Value of: Y. Svechnikov to Carolina

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm sure they'd take him at a reasonable price, but if you're trying to get them to overpay just to have his bro I doubt they're interested like that. He's been struggling and is a buy low asset right now, I don't think you get more value from the Canes than from anyone else.

I liked him as a prospect though. I think Detroit's best option is to slow develop him and see if he turns a corner. Old Detroit would do just that, wait until he's overripe even if it takes years. There's no reason to give up on him yet, he has time.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Id love him on Edmonton. Lets leave Carolina out of this and work out a deal.

I've proposed this many a times before:
Nyquist (50%) + E.Svechnikov
For
Top 10 Protected 1st + 3rd + Caggiula

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wings still value him as a future top 6 F. Had a rough year last year after being good the year before. Dealt with some injuries and Wings are hoping that's the reason for his down year. Regardless, there's no reason to move him for scraps, still some upside there.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

For

Not bad, would want something else other than Caggiula (pick or prospect), but protected 1st + 3rd would be a ok base.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Not bad, would want something else other than Caggiula (pick or prospect), but protected 1st + 3rd would be a ok base.
Maybe a d prospect like Jones, but then we'd have to send ya Zach Kassian for money reasons. Cant just take on 2m without sending anything back.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Gauthier?

Both underachieving prospects that might benefit from a change of scenery

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think I'm going to start a thread about the value of having all the Sutter brothers/sons/cousins/uncles/nephews being employed or playing for the same team. Oh yeah, then they need to move the team to that town they are all from. Just because.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Doubt the Wings ship him out on his own without giving him a chance to develop. Could see him as a piece in a larger deal for a defensemen/1st though.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
For stat-watchers: He was injured early on in the year. He played great after taking time off to heal. He had a slow start when he was called-up, too, and he was great in the last couple of weeks he played in the NHL.

Detroit would be a fool to sell low. He's worth far more than his statistics in 2017-18 suggestively show you.

FYI: It's Evgeny (or "E.") Svechnikov.

I suspect that Detroit always knew he'd be a longer-term prospect than most 1st rounders. I don't think they're even considering giving up on him at this point.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He has all the tools to become good NHLer , the only thing is missing it's speed. Sure he can work on it and I hope he will fix it. His brother very fast should be in the blood.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
No, we would not. JR is long gone. We’re done collecting brothers just because.

I mean, is Scott Niedermayer not the all time standing example of why it might be more than 'Just because'? Because if brothers want to play together it's wiser to acquire the lesser one cheap than risk the holder of the lesser one luring the better one away?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit’s been kicking tires on Faulk and Svechnikov would certainly be a piece of that deal. No way they move him just to move him. His rookie AHL season and NHL callup show his potential.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
For the record, both Svechnikov brothers grew up as Detroit fans, and want to win a Stanley Cup together. I think it's more likely that Andrei ends up in Detroit someday, unless Evgeny ends up as a disappointment. I think Evgeny and Zadina will end up on Larkin's wings and become a dangerous 1st line in a year or 2.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

For

Probably fair(ish) value right now but it just doesn't make much sense for Detroit.

If Nyquist ~~ 1st/two 2nds there is not much point in dumping Svechnikov for a 3rd and a bottom 6er.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Trevor Carrick maybe? seriously, you're not gonna get a ton from us for him.

OP ain't a Wings fan. Actual Wings fans know Evgeny is at his lowest point value-wise. He's worth more to the Wings than anything they'd get in return.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
For stat-watchers: He was injured early on in the year. He played great after taking time off to heal. He had a slow start when he was called-up, too, and he was great in the last couple of weeks he played in the NHL.

Detroit would be a fool to sell low. He's worth far more than his statistics in 2017-18 suggestively show you.

FYI: It's Evgeny (or "E.") Svechnikov.

I suspect that Detroit always knew he'd be a longer-term prospect than most 1st rounders. I don't think they're even considering giving up on him at this point.

Russian spelling starts with a Y, at least typically.

I presume Detroit's focus is more on center prospects and defencemen with top pair potential, but maybe a swap for McKeown?

Svechnikov definitely has more potential upside than he does value right now, and with Zetterberg unlikely to play and Nyquist likely to be traded Detroit probably isn't in any hurry to deal young scoring talent

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I would NOT want Evgeny Svechnikov on the Canes. Nothing against the players potential or him as a person, but I wouldn't want the headache of how the "other" brother would feel is one is cut or traded in the future. We've been down that road before and it is just a pain in the ass.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think I'm going to start a thread about the value of having all the Sutter brothers/sons/cousins/uncles/nephews being employed or playing for the same team. Oh yeah, then they need to move the team to that town they are all from. Just because.

There have been several articles published over the past 2-3 years where Andrei repeatedly gushes about his older brother, says he dreams of playing with him, that they’re best friends, etc. That, combined with the notoriety (whether deserved or not) of signing and retaining Russians, is where the fervor to unite these two comes from. Not exactly your run of the mill NHL sibling situation.

I say this irrespective of OP. Evgeni doesn’t have much trade value right now.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There have been several articles published over the past 2-3 years where Andrei repeatedly gushes about his older brother, says he dreams of playing with him, that they’re best friends, etc. That, combined with the notoriety (whether deserved or not) of signing and retaining Russians, is where the fervor to unite these two comes from. Not exactly your run of the mill NHL sibling situation.

I say this irrespective of OP. Evgeni doesn’t have much trade value right now.
I have seen this malady already with the Staal brothers. It was terrible. Then we finally got Eric and he was a 6 foot 3 inch stack of garbage the whole time. Then he rebounds. Hadn't seen that since we acquired/traded Luc Robitaille.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->