Value of: Y. Svechnikov to Carolina

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Nice fan theory, but the acquisition of Jared wouldn't even complete a troika of Staal's. It'd be another year before Jordan would be acquired from Pittsburgh.

Even so, I can't find anything anywhere where the Canes even had the faintest interest in trying to snag Marc from the Rangers.

You can't find it because you are a wings fan.

So you clearly weren't there a few years back when they literally put Eric, Jordan and Jared all on the same line to start the game against the Rangers. Marc was hurt at the time and was in the press box but the message was clear, and the team was very interested in getting him as our defense was crap at the time.

Either way, the point is we don't need any more brothers on the team. It ruined Eric, we don't need this guy ruined.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
With Larkin, Rasmussen, and Veleno, their focus is solely on defensemen with top-pairing potential.

Has Rasmussen been playing down the middle in junior? Any lineup projections for Detroit I've seen with him in have him on the wing.

Anyways that doesn't really address what they'd be willing to do with Svechnikov though as he won't return that type of D

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The Russian spelling doesn't include a y at all.

Are you talking about Svechnikov specifically or the name Evgeni because most Russian first and last names I've seen that start with E start with a Y internationally

This is top 3 most off topic I've been on this website

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
To the red wings it does.

You don't trade a kid that had a down year but has shown potential for peanuts because his brother plays on the other team.
No it doesn't. That doesn't meant they want to trade him. But his draft position means Jack to the Wings and means less to th Canes. Draft position only means something to fans who over value their teams players because the can't let go of an inconsequential piece of info due to the overhyped emotions of draft day.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
You can't find it because you are a wings fan.

So you clearly weren't there a few years back when they literally put Eric, Jordan and Jared all on the same line to start the game against the Rangers. Marc was hurt at the time and was in the press box but the message was clear, and the team was very interested in getting him as our defense was crap at the time.

Either way, the point is we don't need any more brothers on the team. It ruined Eric, we don't need this guy ruined.

No, I wasn't there, but there's this thing called the internet that has a gazillion of even the faintest whispers of trade rumours all over it, which is the only way Carolina would've been able to acquire Marc.

Yea, Carolina barely gets media attention, but the Rangers do, and I'm finding nothing from either side. I'm finding a bunch of snippets from fan sites like this, but nothing from anybody who actually make or have even the shadiest sources close to those that make the decisions.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No, I wasn't there, but there's this thing called the internet that has a gazillion of even the faintest whispers of trade rumours all over it, which is the only way Carolina would've been able to acquire Marc.

Yea, Carolina barely gets media attention, but the Rangers do, and I'm finding nothing from either side. I'm finding a bunch of snippets from fan sites like this, but nothing from anybody who actually make or have even the shadiest sources close to those that make the decisions.

Do you even Boolean Logic, bro?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Nice fan theory, but the acquisition of Jared wouldn't even complete a troika of Staal's. It'd be another year before Jordan would be acquired from Pittsburgh.

Even so, I can't find anything anywhere where the Canes even had the faintest interest in trying to snag Marc from the Rangers.
Obviously it was a long time ago, but there definitely was a time the Canes were rumored to be interested in Marc. Of course it’s all heresay and speculative. I can’t prove it any more than anyone else can, and I don’t think it was ever on the table in any way. The canes defense was crap, we liked Marc, and the old guard of this team adored bloodlines and loved the Staals.

And the three we had did play together on a line for part of one game.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Has Rasmussen been playing down the middle in junior? Any lineup projections for Detroit I've seen with him in have him on the wing.

Anyways that doesn't really address what they'd be willing to do with Svechnikov though as he won't return that type of D
Rasmussen was drafted as a center and played the majority of 2017-18 as a center. The main reason that he's projected to start as a wing is because they expected to have all of Larkin, Zetterberg, Nielsen, and Helm playing this season. Even potentially without Zetterberg, they'll have Larkin and Nielsen playing in the Top-6, and they'd rather Rasmussen break into the NHL in a position to be an offensive threat.

Right now they're not in a position to trade Svechnikov, so the current speculation just doesn't make sense. I just wanted to share that DET would probably shoot down any offers involving a center, since they don't need one until/unless they see what they have in Rasmussen/Veleno. At the very least, they would contemplate something involving a good defenseman.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Obviously it was a long time ago, but there definitely was a time the Canes were rumored to be interested in Marc. Of course it’s all heresay and speculative. I can’t prove it any more than anyone else can, and I don’t think it was ever on the table in any way. The canes defense was crap, we liked Marc, and the old guard of this team adored bloodlines and loved the Staals.

Yeah but I spent the entire day hunched over the internets instead of going to work like everyone else and couldn't find any wikipedia citations or Canadian hockey media stuff about a team it hates or one of the like 10 articles the local newspaper wrote about the team so arrrrrggabababababa

Reactions: bleedgreen

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yeah but I spent the entire day hunched over the internets instead of going to work like everyone else and couldn't find any wikipedia citations or Canadian hockey media stuff about a team it hates or one of the like 10 articles the local newspaper wrote about the team so arrrrrggabababababa

Did you tell your employer this when they asked why you can’t make it? That sounds like a fun conversation :laugh:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For stat-watchers: He was injured early on in the year. He played great after taking time off to heal. He had a slow start when he was called-up, too, and he was great in the last couple of weeks he played in the NHL.

Detroit would be a fool to sell low. He's worth far more than his statistics in 2017-18 suggestively show you.

FYI: It's Evgeny (or "E.") Svechnikov.

I suspect that Detroit always knew he'd be a longer-term prospect than most 1st rounders. I don't think they're even considering giving up on him at this point.

Malkin's name is technically Yevgeni Malkin. I actually didn't know this until a few months ago. For whatever reason the Y gets dropped over here.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

There's also the fact that the Canes were prepared to take Marc at #3 if Johnson had been off the board at #2 in 05... yes, seriously.

In retrospect they probably should have taken him over Johnson anyway.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
I'm sure they'd take him at a reasonable price, but if you're trying to get them to overpay just to have his bro I doubt they're interested like that. He's been struggling and is a buy low asset right now, I don't think you get more value from the Canes than from anyone else.

I liked him as a prospect though. I think Detroit's best option is to slow develop him and see if he turns a corner. Old Detroit would do just that, wait until he's overripe even if it takes years. There's no reason to give up on him yet, he has time.
He's had injury issues and started to pick it up at the end of the season. Def still worth a shot I think

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There's also the fact that the Canes were prepared to take Marc at #3 if Johnson had been off the board at #2 in 05... yes, seriously.

In retrospect they probably should have taken him over Johnson anyway.

That's a mighty nice "fan theory" you have there sir. Was it pray tell derived from "gazillions of snippets" that exist in the series of tubes upon which we rely upon so greatly?

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2