GDT: XXVI: Avs/Leafs, Part Two -- Tyson Barrie, Small Wonder

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought Kadri had a terrible game, just trying to do too much. The Leafs goal was on him losing that battle along the wall.

Reactions: missionAvs

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
This dude...That 1st overall is the gift that just keeps on giving.

I'm sure hearing MacKinnon's remark about taking a discount to win with this group of players is still akin to pulling a scab off a wound too soon for a lot of Florida Panther fans. That and Rantanen's last contract signing. LOL.

Reactions: S3rkie

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I hope Jost can mold his game similar to Nuke. I think he can still be an effective bottom-sixer when he's relentless on the puck.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Surprisingly, the Leaf getting the most flack is not Jason Spezza, it's Timashov. I was listening on the radio but did he try and force a pass to the covered guy on a 2-on-1 instead of just taking it to the net himself? He also took a dumb offensive zone hooking penalty that allowed the Avs to open up the scoring.

I will say this about Kyle Dubas: While I think going out of your way to make your team "tougher" and more physical is a surefire way to destroy your franchise (and there's ample proof of this), there's something to be said about the physical side of the game. Sakic and the Avs have done a fine job of finding guys who have good underlying numbers AND move the needle in terms of physical play, like Nuke. Bura obviously isn't a physical guy, but he is big, fast, and skilled with good underlying numbers. Dubas didn't really counter the losses of guys like Kadri and Brown. Mikheyev was a really good find, but opting to waive Shore in favor of Timashov was a mistake.

If nothing else, those scrappy-as-hell forwards will draw penalties, something the Leafs struggle with mightily.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Except he's like one of the least physical guys on the team. Which is fine because he's speedy skilled and responsible. But I don't see the comparison.
The other aspects of his game... he does all the dirty work with MacK and Rants, the hand eye coordination, his forecheck is solid and his attention to detail and back checking all the way into the defensive zone... dude doesn't really panic with the puck, he can hold it long enough to make a play. Yeah, he doesn't lay people out, and those weren't the parts I was referring to... he still goes to the front of the net and to the dirty areas to get the puck/goals.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
I hope Jost can mold his game similar to Nuke. I think he can still be an effective bottom-sixer when he's relentless on the puck.
  • Nuke is huge, skates really well, and has good puck tracking skills/instincts.
  • Jost is small, is really slow for someone his size, but is good at puck tracking.
There is a lot going against Josty for him to be even close to Nuke - and Nuke is our biggest reclamation project since Yakupov. I never want anyone's career to fail and I hope Jost does improve but its a horrible look for him right now at his current form.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Listened to the game, just got around to watching the highlight of MacKs’ goal during lunch break. Good, sweet hockey gods:

e1a9545c-f2e2-40e7-ab34-51db44b0ce32_text.gif

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We saw it down the stretch last season and he was a beast in the playoffs.

Ehhhhh, I certainly wouldn't call him a "beast" in the playoffs. Effective in stretches, yes, but not a "beast" by any means. He's never been that.

As always, he had a game here or there where he looked like he was flying all over the ice and making a difference. That's his talent talking. We know he has that. We know he has the hockey IQ. We certainly know there's nothing lacking in terms of his character or work ethic. So in short stints, yeah, he shines. But none of those attributes is enough to offset his deficits in the long run. The skating isn't, and will never be quite good enough, and he's not big/strong enough to create separation that way.

It's really time to give up the goose. We've pretty much seen all we're going to see from Tyson Jost. I see a fringe NHLer who is getting outplayed by guys like O'Connor and even, to some extent, Tynan. Maybe there's a chance he make a marginal improvement and becomes an okay bottom six forward. But ultimately I think the Avs will move on from him, and soon.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wonder if Nichushkin even gets out there if it isn't Compher taking that dumb penalty. Small sample size (just over 23 mins) and probably a lot of luck involved but Nichushkin has only been on the ice for one goal against on the PK.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really think that Jost can turn into a solid bottom 6 forward... I might be overrating him, but I can see a decent #3C at times and it needs refined. The problem is twofold... First, if he becomes a #3C, he's probably just a decent one and not one you really want to have on a contending team. Second, his spot in the lineup now is spotty and there is a chance that somebody out there is still convinced by their amatuer scouts that he just needs a fresh start. There might be a crazy person that offers up a 2nd round pick like Lazar returned, if you get that, I think you have to accept before they figure out what they've done! If you're just getting just a 4th, or questionable prospect, throw him on the 4th line and maybe something shows up eventually.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I really think that Jost can turn into a solid bottom 6 forward... I might be overrating him, but I can see a decent #3C at times and it needs refined. The problem is twofold... First, if he becomes a #3C, he's probably just a decent one and not one you really want to have on a contending team. Second, his spot in the lineup now is spotty and there is a chance that somebody out there is still convinced by their amatuer scouts that he just needs a fresh start. There might be a crazy person that offers up a 2nd round pick like Lazar returned, if you get that, I think you have to accept before they figure out what they've done! If you're just getting just a 4th, or questionable prospect, throw him on the 4th line and maybe something shows up eventually.

I'd agree that he could be a decent 3C. My issue is that he would be a space filler guy in that role, and he won't be providing any particular skill set that differentiates him. There are some bottom-6 forwards who are just okay, but they either check really well, or their speed is hard to play against. Jost just has an all around meh skill set at this point.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
  • Nuke is huge, skates really well, and has good puck tracking skills/instincts.
  • Jost is small, is really slow for someone his size, but is good at puck tracking.
There is a lot going against Josty for him to be even close to Nuke - and Nuke is our biggest reclamation project since Yakupov. I never want anyone's career to fail and I hope Jost does improve but its a horrible look for him right now at his current form.

It'd be interesting to know what the Stars fans' sentiments were about Nichushkin and his game towards the end of his tenure there.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
It'd be interesting to know what the Stars fans' sentiments were about Nichushkin and his game towards the end of his tenure there.
True. But for me, anyway, the difference is that even if Nuke was being flamed to no end by stars fans, at the end of the day he still had better tools to work with (even if it was just good genetics) that Jost just doesn't have.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We saw it down the stretch last season and he was a beast in the playoffs.

Watch this.

upload_2019-12-5_14-21-57.gif

Note the reach and how he puts the puck forward first... and then he extends the tree trunk legs for puck protection...

...compared to this weak ass shit that Barrie gobbled up no problem...

upload_2019-12-5_14-23-23.gif

upload_2019-12-5_14-23-51.gif

...followed by a weak forecheck that Nuke would have smoked Tyson if it was him.

upload_2019-12-5_14-24-37.gif

It’s just not going to happen.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
The other aspects of his game... he does all the dirty work with MacK and Rants, the hand eye coordination, his forecheck is solid and his attention to detail and back checking all the way into the defensive zone... dude doesn't really panic with the puck, he can hold it long enough to make a play. Yeah, he doesn't lay people out, and those weren't the parts I was referring to... he still goes to the front of the net and to the dirty areas to get the puck/goals.
I absolutely love Don's game, and I'm not at all trying to bicker with you. It's just not what I see when I look at the two of them play. Donskoi seems a lot more 'fast twitch' I guess? Landeskog plays a pragmatic, smooth game when he has the puck.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kadri tends to do too much, it's not just that game. He looks selfish and I hope he won't be like that when he gets his real linemates back.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kadri tends to do too much, it's not just that game. He looks selfish and I hope he won't be like that when he gets his real linemates back.

Given the rotating cast of linemates he's been stuck with it's not too surprising. He really hasn't had a chance to generate chemistry with any of them.

Not that I'm in any rush to break up the MacKinnon/Rantanen tandem but Kadri and Rants seemed to click well in 96's first game back. I imagine there's a lot of similarity between him and Mitch Marner, both playmaking wingers. And Kadri is better off utilizing that nice wrist shot of his as opposed to making passes, which I now see are not terribly accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad