Yahoo ranks Quick the #1 NHL starter. We're #1 *****es!

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I put together a blog over at HockeyBuzz just breaking down some relevant statistics between Quick And Lundqvist since there was SO much talk about it in my previous blog (Regarding the goalie list) and on the interwebs. I think we're at about 900 votes on the poll and right now it is SUPER close last I checked.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/Quick-vs-Lundqvist/179/53081

This whole Quick vs. Lundqvist debate...it's actually got some really good angles to argue from both sides. Just thought i'd share!

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
You gotta give Hank his due for his consistency. When it's playoff time Quick has undeniably proved that he's the best, but for regular season you gotta go with Lundqvist for now. Though I expect Quick will rebound and he's gonna put up around .925 percentage and 2.10 gaa, and if he gets 45 W's Vezina is his. But we know which prize he has the most desire to win so :nod:

In the end both NYR and LA are lucky they have the top two in the world. It's useless bickering online about who's the best. I also expect Smith to get back in conversation, but don't hold that against me :laugh:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You gotta give Hank his due for his consistency. When it's playoff time Quick has undeniably proved that he's the best, but for regular season you gotta go with Lundqvist for now. Though I expect Quick will rebound and he's gonna put up around .925 percentage and 2.10 gaa, and if he gets 45 W's Vezina is his. But we know which prize he has the most desire to win so :nod:

In the end both NYR and LA are lucky they have the top two in the world. It's useless bickering online about who's the best. I also expect Smith to get back in conversation, but don't hold that against me :laugh:

Hank is more consistent in the regular season, no doubt about it, but that also comes with more years playing. He's got 3 or 4 more full seasons under his belt and in time I see Quick doing the same. But when it comes down to it, playoffs still count the most. I'm just happy after more than a decade of scrub goalies, we have one who is in the conversation of the best in the league.

As for Smith, keep that hatchet wielding goalie out of this conversation.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hank is more consistent in the regular season, no doubt about it, but that also comes with more years playing. He's got 3 or 4 more full seasons under his belt and in time I see Quick doing the same. But when it comes down to it, playoffs still count the most. I'm just happy after more than a decade of scrub goalies, we have one who is in the conversation of the best in the league.

As for Smith, keep that hatchet wielding goalie out of this conversation.

The bigger problem I have with the overall conversation is that going back a year to when Quick dragged this team and its 29th-ranked offense kicking and screaming through the regular season to a playoff spot (losing what, three games in which he had a shut out?), it was all about Lundy is better because of wins and his team is a #1 seed. Fast forward a year, and the cup doesn't matter because it's a team game and how can Lundqvist be asked to carry his team? Plus, quick had an "off" regular season so regardless of the playoff Lundqvist is greater. Even though according to Rangers fans their team is now horrible and has no business being in any game save for Lundqvist because he gets no goal support...you know, the same argument they threw AGAINST quick the previous season.

Argh. Just avert your eyes from "that thread." Double-standard city. Rangers fans hurt my brain.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The bigger problem I have with the overall conversation is that going back a year to when Quick dragged this team and its 29th-ranked offense kicking and screaming through the regular season to a playoff spot (losing what, three games in which he had a shut out?), it was all about Lundy is better because of wins and his team is a #1 seed. Fast forward a year, and the cup doesn't matter because it's a team game and how can Lundqvist be asked to carry his team? Plus, quick had an "off" regular season so regardless of the playoff Lundqvist is greater. Even though according to Rangers fans their team is now horrible and has no business being in any game save for Lundqvist because he gets no goal support...you know, the same argument they threw AGAINST quick the previous season.

Argh. Just avert your eyes from "that thread." Double-standard city. Rangers fans hurt my brain.

Perfectly said.

This has been my main argument too.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Perfectly said.

This has been my main argument too.

Same here. They claim he's the best, yet every playoff series they lose, there's always an excuse, whether it's lack of offense or Torts defense not doing its job , blah, blah, blah. As I told my friend who a Rangers fan, Hank can go 60-0 in the regular season, but going 5-7 [30-37 career ] in the games the count the most doesn't makes him the best. The best win when it counts the most, no matter what the circumstances are.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yep, go ahead and read my post on the main board thread in response to one fan who said enough with the playoffs stats etc., when people say Quick is better. Somehow, because Hank had the same save percentage as Quick in this year's playoffs, in less games, mind you...they were equal in performance. And when confronted with the same logic they routinely spout, but in reverse, he refutes my claim that Quick was undeniably better than Hank over the last 2 playoffs season as non-factual. Who in their right mind could even think over the last two postseasons anyone was in Quick's stratosphere?

The Ranger fan rule are as follows: 1) Hank is the best goaltender in the league. 2) Their defense is the best in the league. 3) If the Rangers lose, proceed to throw defense under the bus. 4) When arguing Hank's superiority, cut and paste regular season stats from hockeydb.com. 5) When confronted with Quick's superior playoff stats, claim stats are team dependent.

Like it or not, Hank fans, the playoffs are the true test and Quick now has a reputation of being a wall come playoff time. Quite a few analysts referred to Quick as the best in the game during the post-season. Hank doesn't have that reputation come playoff time. Dude needs to earn it, like Quick has.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Yep, go ahead and read my post on the main board thread in response to one fan who said enough with the playoffs stats etc., when people say Quick is better. Somehow, because Hank had the same save percentage as Quick in this year's playoffs, in less games, mind you...they were equal in performance. And when confronted with the same logic they routinely spout, but in reverse, he refutes my claim that Quick was undeniably better than Hank over the last 2 playoffs season as non-factual. Who in their right mind could even think over the last two postseasons anyone was in Quick's stratosphere?

The Ranger fan rule are as follows: 1) Hank is the best goaltender in the league. 2) Their defense is the best in the league. 3) If the Rangers lose, proceed to throw defense under the bus. 4) When arguing Hank's superiority, cut and paste regular season stats from hockeydb.com. 5) When confronted with Quick's superior playoff stats, claim stats are team dependent.

Like it or not, Hank fans, the playoffs are the true test and Quick now has a reputation of being a wall come playoff time. Quite a few analysts referred to Quick as the best in the game during the post-season. Hank doesn't have that reputation come playoff time. Dude needs to earn it, like Quick has.

I agree.

Whats funny is that I don't see many Kings fans saying that Hank isn't a truly great goalie, only that JQ has been better the past two seasons.

Really, both are truly great but JQ is just better and his playoff performances are a big part of what makes him better.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Conn Smythe > Hart > Vezina
:)

Jonathan-Quick-Stanley-Cup-Final-Game-6-Kings-vs.-Devils_photo_medium.jpeg

20130513_lbm_sb4_149.0_standard_352.0.jpg

145299922_display_image.jpg

scryan

May 1, 2013
Wasn't there a thread somewhere about if Quick could handle the pressure of being #1 for team USA?
Such a weird though given the Quick is generally better under pressure.

Only thing I am waiting to see is how Quicks style will translate to bigger ice, he relies a lot on gap control to the shooter to take away the top of the net with how low he plays, and with a bigger sheet of ice he is effectively stuck "deeper" in net...

Do hope to see him hold it down for 'murrica though. Hopefully he gets the opportunity and is successful, would love to see him put on a show on a olympic stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad