time, usage and the like and have decided this is what he's always like. I get it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Have Hall and Eberle ever had to play extended stints on the bottom six?

Can we stop comparing them?

The point I'm making is he produces with offensive minded centers (Roy, Gagner, McDavid). He hasn't produced with limited offensive minutes.

He'll always be responsible for what he does on the ice, but the coaching staff is responsible for his usage.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oh please. :help:

You have been posting a lot of nonsense and presenting it as fact. Please do show your work and illustrate exactly how Eberle has been an inconsistent scorer. While your at it do the same with my points about Yak. Illustrate how they are inaccurate.

Was Ebs not terrible when he played on the 3rd line? Then went onto play with McDavid and finally showed some life. Both are one dimensional and when coupled with skilled players, their skill level shows. Both are dependant of who they play with. You're lying if you don't think Ebs doesn't need a skilled player to be effective

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Was Ebs not terrible when he played on the 3rd line? Then went onto play with McDavid and finally showed some life. Both are one dimensional and when coupled with skilled players, their skill level shows. Both are dependant of who they play with. You're lying if you don't think Ebs doesn't need a skilled player to be effective

So let me get this straight? Yak hasnt played the PP with skilled players? Why is it that he sucks on the PP also? Maybe he just sucks all the time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Have Hall and Eberle ever had to play extended stints on the bottom six?

Can we stop comparing them?

The point I'm making is he produces with offensive minded centers (Roy, Gagner, McDavid). He hasn't produced with limited offensive minutes.

He'll always be responsible for what he does on the ice, but the coaching staff is responsible for his usage.

But that's just it. He "produces" at the rate of a third liner. Hasn't cracked 20 goals in a season for a guy touted as a 40+ goal scorer.

Roy isn't in the NHL anymore and Gagner is not far off either. Calling them offensive minded is a bit much. Yakupov doesn't drive the play, he doesn't drive the net, his shot is inaccurate as hell and he's just plain unreliable.

It's easy to say just play him with McDavid but even in his stint he didn't score all that much. Never mind Eberle, he's also been eclipsed by Maroon. Yak just doesn't bring it often enough to be considered for a top 6 position.

This a guy the Oilers drafted to score goals and he's producing less than guys we're bringing in on PTOs. Yeah Mark Letestu isn't Connor McDavid, but Yakupov isn't exactly elite either. His game doesn't work at the NHL level and it's irritating to see that he hasn't attempted to change or adjust it. There's more than one way to score a goal in the NHL and Yakupov hasn't figured that out yet.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

So ur summing Ebs career based on what? maybe 5 games with Letestu?

He's produced with every C he has ever played with other than Letestu, and that was a small sample. Sorry, Ebs doesn't need superstars to make him look good. He can do that on his own.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not one person on this board has explained the Yak does good with skilled players argument with me. Hes been playing on the PP for years on this team with our best players and has been doing squat with it. He might actually look worse 5X4 then 5X5. Nah changed my mind hes terrible every situation.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Roy isn't in the NHL anymore and Gagner is not far off either. Calling them offensive minded is a bit much. Yakupov doesn't drive the play, he doesn't drive the net, his shot is inaccurate as hell and he's just plain unreliable.

It doesn't matter where Roy or Gagner are today. It irrelevant.

It does matter because he did produce in those instances.

He scored like a third-liner because he was a third liner for a healthy chunk of the season when he wasn't injured.

Play him with creative players and he produces.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

He scored like a third-liner because he was a third liner for a healthy chunk of the season when he wasn't injured.

Not so says the PP. Sorry.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

But Yakupov needs them a hell of a lot more than they need Yakupov. We shouldn't have to try to accommodate a player who has shown very little in the past 4 years.

Which player in the current top 6 is he better than? What are his strengths?

Patrick Maroon scored 8 goals in 16 games, Yak did the same in 60. The much maligned Purcell outscored Yakupov in 61 games. Pouliot scored 14 in 55. That's three wingers right there that did better than Yakupov.

Yakupov doesn't bring anything to the team that Versteeg couldn't.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
But Yakupov needs them a hell of a lot more than they need Yakupov. We shouldn't have to try to accommodate a player who has shown very little in the past 4 years.

Which player in the current top 6 is he better than? What are his strengths?

Patrick Maroon scored 8 goals in 16 games, Yak did the same in 60. The much maligned Purcell outscored Yakupov in 61 games. Pouliot scored 14 in 55. That's three wingers right there that did better than Yakupov.

Yakupov doesn't bring anything to the team that Versteeg couldn't.

Maroon was amazing with time with McDavid no doubt. If I had to put the players in order of effectiveness with McDavid. Its Maroon>Pou>Yak>Ebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad